Quantcast

Geometry Questions

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
The "old" demos are not very progressive at all. Not in comparison to most newer DH bikes. In the 10% rage IIRC from sag to bottom out. DHX never performed well on mine, even with bottom out cranked. Without significant progressivity in the linkage, you are going to have to choose between good midstroke suppleness and bottom out control.

Sucks, but it is what it is.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
I'm 6'3". I had my bike built to these specifications:

HA: 64* (but with my current fork set up its actually 63.5*)
CS: 16.75" (Static, with rearward axle path)
BB: 14"
WB: 47"
that does indeed sound pretty ****in mint. you say built to your specs, what is it?

Do you realize that nobody but sponsered riders are actually on those demos?
there are more people on them than you think...and very shortly they will be in stores and taking over the world. remember, 2011 models are being officially launched this month and in stores just in time for christmas. the bike that won worlds is the exact same frame you will get over the counter, no prescription necessary.

brian field

Monkey
Feb 5, 2007
The "old" demos are not very progressive at all. Not in comparison to most newer DH bikes. In the 10% rage IIRC from sag to bottom out. DHX never performed well on mine, even with bottom out cranked. Without significant progressivity in the linkage, you are going to have to choose between good midstroke suppleness and bottom out control.

Sucks, but it is what it is.
on what generation demo, are you referring to, is this fixed for 2011, or ?
I didn't know that there are ''problems'' with demos,i might think twice before getting 2011 demo...

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Why? There are a heap of demos going very fast under a lot of different riders all over the world, in my little local club there are at least 10, and one has the rainbow stripes! There are demos going quick for people who are short, tall, clipped in, on flats, etc. Just because a few people dont like them doesn't mean you wont, its the same as any bike. Get a ride if you can, be careful of sizing - demos run large, and spend the time to set it up for you. They are probably one of the best built, most reliable, and damn good looking DH bikes available.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
That progressivity figure is for the '07 - '10 demo 7's and 8's. Despite the travel differences and lower bottom brackets on the '10's they all have nearly identical shock rates. They fixed a lot of things with the 2011's, so it should be a much better bike.

You can still go plenty fast on them, obviously. Biggest difference I found is that it takes a lot longer to figure out how to ride it as fast as many other bikes, which feel more "natural" to ride fast.