Quantcast

Gargamel - Holy Crap

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Ok I am at work so can't do a full write up but

1) if you are in whistler
2) have a BIG 4x4 truck with a shuttle (unless you like extended mountain side fireroad climbs)
3) have a day to play in whistler
4) LOVE steeps, steeps and more steep with some stunts thrown in and some serious mountain side exposure.
5) want a good 2 - 4 hour dh run (with some sessioning)

Then hit this trail. I could only ride about 50 to 60% (by the end I likely would have had the confidence to ride upwards of 70%) but holy CRAP this trail is worth the 45 minute drive to the top. It has a little of everything (including some climbs I might add haha)..3 of the guys I was riding with (including SLC) cleaned almost everything but the 2 big drops (more normal drops (8 and 12 ft) but seriously crazy trannies) so the trail is doable :)

cheers

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
After seeing it in the Collective I want to ride it. Where is the trail head and where would I get other info about it?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Did you stop at Ians house for some Beers and Bike talk?? A recent issue of Bike did an expose on bike homes and his was one of them. The trail ends at his back door. Sounds like serious fun.... almost worth the drive all the way from here to do it....

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
The trail 'flows' towards a fire rode and another trail. I did see a side trail which I would think eventually leads to a house. But no I didn't. I just hopped on the highway for the dreaded ride home :)

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Tell SLC the guy I got to shuttle will gladly do it anytime. So as long as he isn't working he can drive you up :)

That's sounds narly. What kind of bike were you on and do you have trouble with any of the trails at Whistler?
I dont ride the mountain much, but I can handle myself on any black. Double blacks sometimes bury me :) I don't do air, so really leaves me off a-line and DM :)

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Roasted said:
Tell SLC the guy I got to shuttle will gladly do it anytime. So as long as he isn't working he can drive you up :)

I dont ride the mountain much, but I can handle myself on any black. Double blacks sometimes bury me :) I don't do air, so really leaves me off a-line and DM :)
How about doing it again this coming saturday? I'd love to check out that trail. I'll supply the beer for the driver :D

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Unfortunately this guy doesn't have a truck. This usually applies to people who bring the truck up and then he can drive you around.

He doesn't drink beer ;)

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Road is really rough, really steep and you definately need 4x4. The water trenches aren't toooo bad (compared to the other road)...

I wouldn't be able to show you around, but if the truck is built for it I could arrange a shuttle possibly. Depends on the other guys schedule.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
How tight is the road up? I dont mind a rough road but I dont want any scratches on my NEW truck just yet. We will be shuttling Gargamel on Mon. We have never done it so if someone wants to show us around.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
hey everyone i am going to bump this thread because i need some help in august with this one. A bunch of us are headed out to whistler/van for a trip in august (unfortunately the only time we can go is right smack during crankworx)...

Anyway i have been to the mountain before and looking to put together a less tourist trap style trip so if anyone can help me with directions/tips for gargamel let me know...

just shoot me an email if you can help at william.kirk@gmail.com

and if anyone is up for showing a bunch of yanks the ropes on this trail let me know, def a case of beer in it for you.

_Bill

Jun 18, 2004
By the looks of your webpage you can do better than just a case of beer... ps They don't drink Fosters in Australia

hey everyone i am going to bump this thread because i need some help in august with this one. A bunch of us are headed out to whistler/van for a trip in august (unfortunately the only time we can go is right smack during crankworx)...

Anyway i have been to the mountain before and looking to put together a less tourist trap style trip so if anyone can help me with directions/tips for gargamel let me know...

and if anyone is up for showing a bunch of yanks the ropes on this trail let me know, def a case of beer in it for you.

_Bill

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle

_Bill
Tis a super fun trail! Go into ANY of the shops and get a valley trail map. You will be amazed at just how much there is outside of the bike park. Since gargamel is on the map, the shop should have no issues helping with how to get there.

We did the ride up to ride down. It was a grunt but made for a complete and fun day. We were spent though afterwards. The plan was to get up early-ish and start the climb. Do the trail, grab some lunch and hit extended play. Extended play never happened :)

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
I have no idea if this is true, but we were told last summer that US plated cars have been vandalized up there. The locals are stoked to let folks ride the trail, but we were told our best bet was to ride up.

Again, no idea if this is true, so take it for what it's worth...

ebxtreme

Monkey
Apr 25, 2007
Bellingham
I have no idea if this is true, but we were told last summer that US plated cars have been vandalized up there. The locals are stoked to let folks ride the trail, but we were told our best bet was to ride up.

Again, no idea if this is true, so take it for what it's worth...
Yes, shuttling of the trail is looked down upon by the locals as the climb serves as a natural way to keep gapers off the trail, but I don't know if anyone's vehicle has been vandalized. Sounds like folk lore to me. Also, fwiw, you better have a truck (two trucks really as you'll need to fetch the other) with really good clearance to get up there. The road up (after the Y) is super primitive and there are some huge water bars in the middle that most rigs will drag on.

IMO, shuttling the trail would be more effort than it's worth anyway, as it's not that bad of a climb/push.

EB

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yeah after some helpful insight from folks and doing my research i am definately not going to shuttle this trail. Sounds like a pedal/push up is a must and that is one of the things that i like about it.

I ride xc 3 or so times a week so i dont mind a good work out on the way up...looking fwd to it.

Jun 18, 2004
I guess I won't be driving my truck up there then...

I know this gal that works up there and she said they shuttled it; but they are Canadian and that was a few seasons back so nevermind...

I'll just pedal and push it