Quantcast

German freshness

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Looks kinda nice but 240mm of linear travel? I thought only VPP bikes were still using ****loads of travel for dh while other companies found out that extra travel doesn't mean good.
The 200mm version would be good if it had it's own geo not the same designed for a bike with 40mm more. Lower the BB by 5-11mm as 31mm rise isn't low by any standard. Especialy on a 200mm bike.
All that said I must admit the frame looks nice and the mrp g2 direct mount may be an interesting idea even though it limits the choice.

any info on the price?

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Looks kinda nice but 240mm of linear travel? I thought only VPP bikes were still using ****loads of travel for dh while other companies found out that extra travel doesn't mean good.
The 200mm version would be good if it had it's own geo not the same designed for a bike with 40mm more. Lower the BB by 5-11mm as 31mm rise isn't low by any standard. Especialy on a 200mm bike.
All that said I must admit the frame looks nice and the mrp g2 direct mount may be an interesting idea even though it limits the choice.

any info on the price?
there's a 200mm version too...

-> http://www.propain-bikes.com/bikepark

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
+31 mm = wheelaxle (26"/2) + 31 mm = 361 mm = 14,2 " (without tyres)
Uhh you are Faaaaaaaaar from the truth. 16mm gives real bb height of 14.1''. This is 15mm more so 0.6'' more. 14.7'' is not good.

Setimus it's nice that there is a 200mm version but wouldn't it be nice for it to have it's own geo? 14.7 on a 240mm bike is quite ok but simply not "LOW! LOW! LOW!" and on a 200mm bike it will probably feel crazy high.

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
what is more important, a absolute low bb or a certain stack height (vertical distance between bb and top of head tube)

If a slightly higher bb in combination with a certain handlebar height would give you a better position on the bike then that would be preferable over a lower bb, or not?

What would be the benifit of a low bb? lower CoG?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
what is more important, a absolute low bb or a certain stack height (vertical distance between bb and top of head tube)

If a slightly higher bb in combination with a certain handlebar height would give you a better position on the bike then that would be preferable over a lower bb, or not?

What would be the benifit of a low bb? lower CoG?
It probably depends on the differance between lower handlebar vs higher bb. Also not everybody apparently rides front heavy (though most).
Lower BB lowers the Cog of course.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
14.7 is about the same as a V10, and while not low low low, it's certainly World Cup caliber. And considering they use the same type of suspension and lotsa sag, I'm surprised folks are complaining...

My question is how are they getting around the VPP patent?

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
If it's a german manufacturer, they don't have to worry about an american patent. Similat to how KTM makes mountain bikes to sell in europe only because they'd infringe on a Specialized patent if sold in the states.

At least, that's my understanding of it.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Website says: "We are looking for distributors all over the world. Please contact us for more information."

and

"All our bikes are developed in house in Germany and are tested all over the world."

Doesn't sound like they're excluding the American market to me, but who knows...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
14.7 is about the same as a V10, and while not low low low, it's certainly World Cup caliber. And considering they use the same type of suspension and lotsa sag, I'm surprised folks are complaining...

My question is how are they getting around the VPP patent?
I'm rather shocked with the 200mm version and that geo. The beast with only 10mm less travel has the cog quite low but it probably runs on smaller % of sag. It may not be extremely high. Just not that great. The thing that interests me is that if the thing by any chance sags close to the v10 it means that it's crazy slack at 2deg slacker HA. But I shouldn't complain. Maybe it rides okay. Simply I ride on a bike that is at 29-31mm(adjustable) and 10mm less travell and the Cog doesn't feel that low.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
They're driving the shock off of the link, the vpp patent does not do that.
Ahhh, you're right. I would have thought that SC would have patented all shock configurations, but according to the patent (http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6488301/claims.html) it only covers designs where the shock is compressed between the lower link and front frame.

I would think having the shock between the links would allow even more control of the shock rate, so well done Propain...

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
That would say that the vast majority of both Intense and Santa Cruz bikes are outside of the VPP patent......

most shorter travel bikes from intense and SC actually drive the shock off the upper link (driver8, V10 and M6 being the only bikes that adhere to that patent).

My guess is that there are further patents involved with the current VPP.