Quantcast

Garage storage - what'cha got?

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I'm finally finishing up the reno's inside of the house and will be tackling the mess which is my garage. Do any of your use an organization system? Something with a built-in workbench, cabinets and overhead storage? How much did it cost you? got pics?

heres a frontflip for your trouble

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I just got a new garage! Still got my homemade work bench, but also just picked up some new shelves for storage. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Also, I have 8 bikes and have been contemplating fabbing up some sort of bike rack for them.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I am in the process of pimping out my screen printing shop. It's basically a glorified garage.

I have one general rule: if it can't be lifted with one arm, it goes on wheels.

Pics later.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Any leads for the cheapest particle board cabinets? I'm thinking it would be cheapest to buy the tall and overhead cabinets and build them around my workbench. I'm looking to get a result like this:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Any leads for the cheapest particle board cabinets?
"Free Stuff" or "Materials" sections on Craig's List.

I see cabinets from kitchen and garage remodels on there all the time.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Putting stuff on wheels is good advise. My garage is cramped, but my tablesaw, framejig, and surface plate are all on wheels and get tucked in the corners when not in use.
If you have head room, get some tall shelves. Stuff you only need once a year can go on the top and be access with a ladder.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
This is what I have to work with

The damn thing is half filled with boxes at the moment. I like your pegboard slug, I'm going to have to put that somewhere.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I like your pegboard slug, I'm going to have to put that somewhere.
Love that thing.

I hate searching for things... if it is in a drawer I will either not find it or not put it away properly.

I still need to get more fixutres - tons of crap still on the benchtop

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
is the ceiling drywalled? That would be too bad. The rafters are an awesome place to store weird shaped long things that you hardly ever use.

j.les

Monkey
Jul 21, 2007
Chicago
Here's some pics of my garage

Workbench area. I got a ton of oak cabinets free from the guy who built my garage. He got them from rehabbing a big apt. complex.

Corner shelves I built to fit right behind the door when it's open.

I put shelves in between the studs, saves space. Also, I love these magnetic strips from Ikea. I made a thread on them here: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204790

Wall o' bikes:

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
Oh man, this thread is all me. Just got done with a HUGE renovation of the garage.

When I get home tonight I will take pictures and do a full write up.

Let me just mention this: Bicycles take up an assload of space.

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
Oh yeah, and look at IKEA for cabinetry. Not the best materials (though you did specify partcile board), but the prices are unbeatable and they are easy as heck to install.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Looks like you have a great space to work with, but what happened to your water heater?

I can only agree with everything above. Wheels, Pegboards, Craigslist!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I don't have a garage but I have a spare bedroom serving as my shop. For a bike rack I rigged up an extra large garment rack with some sliding hooks that I Macgyver'd up. The sliding hooks really help pack the bikes together, it takes up way less space than the typical set up with hooks spaced 2 feet apart or whatever. It's sometimes a hassle to separate them but worth it for the space savings. I can get six bikes on there and it's only about 6 feet wide.

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
As promised, some pictures.

BEFORE (Spring 2008):

AFTER (November 2008):

SOME of the project components:
-Walls to bare studs, new electric, new sheetrock
-Full slatwall installed for tons of tool hanging room
-Partial ceiling overhangs for storage
-Fresh paint everywhere (including ceiling!)
-Jackhammered original floor, poured new concrete, polyamide epoxy coating
-Custom work bench, built from scratch
-Brand new windows
-Cabinetry and shelving units from IKEA
-Fully integrated stereo and computer components (iMac coming after money opens up)
-Tons and tons and tons of new power tools and other tools/accessories

As for the original topic, storage is as follows:
FIRST SHELF CASE: Car cleaning supplies, manuals, hardware, automotive fluids
SECOND SHELF CASE: Car cleaning supplies, brooms, XC/road bike helmets, bike pump
FIRST LOW CABINET: Stereo components, paint supplies, electrical supplies, drywall supplies, adhesives
SECOND LOW CABINET: Large fan, 3 gal compressor, Wagner power sprayer, power washer
CABINET OVER WORK BENCH: Spray paint, paper towels
WORK BENCH CABINETS/ DRAWERS: Gloves, goggles, masks, towels, buffing cloths, power tools, wet/dry vac
GREY TOOL CHEST: 'Standard' tools, for everyday use
BLACK TOOL CHEST: Bicycle specific tools and spare parts only

Yeah, I am gloating, but I deserve it. Besides hanging some of the sheetrock and digging up the old floor, I did this entire project solo over the course of the last 7 months. Every last detail is considered for function and ease of use, and once the final bits are done and installed over the winter I can't wait to basically live out here next summer. Oh, and by the way, all the 'dirty bikes' are stored in the shed in the back yard.

Mike

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
Isn't the AC facing the wrong way?

I don't have much of a choice. The garage connects directly to the house, and the previous owners had a huge, hideous AC unit mounted into the wall here.

When presented with the choice of a non-weird looking garage or a bearable house during the summer, I upgraded the AC unit but left it it its original location. I fabbed up an aluminum drip tray underneath it to prevent the condensation from destroying the cabinets. Can't win em all.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I don't have much of a choice. The garage connects directly to the house, and the previous owners had a huge, hideous AC unit mounted into the wall here.

When presented with the choice of a non-weird looking garage or a bearable house during the summer, I upgraded the AC unit but left it it its original location. I fabbed up an aluminum drip tray underneath it to prevent the condensation from destroying the cabinets. Can't win em all.
Gottcha, what part of the country do you live in?

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
and how much did all that run you?

