Quantcast

Geocaching

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Recently got back into it, allthough I had to start a new account since its inactivity while I was in hospital. kinda lame since I lost all the previous logs and caches I have started but oh well.

I am off and running again but have found the hobby has gained alot of tech since I have been out of it.

coming to find there is paperless devices from garmin that offer alot more ease.

what devices are you guys running?

these are the devices I have that seem to be either discontinued or outdated beyond use for geocaching for downloads

Garmin foretrex 101
Garmin Rhino 120
Garmin GPS 12
Garmin Etrex legend
Garmin Etrex Vista

I have found my edge 305 works but only holds 100 caches and will work when I am on the bike but I think I need to update.

reccomendations?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i have a delorme pn30 that i haven't messed with yet.....

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Yeah, I just used my old smartphone with gps...

We started a geocache with our nephews a while ago. We should go and check it out sometime. It's crazy how international it is! There are a few around where I live!

Yelo

Monkey
Aug 3, 2008
Quebec city, Quebec, Canada
I still got an old Etrex Legend (the blue one) that we use for geocaching, I'd like to get a colorado one to be able to go paperless but so far I still don't have one....

I believe the Oregon one is even better than the colorado but I could be wrong...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I use my Droid Eris phone. Did my first one last night, I didn't find it but I did get 3 ticks. Awesome!!!!

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
My family has placed many caches in the tahoe area. My favorite is on Kiva Beach. I use a Garmen Legendc (free). I hit about three a week.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Garmin 60CSx...great little tool. That was the GPS unit that my dept.'s map and compass class/Fireline EMT was taught with. Plus it seems to be the unit that a lot of Management Teams rely on when plotting a burn area etc. Plus you can get a lot of cool mapping programs for it too.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Went out for the first real time today. My friend (ex's hotter sister :brows:) came up to visit and we spent all afternoon finding 6 caches around campus. One of them was under a bridge that I've walked over almost every day for the past 2 years. I thought that was pretty cool. We used a combination of my iPhone 4 and her Droid 2. Has anyone tried the geocaching.com iPhone app? I have the free one and it was very cool but also very limited. Is it worth the $10?