Quantcast

GeForce 8800GTX

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
so after picking up a Sceptre 22" monitor. i decided my Geforce 6800GT SLi is not good enough.
so i just ordered a 8800GTX SLi

my box is,
AMD Duo core 2.6ghz
2gig ram
200gig 10,000rpm sata main drive
400gig media drive
XP
800watt power supply
and a steel box meant for SLi cards. has these lovely fans right above them.

anyone have a 8800GTX card? thoughts?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I don't think you need an 800 watt PSU (even if you were running SLI), read this PSU primer. A bigger powersupply is less efficient if you are running far under the recommended rating.

nVidia notes for the 8800 GTX:

A 475W PCI Express-compliant system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 32A or more *Minimum system power requirement based on a standard PC configured with an Intel® Core™2 Extreme X6800 processor 30A
Are you buying one or two - almost all nVidia cards can run SLI these days?

I would say if you have SLI you could get away with a honestly rated 600W PSU, 700W to be safe (if buying lower-end). I recommend Seasonic PSU (or any of the brands that use them for an OEM like Corsair).

Inquirer did their overclocked 8800 GTX SLI system with a 500 watt PSU.

Yes, apparently nVidia even claims ~145W as maximum power consumption which would actually fit quite well in line with results of many reviews. (and sounds quite right compared to absolute maximum TDP value)
Here's results with different brand 8800GTXs:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2873&p=7
(again wall consumptions, and Sparkle uses peltier cooler which causes lightly bigger consumption)
So TDP values are slightly safety values... and there's safety margin even after those values.

Recommendations/"requirements" of graphic card makers are made overshooting because there's (way too much) PSUs on market which have way too high PR ratings compared to what they can output, even BFG which sells graphic cards sells such substandard PSUs, like this ordinary sub-400W PSU sold with 650W BS rating:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=21

Seasonic again doesn't practise similar PR ratings... here's same tests with 700W M12:
http://jonnyguru.com/review_details....=13&page_num=2
Quality is also good enough for PC P&C, their 750W Silencer uses same Seasonic made design. (with different casing, different cooling and approriately optimized heatsinks)

Joe average vegetable... consumer again doesn't know nothing about these. If requirement would be close to real power requirements he would accuse graphic card maker when PC would become unstable after adding new graphic card to PC whose PSU isn't capable to claimed output power.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
I don't think you need an 800 watt PSU (even if you were running SLI), read
Well i use to have a 450watt one and it killed my last MB. i picked up the 800watt unit becuase it was designed for running dual sli boards. (not a cheapo)
thats what i have now... 2 6800gt leadtek boards.
and still the 8800gtx looks better in all the demos.
don't know anyone out here that has one..
why i asked you guys...

thanks for not answering my original question

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
bah, you're no fun.
I think you are the only one with enough disposable income to spend that much. You are probably the sole owner on RM.

$500-600 for ONE videocard?

The most expensive card I've ever bought was a 7900 GTO and that was a pretty hard sell for me, I think I paid about $200 for it.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
You could always ask on anandtech, there's a lot more geeks there who would rather spend their money on computer junk than bikes or cars, or beer.

RM isn't exactly the place you look for info on computer gaming equipment, it's not really a hobby that goes well with cycling.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
You could always ask on anandtech, there's a lot more geeks there who would rather spend their money on computer junk than bikes or cars, or beer.

RM isn't exactly the place you look for info on computer gaming equipment, it's not really a hobby that goes well with cycling.
not true, i crash, hurt myself bad. i'll need something to occupy my time.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
alas its here. for those who care

yup. everything i could have hope for and more.

its quite large too. had to move one of my harddrives. its about 6mm from hitting the harddrive mount.
requires 2 6pin power plugs. had to unplug my floppy to get it to work. oh well.