Quantcast

gatorade vs pedialyte

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'm sitting here listening to sports talk radio, and an ex-football player (Brian Cox, for those of you who care) just mentioned that pedialyte is better for your electrolites than gatorade. Anyone ever heard anything like this? I wouldn't doubt if it was lower in sugar than gatorade, but more electrolites?

some interesting info from the pedialyte site...
http://www.pedialyte.com/howpedialytecanhelp/advantages.cfm

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Yes. My entire college track career i was given that when i cramped up.

Same goes for the 16 years I played football. Summer 2 a days would regularly knock guys down. Pedialyte works really well to get you back in shape, hydration wise.

edit: pedialyte isn't baby food. It's a solution given to infants when they have diarrhea - it helps to get them hydrated again. Dehydration can quickly become fatal to infants.

http://www.pedialyte.com/

Pedialyte® Oral Electrolyte Maintenance Solution — the #1 pediatrician recommended solution to prevent dehydration due to diarrhea or vomiting. Pedialyte is specially formulated for infants and children to quickly replace lost fluid.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Yep, pedialyte works better than gatorade. You just have to drink more of it but it's great for when you're sick and such. It's gotta be less in the bad stuff because you give it to baby's. Unless you want to feed your kid Gatorade to wire it all up with sugar :) but you know what I mean. In track we use to drink pedialyte instead of gatorade. Tastes nasty but it's better for you though (as far as I know of)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Transcend said:
edit: pedialyte isn't baby food. It's a solution given to infants when they have diarrhea - it helps to get them hydrated again. Dehydration can quickly become fatal to infants.
yea... I think it's made by the same people who make pediasure, but pediasure is more like forumula/milk.

kiwiintexas

Chimp
Nov 30, 2005
I play rugby in Texas during the summer (100 plus heat) and I have always suffered pretty bad from dehydration. I started drinking of pediatlyte after games instead of a gallon bottle of gatorade, this seems to have fixed my dehydration. Beware though it tastes pretty bad,get the flavourless kind, I mix mine with cranberry juice. And yes works pretty good after a bender esp. if you have it before you go to bed.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
The Toninator said:
I know a few people who drink that after a bender.
I've helped more than a few college friends out after they have had a "bit" too much to drink by giving them pedialyte. Didn't know it was used in sports, but it seems to have a less syrupy taste and is gentle onthe stomach.

Of course I don't think it comes in EXTREME!!!! BLUE RAGE!!!!

The Ito

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Another popular drink with the endurance crowd is Ensure. I've never had it, but a lot of triathletes and adventure races swear by the stuff.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Echo said:
I'm of the opinion that Gatorade is not a good sports drink.

I just drink water mixed with the electrolyte additive Elete.

I started using elete a couple of years ago and I never go out in the phoenix heat, or to a race without it.