Quantcast

Georgia freeride chapter of Sorba

lucas

Chimp
Apr 30, 2004
We are in the process of starting a freeride chapter of Sorba that will promote agressive trail riding and technical trails for both freeride and DH in Georgia.
Yes this has been talked about before, but now were closer than ever. Log in to the forum at rockbottomfreeride.com if you'd like to be a part of it, the more people invloved the better the results.
The site and forum is down until Sunday the 29th.
Any question you can email lucas@rockbottomfreeride.com

Jamsoul

Chimp
Jun 28, 2004
tha boot
GEORGIA FOR SURE NEEDS SO,E MORE FREERIDING OPPORTUNITIES....CAME HERE FROM CALIFORNIA...THIS PLACE IS FLAT AS A TABLE...GOOD ROAD RIDING IS EVEN HARD TO COME BY.... :dancing: :D

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
Jamsoul said:
GEORGIA FOR SURE NEEDS SO,E MORE FREERIDING OPPORTUNITIES....CAME HERE FROM CALIFORNIA...THIS PLACE IS FLAT AS A TABLE...GOOD ROAD RIDING IS EVEN HARD TO COME BY.... :dancing: :D
Gotta look hard dude! I'm moving there from California and I should be on the GA soil by the 16/17th of September. :dancing: :D

Cool idea... keep me in the loop as to what is brewing with the FR/DH site.

Later,
-Eric (CAbiker)

email: cali4niabiker@hotmail.com

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
You'd be suprised at some of the places in North Georgia.
"Jamsoul"
It's not huge like out west but it's not as flat as your 8 year old sister.
Check Lucas's site when it's up again, it's a good place to find all these spots.
Since we ain't be reprazentin in da ATL yet, most of the stunts and jumps are not well known.

lucas

Chimp
Apr 30, 2004
The forum is back up and the rest of the site is almost finished - sorry for the delay.
I have to agree with Dvnt, although we may not have as many steeps as the left coast, we do have a good bit. You just have to look a little harder.
Peace

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Okay, Freeride Chapter of SORBA.

What we are going to propose to SORBA is that the Freeride Chapter consist of local area reps. that deal with already existing chapters. Of those reps. we will have to pick club officers to meet the requirements of the Sorba by-laws.
If you'd like to volunteer for your area please check out the forum on RockBottomFreeride.com (also post any concerns or comments there as well)

I'm meeting with Rambo next Wednesday to get this started. We need to have everything ready to propose to Sorba by Nov.

Thanks

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Sorba has Chapters in SC and TN, not sure about NC though.

Hopefully we will eventually bring in more DH, MTX, DS races into the South East.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Last Chance to Save Mansell DS.....

Big Creek Trail Development Meeting NOTES
- Tues, Aug 31st

Open House for Big Creek Park Wetlands Enhancement was held as scheduled and MTBr's showed up in force. A slide show presented by GeoSyntec project leader Ganesh Gopalakrishnan was followed by an intense Q&A. Questions about MTB trails were deferred to Roswell P&R, who, in turn, deferred them to our man Bob Grieco. It became clear that the City's development of the wetlands will replace much of the existing beginning and intermediate trail system with its concrete and boardwalk trails. This part of the park plan appears to be 'cast in concrete'. Fate of MTB trails will be considered only AFTER the wetlands project completion next Spring. Answers to questions about park access when heavy-duty earthmoving work starts this October were non-committal. It appears that while Roswell P&R and RAMBO have been commiserating, the wetlands project has been moving forward - oblivious to MTB usage. Look for more answers at our next meeting 8 September

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
One more comment and I'll stop the politico bs.
We need support, there is a strong possibility for another spot to open up north of mansell, but we have to work with Rambo (Sorba chapter) on this.
If you are interested in becoming a charter member of the freeride chapter just PM or e-mail me or Lucas with your details. Or you can go to the rockbottomfreeride forum.

DVNT said:
Okay, Freeride Chapter of SORBA.

What we are going to propose to SORBA is that the Freeride Chapter consist of local area reps. that deal with already existing chapters. Of those reps. we will have to pick club officers to meet the requirements of the Sorba by-laws.
If you'd like to volunteer for your area please check out the forum on RockBottomFreeride.com (also post any concerns or comments there as well)

I'm meeting with Rambo next Wednesday to get this started. We need to have everything ready to propose to Sorba by Nov.

Thanks

I am a memeber of SORBA woodstock and I keep getting asked " So how's the frreride chapter coming along?". We can start build at blankets in the spring maybe. Everything needs to be approved and follow IMBA trailbuilding guidelines, blah, blah, blah. There is potential out there on the North side of the creek. That's why I always call it North Shore Woodstock. This section is not open yet so please don't go back there.

We have to wait for our environmental study to go through before we can do anything over there. City of Woodstock also wants us to builkd trails for them down by the old Rope Mill area.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
jet said:
I am a memeber of SORBA woodstock and I keep getting asked " So how's the frreride chapter coming along?". We can start build at blankets in the spring maybe. Everything needs to be approved and follow IMBA trailbuilding guidelines, blah, blah, blah. There is potential out there on the North side of the creek. That's why I always call it North Shore Woodstock. This section is not open yet so please don't go back there.

We have to wait for our environmental study to go through before we can do anything over there. City of Woodstock also wants us to builkd trails for them down by the old Rope Mill area.

We are planning on approaching the powers that be in November, when Sorba has it's next big meeting. We need to make sure we have a min. ten Sorba members. If you are into it, you'll find more info on the RBF sight.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
jet said:
Let's try to plan some sort of meeting soon...

just whoever is interested in getting the club going.

Somplace with food and beers. And girls.

That's a good idea, i posted something like that on RBF.

Let's do it after next week that way i'll have the Mansell meeting behind me and hopefully the charter complete.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
ok, here is what the city wants to do with mansell. I got this from the cities website and add some mods.

nhfreeride1

Chimp
Mar 20, 2004
I am thinking about moving down south again...and I wanted to see if there are any killer freeride trails.

Are there built-up stunts? Natural drops?

Any suggested areas to check-out. I will be down in November checking out Chapel Hill and want to do a ride or two to see if I will be happy with the move.

thanks,
Ned

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
nhfreeride1 said:
I am thinking about moving down south again...and I wanted to see if there are any killer freeride trails.

Are there built-up stunts? Natural drops?

Any suggested areas to check-out. I will be down in November checking out Chapel Hill and want to do a ride or two to see if I will be happy with the move.

thanks,
Ned

I'd repost this NED, their are way more places to ride up in NC and I'm sure a few :monkey: 's can tell you where to go. I lived in Boone for 7 years but I'm sure there is somebody closer to the Hill on here.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
The meeting with Rambo about Mansell went really well.
Also got to meet with a few of you on starting the "official" Sorba Chapter and I can't really describe how cool this is gonna turn out.

In a few months we will be starting construction on a DH area in Forsyth.
If you are concerned with how it's gonna turn out and want to prevent it from turning into an Techie XC trail then here is your chance to get involved.

*** We set a tentative date for an initial freeride chapter (meeting/grab a beer) in October ***
stay tuned for details....

E-mail me your details for the petition to take to the Sorba meeting in Nov.
to start the FR Chapter.

We need your name, phone # or e-mail, and sorba #.
If you competed at the Conyers event then you are already a sorba member. If you don't know your number, don't worry about it, just put yes we'll sort it out.

e-mail: DVNTONE AT HOT MAIL DOT COM

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
Sweet! Good to hear that the meeting went well.... hopefully that will keep the developers at bay.

BTW, I'm on my way to Georgia from Orange County, CA bright & early tomorrow morning (9/10). I am still packing my clothes, junk, and the bikes :love: in the car and will be driving across the country with stops @ Grand Canyon, Santa Fe, somewhere in west Texas :confused:, Austin, New Orleans, and onto Atlanta. :D

I should be in Atlanta sometime around the 17th of September, assuming that the drive across takes 6 - 7 days total. I'll be up for some riding sometime but will be without wheels for some time until I find one in the area... pop me an email.

Hope all is going well with the Mansell DJ/DH park... keep me posted on what's cooking up there.

-Eric

cali4niabiker@hotmail.com

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
jet said:
I have trouble with RBF.

sometimes I can get on, sometimes not. Is it still under construction?

Also, let's try to get a central kind of a location. Hell we could ride Mansell and then go to some restaurant.

We were thinking Oct.. But I'm gonna try to move it up to September with the rate at which this is moving, I want to keep it going.

Also Oct. 16th will be the first CP work party!

County Approved BABY! WOohooOo

SpeedyObnox

Monkey
Aug 7, 2004
the mansell trails... if ur going north on 400 youll go right off the exit, take a left at old alabama road, and the gravel parking lot will be on ur left. back in the woods there bout a mile is all the stuff. definitely go with somebody, lots are out there on sundays

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Another Shameless Work Party Plug:

Central Park Sat. Nov. 6th 9am for anyone that's not racing 4x :angry:

It's about 25 min. north of Mansell on 400.

Bring your bike as we will be riding afterwards at CP, and a few of us may head to Mansell.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
*Central Park is located off of Exit 17 400n
* Take a left back over the highway and about 1/2 mile at the bottom of the hill you'll see the park entrance
* Pass the Police station in the park and drive to the far back corner of the park past all the frisbee golf non-sense.

We will be starting @ 9 and usually work till 1 or 2, Pizza and drinks provided afterward.
We will be building the first berms and a 4ft tabletop. The rock drops will wait until we can schedule delivery of the boulders. Bring a shovel if you got one, we will have McClouds and Fire Rakes on hand and few wheel barrows and a Dingo.

Bring your bike, we will ride afterward and may stop by Mansell on the way back into town.

As for the girls? BYOG.
PM me if you need anymore info.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
DVNT said:
Hmmm... Peachtree City vs. Forsyth girlies... :help:
Not just Peachtree City. This is a STATE championship. They will be here from all over. I would hazard that Albany has the higher quantity and quality milfs.
And Peachtree City is known for all of the hot under-age action running around on golf carts.
And for you women there are some, ahem, damn good looking airline mechanics roaming around, ahem. :eek:

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
OK, you got me on the MILF thing.

PC has the advantage because they start popping 'em out at an earlier age, therefore qualifying for MILF status before gravity sets in.

I wish I could be in two places at once.
Let me know how things go and maybe we can help out getting more races on BMX tracks, at least until we get a real MTNX course.

Good Luck this weekend.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
jet said:
Peete-

Doesn't your wife get pissed about all the milf stuff?

I'm currently torn...

Race or build- race or build????

Have there been any organized meetings for the FR group yet?

I need to send DVNT my info too...
Tom, this race may never happen again. Also you would be so close to Chuck's hell track. It would be a shame to miss riding this place. Leave the Rotec at home and bring the Specialized.
There will be other work days that hopefully won't coincide with BMX crap.

The wife only gets upset when I point out hot 16 yr old girls :oink:

I think I'm gonna go build. I don't do very well on BMX tracks. Prolly cuz I didn't have any near me when I was young. I go too hard too quik. Kind of like with a girl.
put my name down somewhere if there is a list.
I have been drinking this evening, so just pencil me in for the build. I am going to set my alarm.
I am also trying to plan a local (woodstock) mtb movie viewing party. it may be at a local shop or someones house. I want an evening of watching vids, drinking, and ripping on each other. nothing is set in stone yet; but I am trying to put it together.
Also, please don't let this get out to far, as it will prolly be invite only.
My perfect situation for this would be at the trail with a bonfire and a 1/2brl with everybody camping there. The trail is technically private property, so it is feesable. Getting a projection unit and a generator may be a little tough though.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Another work party this Saturday Nov. 13 9am - 12, pizza and ride afterwards.

We are making a lot of progress.
The rest of the Hi run trail tread is cut (up to the gap jump and a little beyond) and the table top was built up a bit more.
We will work on the smoothing the run, finish the set of doubles we started and maybe onto another jump section and build the berm another foot or two if we can.

Thanks

- j

droplover

Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
Colorado
Does anyone have directions to Flat Rock Park in Columbus?
If so, how do you get to the freeride section? I heard if you don't know where you are going, it is very hard to find. Lucas told me Paul Luker has all the info, but I don't know how to get in touch with him. Any help would be appreciated!