Quantcast

Gas Grills?

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I think the problem is the way that I start it, not sure if there's a cleaner way, but a newspaper with a drizzle of oil acts as a wick so it burns longer and faster and gets the charcoal ready super quick...problem is it does smoke and cast off some embers. Is there a better way of lighting them in the chimney?
I don't use oil, just crumple a few pieces of newspaper.
Lights up quick, usually just takes one match and boom, it goes. Very little smoke. In less than 10 minutes I have a whole chimney of coals.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Sandwich-

You're not from the south are you? You moved from someplace else?

Just use newspaper, but not too much. I think I used 2 full sheets....

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I think the problem is the way that I start it, not sure if there's a cleaner way, but a newspaper with a drizzle of oil acts as a wick so it burns longer and faster and gets the charcoal ready super quick...problem is it does smoke and cast off some embers. Is there a better way of lighting them in the chimney?
Not sure, anybody use one of these?

The amount of smoke (and chance that it lights the first time) depends on the newspaper. Real newspaper seems to light better than the thicker, free ones that I usually end up trying to use. The thicker ones also leave quite a bit more ash behind... Maybe I should just give up and start buying a newspaper for those times when I need to light the grill.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
I just use this...

With the lump charcoal it only takes about a 10 second blast in about 3 spots to get it to take off. A bottle cost about 8 bucks and if I just use it to light the grill it lasts about 2 years and we grill all year around. Sounds cool too.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
By the way, as long as we've sidetracked this onto Charcoal grilling, I have these and they are AWESOME. Keeps the coals contained and directs more of the heat directly up towards your food.

If you don't have them, I'd HIGHLY suggest trying them out.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
If you're buying a new grill, the Weber 22" charcoal kettle with propane assist start kicks ass. Same idea as bushwacker but self-contained and you can get the coals glowing fast. Can't solder pipes with it though, so go bushwackers route if you need a dual purpose option.

Randomshot

Monkey
Mar 12, 2009
Ft. Collins
my girlfriend and i just have a fire pit, wanna grill? then we go out chop wood drink around the fire and when coals are ready the cookings ready, if im really worried about time then im not going to grill. wood tastes the best to cook off of!!! just a little slow

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
So you use propane to light a charcoal grill? Seems a bit oxymoronic doesn't it?

Why not just a good old match and some newspaper and one of them there charcoal chimney thingamajigs?

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Sarka Grills....

Gas grill that you can also go charcoal on with just a quick inlay type piece. (Same grill)

Yes. They're $$$. Built like a brick sh!thouse though....

From the site...

What is the warranty on my grill?

- 25 years on stainless steel
- 10 years on cast iron burner
- 1 year on the regulator, hoses, valves, knobs, igniters

Last edited:

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
If you're buying a new grill, the Weber 22" charcoal kettle with propane assist start kicks ass. Same idea as bushwacker but self-contained and you can get the coals glowing fast. Can't solder pipes with it though, so go bushwackers route if you need a dual purpose option.
that's the Weber Performer 22.5 i sell Weber at my store.