Quantcast

Gaza pull out

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
The strange thing about race and "identity" is that prior to 1948, Jews and Arabs living in this area were all Palestinians.

It is also interesting that the Palestinian Draft Constitution, that while the state will have Islam as its official religion, it still has a great deal of religious freedom built into it. And citizenship is provided to all that lived in Palestine before 1948 and is extended to all their direct descendents.

Also Sartre suggested in his book Anti-Semite and Jew that the Jewish identity "is neither national nor international, neither religious nor ethnic, nor political: it is a quasi-historical community." And that anti-semitism helps preserve and promote the Jewish community because it drives it closer together, protection in numbers so to speak. In an extreme statement "It is the anti-Semite who creates the Jew." Its all based on his belief that hatred is created (based on fantasy not reality) to provide a sense of superiority over something or someone. And the more rampant the hate becomes the tighter the hated become. Of course, it makes an interesting study to replace Jew with something else and Anti-semite with something else.

Andy if you have never read it, I'm pretty sure you would enjoy it.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
DRB said:
Also Sartre suggested in his book Anti-Semite and Jew that the Jewish identity "is neither national nor international, neither religious nor ethnic, nor political: it is a quasi-historical community." And that anti-semitism helps preserve and promote the Jewish community because it drives it closer together, protection in numbers so to speak. In an extreme statement "It is the anti-Semite who creates the Jew." Its all based on his belief that hatred is created (based on fantasy not reality) to provide a sense of superiority over something or someone. And the more rampant the hate becomes the tighter the hated become. Of course, it makes an interesting study to replace Jew with something else and Anti-semite with something else.
Sounds interesting... and without knowing the details, I would say sounds valid, though more as a major contributing factor. I don't believe that one can claim all group bonding behavior is driven by fear.

It is definitely interested to apply the model to other sitautions...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
ohio said:
Sounds interesting... and without knowing the details, I would say sounds valid, though more as a major contributing factor. I don't believe that one can claim all group bonding behavior is driven by fear.

It is definitely interested to apply the model to other sitautions...
No definately not. Fear or reaction against hatred is a portion of the whole but (and I can't find the exact quote) it creates a particular ferocity that other groups (those not the target of hatred) don't exhibit.

Some of the book is dated because the formation of Israel had not occurred when he wrote it. But it would have been a logical extention of what he claims.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
DRB said:
What's theirs? As defined by who?

You should stick to bitc... I mean fixing NORBA before you take on the UN.
Well that certainly is the question of the day isn't it? It shouldn't be hard to divey up a ****HOLE that really isn't of value to anyone.

I would dive into the middle east before i went anywhere NEAR norba.

Also, I have a few degrees that qualify me for trying to fix the middle east, nothing even remotely close to fixing the disaster that is norba.

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Transcend said:
Either way they all just need to give each other back what is theirs,
Unfortunately, the solution is not that simple. I think the Arabs do not want a jewish state in that region but the land was given to the jews based on all the outcome and settlements at the end of WW2. If the solution is as simple as giving back what's theirs, then the mexicans might want Texas back. Before you know it, you might have to give up your home to the first nations.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
PoserNewbie said:
Unfortunately, the solution is not that simple. I think the Arabs do not want a jewish state in that region but the land was given to the jews based on all the outcome and settlements at the end of WW2. If the solution is as simple as giving back what's theirs, then the mexicans might want Texas back. Before you know it, you might have to give up your home to the first nations.
Nah. Not even the Mexicans want Texas.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
DRB said:
And that anti-semitism helps preserve and promote the Jewish community because it drives it closer together, protection in numbers so to speak. In an extreme statement "It is the anti-Semite who creates the Jew." Its all based on his belief that hatred is created (based on fantasy not reality) to provide a sense of superiority over something or someone. And the more rampant the hate becomes the tighter the hated become. Of course, it makes an interesting study to replace Jew with something else and Anti-semite with something else.
Yes, This is very interesting to me too. I think this is a good general theory. It does describe a lot of situations.

Dark Knight Returns anyone?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Changleen said:
http://www.middleeastfacts.com/Articles/the-truth-of-242.php

There is the equally biased crap from the other side.

Its this kind of extremist crap that gets this region in trouble. "Look at me as I spout the TRUTH of the situation." Well anyone that is preaching truth with a captial T might as well move the hell on because they aren't helping anything. Didn't they ever learn that there are two sides to every story and if you ignore one side you might as well ignore the other. Or that sometimes Why is an important question. If folks like both of these idiots would shut their mouths and let the moderates run the show, it would have been resolved long ago.

Have ya'll noticed who the age of the vast majority of the Jewish protestors in Gaza? Samething with the normal Palestinian suicide bomber. For the most part they are kids. Impressionable teenagers that got lead down this path of distruction by some idiot similar to the ones above.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
DRB said:
Have ya'll noticed who the age of the vast majority of the Jewish protestors in Gaza? Samething with the normal Palestinian suicide bomber. For the most part they are kids. Impressionable teenagers that got lead down this path of distruction by some idiot similar to the ones above.
One thing about that, in israel kids are VERY politicly active, especialy the teens who can not vote yet thier atitude is that they can't vote so they will do evorything in thier power to change people opinion as to make it so thier opinion counts for something.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
TheMontashu said:
One thing about that, in israel kids are VERY politicly active, especialy the teens who can not vote yet thier atitude is that they can't vote so they will do evorything in thier power to change people opinion as to make it so thier opinion counts for something.
This isn't my normal shot at teenagers but there is a reason that they don't let kids vote. Opinions at that age are typically not well thought out nor well founded. Additionally "their" opinion is usually going to be someone else's opinion (a teacher, an iman, a rabbi or the exact opposite of their parents' opinion). Most kids (well most people for that matter) are easily swayed by a forceful speaker that talks in absolutes and that don't bog down their statements with pesky facts. And lets not even get into the emotional nature of the typical teenager, all jacked up on hormones. Toss in a little religious zeal and you got a mess waiting to happen.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
DRB said:
This isn't my normal shot at teenagers but there is a reason that they don't let kids vote. Opinions at that age are typically not well thought out nor well founded. Additionally "their" opinion is usually going to be someone else's opinion (a teacher, an iman, a rabbi or the exact opposite of their parents' opinion). Most kids (well most people for that matter) are easily swayed by a forceful speaker that talks in absolutes and that don't bog down their statements with pesky facts. And lets not even get into the emotional nature of the typical teenager, all jacked up on hormones. Toss in a little religious zeal and you got a mess waiting to happen.
I agree with you, but what I said about israeli teens is very much true