Quantcast

Gear Ratio's

x-vert

Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Hey guys, can someone explain the whole gear ration stuff on shimano components to me. I dont quite get it how the ratios work.

Thanks.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Here's a gear chart. The numbers across the top are the front rings and the left hand column is the rear cluster. There is a lot of overlap in the gears.

A 42x16 is the same as a 32x12.

Also, the middle ring on a standard shimano setup covers all but the three smallest gears(22x34 thru 22x26) and two largest(42x12 and 42x14).

Gain ratio is suppose to take into account the crank length, sprocket sizes and tire diameter as oppose to gear ratio which is only sprocket size and tire size.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
TheMontashu said:
damn steeyv you love that site
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_d.html#downhill

Downhill Racing
I consider this fad to be bad for cycling, and contrary to the spirit of cycling. It is effectively just a variant form of motorcycle racing, since the power is provided by the machinery that carries the rider and bike to the top of the run. Bicycling should be a human-powered activity, or it is not bicycling.

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
sanjuro said:

Downhill Racing
I consider this fad to be bad for cycling, and contrary to the spirit of cycling. It is effectively just a variant form of motorcycle racing, since the power is provided by the machinery that carries the rider and bike to the top of the run. Bicycling should be a human-powered activity, or it is not bicycling.
so do you not like downhill racing aswell?

or just sheldon brown. :confused:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
sanjuro said:

Downhill Racing
:stosh::nuts: you are lame

no dirt he is getting a gemini

sanjuro said:

Downhill Racing
hes right you know......

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
UltraViolet said:
hes right you know......

why whats so bad about DH?

Im not going to argue over weather DH is good or bad for the sport. that would be pointless.

I enjoy riding and racing XC and I enjoy DH just as much. I mean if all mountain bikers rode XC and only XC we would not have the nice 4-5 inch travel FS trail bikes that keep the sport alive. we would all be riding hardtails with 63mm travel forks set up so stiff they would'nt move even if you nose dived off a house.

DH is a awsome part of our sport. beacuse of DH we are able to enjoy XC and trail bikes with more travel, that can sometimes pedal as well as a hartail. And because of XC DHers now have better pedaling lighter weight bikes though the use of well engineered of bob resistint linkages and stable platform shocks and forks.

beacuse of DH XC bikes are now lighter and stiffer, beacuse of lessons learned on DH courses that flex and stress frames,forks and focus large forces on suspention linkages and rear shocks.

its a circle if almost anything learned from DH can be applied to make a better XC or trail bike and alot of of things learned from XC can be used to make abetter DH/freeride bike.

we all love bikes that what makes us mountain bikers

Dirt rider said:
why whats so bad about DH?

Im not going to argue over weather DH is good or bad for the sport. that would be pointless.

I enjoy riding and racing XC and I enjoy DH just as much. I mean if all mountain bikers rode XC and only XC we would not have the nice 4-5 inch travel FS trail bikes that keep the sport alive. we would all be riding hardtails with 63mm travel forks set up so stiff they would'nt move even if you nose dived off a house.

DH is a awsome part of our sport. beacuse of DH we are able to enjoy XC and trail bikes with more travel, that can sometimes pedal as well as a hartail. And because of XC DHers now have better pedaling lighter weight bikes though the use of well engineered of bob resistint linkages and stable platform shocks and forks.

beacuse of DH XC bikes are now lighter and stiffer, beacuse of lessons learned on DH courses that flex and stress frames,forks and focus large forces on suspention linkages and rear shocks.

its a circle if almost anything learned from DH can be applied to make a better XC or trail bike and alot of of things learned from XC can be used to make abetter DH/freeride bike.

we all love bikes that what makes us mountain bikers

i'm not agenst DH just the bikes which are used, ever tried riding a hardtail down hill? or even a fully ridgid bike? your speed is greatly reduced just for the fact its hard to keep your feet on the bike. but we are riding after all, and not being straped into a machine which takes out all bumps under a couple of feet high.
i could woffle on but i just think the bikes these days are getting a little crazy...

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
UltraViolet said:
i'm not agenst DH just the bikes which are used, ever tried riding a hardtail down hill? or even a fully ridgid bike? your speed is greatly reduced just for the fact its hard to keep your feet on the bike. but we are riding after all, and not being straped into a machine which takes out all bumps under a couple of feet high.
i could woffle on but i just think the bikes these days are getting a little crazy...

Maybe my full suspension bike just sucks, but I still find myself having to "ride" my bike to keep it going, just because I'm not always pedalling doesn't mean I'm not riding. There will always be off camber surfaces, tight corners, mud, sand... conditions in which suspension or the lack of it will make absolutely no differance. Why not ride full suspension so you can forget (to an extent) about how rough the trail is and focus on what riding really is.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
ok i jus went riding today and i know i woulda been in a world of pain if i used my ht for dh instead of my bb7. whats your vendetta against dh? i do dh and i do xc. i enjoy both of them equally. there both different types of rushes. i dont see why you need to be so closed minded about things such as this

lovebunny said:
ok i jus went riding today and i know i woulda been in a world of pain if i used my ht for dh instead of my bb7. whats your vendetta against dh? i do dh and i do xc. i enjoy both of them equally. there both different types of rushes. i dont see why you need to be so closed minded about things such as this
i'm not agenst DH one bit, i just think the very cool DH bikes are getting a little too crazy realy