Quantcast

Gallery: Red Bull Rampage Enters a New Evolutionary Stage--Without the Carnage

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Not sure what they were making fun of, but...

Does anyone ever sit back and think why these guys risk becoming quadriplegics, their livelihoods for themselves and their families, in fact their very own precious life just get get a bit of personal glory and a massive adrenaline hit? Is jumping bikes off cliffs worth it?

Red Bull might as well document guys doing massive amounts of cocaine - similar risk / reward!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not sure what they were making fun of, but...

Does anyone ever sit back and think why these guys risk becoming quadriplegics, their livelihoods for themselves and their families, in fact their very own precious life just get get a bit of personal glory and a massive adrenaline hit? Is jumping bikes off cliffs worth it?

Red Bull might as well document guys doing massive amounts of cocaine - similar risk / reward!
its just about... ridin' bikes... and pushin the limits... maaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnn

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
consider the fact that the people making fun of him would probably crash riding off a curb
Well, I mean, if they were making fun of the fact that these guys basically have no survival instinct at all, that's pretty accurate and reasonable. That applies to every person in the competition, though, not just Zink.

What Pslide says is basically what I keep thinking about in the back of my head watching these things. I mean, it's cool to watch and I'm not taking away from these guys working hard at their sport, pushing the limits, etc. But they're basically an unexpected patch of loose rocks away from drooling onto wheelchair arms for the rest of their lives.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
more to the point, you were watching good morning america?
srsly

"no survival instinct?"

Come on. It was survival instinct that made him ditch his bike when he knew he was getting bucked.

And the fact that he landed on his feet going that fast from that far up just proves it's not as dangerous as some of you want to make it out to be. He and most of the guys there have hit jumps in that size range hundreds of times. Go look at the finish jump from chatel last year. Zink flipped that beyotch.

And why do it? Because it's fun as shlt........just like skiing big lines, just like driving rally cars fast.......just like everything else.

People who sit in bumper to bumper 70mph traffic every morning putting their lives in the hands of people they've never met, and then call something like this crazy crack me up.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well, I mean, if they were making fun of the fact that these guys basically have no survival instinct at all, that's pretty accurate and reasonable. That applies to every person in the competition, though, not just Zink.

What Pslide says is basically what I keep thinking about in the back of my head watching these things. I mean, it's cool to watch and I'm not taking away from these guys working hard at their sport, pushing the limits, etc. But they're basically an unexpected patch of loose rocks away from drooling onto wheelchair arms for the rest of their lives.
its not like they just one day up and started doing 60 foot gaps. these guys have been building to this level for years. the know how to jump/drop/etc, but also how to fall. not to mention, they were all riding on lines that that they each picked.

not saying there's no risk to it, but its much more calculated than a single clip can show.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
^wird

And let's be honest.....that jump sucked. Not because it was big but because the lip was to quick for that speed.

When cam mccaul has to bar hump/safety jump it just to straight air it, you know something's up. That thing wanted to buck both of those guys every time they hit it.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
"no survival instinct?"

Come on. It was survival instinct that made him ditch his bike when he knew he was getting bucked.
Well, my comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek. The point being that these are people who are throwing themselves off cliffs - so if they're making fun of them for being willing to do so, that's fair game.

Of course it's fun, and yes, it's always a calculated risk, built on a lot of experience. I've jumped out of airplanes. I've been towed up a mile hanging from a thin piece of fabric on a metal frame and watched the pilot cut the cord. I've driven irresponsibly fast on narrow, twisting roads. I understand the thrill seeking.

Just pointing out that the fail-safes on riding like this are not exactly 100%.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Rampage is like the moon landing. It's too crazy to be legit.

PS Is anyone else annoyed by the way that RM links to these articles? Just open a new tab like a normal person/site/link.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I don't really follow moto, but I was always under the impression that what mountain bikers do at Rampage is a little ho-hum in the world of motocross... those guys send just as big as the Rampage dudes do, but on a more frequent basis, and maybe even a little larger?

am I wrong?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well, my comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek. The point being that these are people who are throwing themselves off cliffs - so if they're making fun of them for being willing to do so, that's fair game.

Of course it's fun, and yes, it's always a calculated risk, built on a lot of experience. I've jumped out of airplanes. I've been towed up a mile hanging from a thin piece of fabric on a metal frame and watched the pilot cut the cord. I've driven irresponsibly fast on narrow, twisting roads. I understand the thrill seeking.

and yet you stick to the safe activity of bird watching ;) :nerd:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yes.......this is in fact slightly more dangerous than watching TV. Got me there :D

I've been towed up a mile hanging from a thin piece of fabric on a metal frame and watched the pilot cut the cord.
There was a shaved goat involved too right?
Fraternities do some weird shlt.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i do think the rampage has become way too dangerous.

i mean, there are other risky (or more risky) sports, out there, like motor racing... but usually, there are passive safety devices; and courses are designed with run off zones, and several "just in case" devices.

the rampage, is just ridiculous lines, on very exposed terrain with nothing more than a helmet (which in many cases, are even DOT certified) and some knee pads.

there is virtually, no margin for error.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i do think the rampage has become way too dangerous.

i mean, there are other risky (or more risky) sports, out there, like motor racing... but usually, there are passive safety devices; and courses are designed with run off zones, and several "just in case" devices.

the rampage, is just ridiculous lines, on very exposed terrain with nothing more than a helmet (which in many cases, are even DOT certified) and some knee pads.

there is virtually, no margin for error.
don't turn this into one of those discussions

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
That's different than balls out racing on wet steep rooty dh courses how?
not much different, although i have a feeling if there were as many rampages per year as there are WC races, we would be seeing big injuries (like gracia´s or llanes´) much more often.

and, of course, just because balls out racing in wet roots isnt as insane as the rampage, it does not mean it is not insane.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Zink lucky he doesn't have brain injury or compressed vertabrae. That jump was a daredevil nitro-circus stunt....

Just glad there were no serious injuries in the competition.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
not much different, although i have a feeling if there were as many rampages per year as there are WC races, we would be seeing big injuries (like gracia´s or llanes´) much more often.
No because it wouldn't be a once every two years event where the desire to stand out and win the thing is much stronger.

just because balls out racing in wet roots isnt as insane as the rampage,
Pssst........it IS. With the exact same level of protection with WAY more shlt to run into.

People decide what chances to take and where to be reserved just like any high profile dh race. There are commonly sections on those courses that are just as fast as some of the lower lines at the rampage with risky options that people choose or don't choose to do. It's really not any different.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I rather ride some of those lines than that crazy-ass, fully exposed Puruvian downhill.

I'm surprised to hear some of these comments. Just because you wouldn't do something doesn't make it certifiably crazy or impossible. Despite all the bro-ness these guys are pros who are making calculated risks.

And hey, the dirt out there looks pretty soft. :D