Quantcast

Gearing for 4X/DS

trevorson8

Chimp
May 5, 2008
Boston, MA
I'm building up a new 4X/DS bike, and I'm trying to figure out what to put on it as far as gearing. I've been racing since it was normal to have a 42t ring on a slalom bike, but everyone's about high RPM now....which makes sense. What are people running front and back?

32t? 34t? 36t?
What about cassettes?

I want to have the acceleration, but I'm afraid of spinning out on fast courses.

Also, just to get people riled up....X9 or XT?

Thanks!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Personally I'd run a 34-36t, with an 11-28 cassette. That way you don't have to double shift like you would with an 11-23/25 cassette, and you get a little closer ratio than with an 11-32. A road cassette isn't a bad idea either though.

I'm an XT kinda guy these days; X9 just doesn't last as well. All my stuff is Sram-free (aside from my fork) and I plan to keep it that way unless Shimano tries to screw us with dual control again!

trevorson8

Chimp
May 5, 2008
Boston, MA
What do you mean by double shifting? Why would a road cassette be a better option than one of the small mountain cassettes?

Right now I think I'm running a 36x11-28 on a full suspension bike and I just want a little direct power transfers from a stand-still. I'm building up a hardtail (so that will help), but I'm thinking a 34x11-28 will give me that but I won't spin out if I find myself on some crazy fast course (like last year's at Windham).

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
What do you mean by double shifting? Why would a road cassette be a better option than one of the small mountain cassettes?
If you have really tight gaps like a road cassette (11-23 or so) will give, you'll have to shift more to get a tangible change in gearing. Great for roadies riding on the flats to maintain a perfect cadence, but IMO it's better to have a bigger gap in ratio for each shift.

I never said a road cassette would be better, just that it (and an 11-28 or so mountain cassette) would both work well.