Out of fear, I have purposely not totalled this project up. The big killer was the floor– originally I had budgeted about a grand to skim coat the whole thing. After meeting with a half dozen contractors, none of them would take the job and assured me that a skim coat would crack along the same lines of the existing cracks within a year. I decided to suck it up and add some value to the house by re-doing the entire floor (the pour and float was the only part I hired a contractor for), which ended up almost 3 times over budget. I would guess between $5k-$6k all said and done.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
$5k-$6k all said and done.
!!!

I'm trying to do my garage on the smallest budget ever. I'm stopping by a demolition company after work to check out some cabinets for $25 each. If they measure up, I'll have 6 of these guys delivered tomorrow. I can choose from white or black. Not bad, eh? Also, a workbench from Harbor Freight is on the way.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Northwest NJ.
Oh nice! I work in central Orange County NY.

I was asking where you live because I was wondering how often you run your AC. NW NJ means you don't run it to to much.

Yet again, your garage is very nice and one of the best I've seen. $5-6k aint that bad. did you put control joints in the slab to help with cracking? Any concern about the slab movement effecting the epoxy?

roaddog

Chimp
Nov 15, 2006
Cloud City, USA
All I have is a 10x10 shed with about as many bikes as in some of these photos. With all the clothes accessories and trimmings to go with. So I am just gonna put a basement under the house. Nearly finished with the excavating.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Not really what you were after, but here's my garage:

It has to share space with the gym, storage and all my bikes & bits.

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
Oh nice! I work in central Orange County NY.

I was asking where you live because I was wondering how often you run your AC. NW NJ means you don't run it to to much.

Yet again, your garage is very nice and one of the best I've seen. $5-6k aint that bad. did you put control joints in the slab to help with cracking? Any concern about the slab movement effecting the epoxy?

We only ran the AC maybe a total of 2 weeks out of the summer - the humidity gets downright awful sometimes.

$5-6k isn't bad, but it's also not cheap. Bear in mind that I had to spend $100 for a jackhammer, $375 for a concrete dumpster and $2900 for new conrete to be poured, when a skim coat would have probably only cost $800 tops if the floor was manageable.

I am not concerned with the new slab cracking at all. After digging up the old one, it was obvious that there was no QP, no ground leveling beforehand, no wire mesh, and an inconsistent depth between 2-4". We leveled the dirt and used a concrete mix with fiberglass integrated into it for even more strength than a wire mesh system. The new slab is an even 5" deep, and I let it cure for 45 days before laying the epoxy. Shouldn't have any problems with cracking (or so I have been told).

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
The nice thing about working with a lot of different building trades is I know a lot of people who's tools I can borrow.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
After picking up 3 top/bottom sets of cabinets from the demolition company mentioned earlier, I finally got around to installing them on Tuesday. My garage is sloped so I had to build stands for the cabs to keep them level. My Home Depot material list:

-10' laminated kitchen countertop
-Sheet of pegboard
-2x10's
-2x4's
-Misc length wood screws
TOTAL = $350 including cabinets. Not bad!

I've yet to mount the rest of the pegboard to the right side of the wall and fine tune the door alignments.

edit: I cancelled the Harbor Freight workbench.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2008
mavisdale,va
I don't have a garage...I did turn the dinning room into the bike room till i build one tho.It's not really big enuff,i have room to park the 2 bikes i ride the most(most ofetn the 29er and the SS) and the workbench and repair stand (but i gotta move the stand out to use it).Pretty much everything else (bike stuff) is religated to the shed.

Of course,whenever i get around to building one,i'll most likely fill it (besides the bike stuff) w/ either a minitruck project,and/or another 40's-50's hotrod project:shocked:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ok it's not technically my "garage", cause it's not at my house. But it was an auto shop, so that counts.

I lost a bunch of pics in a hard drive crash, but here's a few.

As I first saw it. The neighbor was storing motorcycles there. Some keyboard player guy went and checked it out with me.

After move in, buying some materials and making a general mess of the place:

Starting on the sound-proof wall. This is my new screen printing shop and rehearsal space, so I had to wall off the front roll-up door and build an inner wall/door to block sound from escaping out of the smaller glass door.

Inside view after the framing is done:

Recycled denim and natural fiber insulation (excellent sound absorption and it don't itch one bit)

I squirted miles of this caulk:

I need to recover many pics, but here's what happened in the interim: (not in this exact order)

Plumbing re-routed, electrical re-routed, lighting replaced, ceiling exhaust fan replaced, moldy drywall around the bathroom replaced, sound proof walls put up, dual 150 lb cement board covered doors put up, vinyl cove base molding installed, drywall taped and sanded, stainless steel washout sink installed, floor degreased, walls painted, shelving erected, desks assembled, coffee maker plugged in and over used, conveyor dryer purchased-refurbished-cleaned-installed, old conveyor dryer refurbished-cleaned-sold, industrial straight stitch sewing machine purchased-refurbished-cleaned-installed, vacuum exposure unit refurbished-cleaned-installed, screen printing press refurbished-cleaned-adjusted-tweaked-installed, drum kit set up...

Bicycle mechanics make great screen printing machine techs:

This shot shows the wall put up in the opening of the roll up door. The door comes down just behind it.

The press, all clean and adjusted and happy. (like me)

Older Ranar dryer (new to me) with IR panels and forced air: (w00t!)

It can punch the needle right through the top of your thumb and not skip a stitch. I love it.

Still some work to do but it's 90% there.

I'll post more when the shop is 100%. The bathroom still needs work. It was an auto shop after all - they don't take care of bathrooms very well. :eek: