Quantcast

GES Highland Oct 15-16 Points for 2012 Series

Keith

Chimp
Sep 28, 2010
I've just read on the GES site, that next weekends race will count towards NEXT YEARS POINTS!!!!
A bit bummed, as I know it is a re-schedule due to the Irene disaster which I have no issue with, but I've planned my vacation for this year and Oct 15-16 just isnt possible at this late stage.
I feel like I'm going into next year with a dis-advantage against those guys who dont have to worry about planning vacation etc...
Any thoughts?

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
yeah I feel the same way. I was really looking forward to racing it but when it was rescheduled I fell into a similar situation. No big deal but I was looking forward to doing the whole series next season and now I feel like I am at a disadvantage as well.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
it doesn't matter how many points I get, I will not win my class....but if I was good enough to do so I would also be bummed out by this news.

I planned on racing the Gravity East series next year as my first true season of racing.

DHDreams

Chimp
May 11, 2008
I disagree with the decision for this. It makes absolutely no sense at all. And, of the people I talked to at Beech Nationals, the feeling is mutual. Why would you do that? I do have a chance at winning, but not with more of these crazy changes. What about people who will move to a new age bracket or new class next year? Would points carryover? I know of some that plan to move up to Pro. So, they would run Cat 1 for this race, then Pro next season.?.?

Leave this 2011 race out of 2012's series.

Tedman

Monkey
Oct 27, 2009
Lebanon, PA
While I disagree with this plan due to the above mentioned reasons, its not proper to make this double points. For those who shut their season down in accordance with the 2011 schedule have a valid concern.
I will be there, because I really want to ride Highland. Its more an end of season blow out for me with no stress about where I place.
I won Cat1 40+ this season but know some fast guys are moving in next season. So next year will be much tougher for me to do well so I don't care much about the points. But I haven't given up yet!! :thumb:
As for people who change classes, its stated in the media release that these individuals will not lose any points, which I disagree with also. Someone could sandbag the class for double points and go into 2012 ahead of the game. Especially over those who do not attend.
Nonetheless, the GES is a great series to race and run very well by Dan McDonald.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Aren't calendar years the delimiter for determining age groups and (generally) category upgrades? How will this work for those switching classes or age groups next year?

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A
I've just read on the GES site, that next weekends race will count towards NEXT YEARS POINTS!!!!
A bit bummed, as I know it is a re-schedule due to the Irene disaster which I have no issue with, but I've planned my vacation for this year and Oct 15-16 just isnt possible at this late stage.
I feel like I'm going into next year with a dis-advantage against those guys who dont have to worry about planning vacation etc...
Any thoughts?
That's a hard one to swallow. How can a racer be in 2 places at once? HMMMMMMMMM freecasters series
might pay attention to whats happening here on the little East Coast?

I see it as a way to hook riders into racing the GES finals and gain a few more riders. From a marketing
standpoint it makes great sense. From the riders standpoint it is Weird.

Anyway good luck to all involved and hope we do not destroy East Coast Downhill racing with too many
series / Promoters like the cross-country has. History always repeats itself and Downhill racing on the
East Coast need to unite. LOL

Last edited:

Gravity East

Monkey
Apr 22, 2011
You need to go to the Gravity East Website www.gravityeastseries.com and read the information so you have correct info on this event.

No one gets Dbl points this is a standard single race points with a two race drop every year anyhow this will have little effect for those who get points they will transfer with your upgrade, sandbagging this event will not be factor.

Vadapromo mentioned the board felt that had to be some incentive from a promotional and marketing position.

Last edited:

Tedman

Monkey
Oct 27, 2009
Lebanon, PA
Sorry Dan for my misinformed post....originally its was stated to be a double points but I see that has been changed.
While I still disagree on the points applied to 2012, I'll still be there to support GES Friday!! :weee:

May 31, 2007
Manchester, NH
Sorry Dan for my misinformed post....originally its was stated to be a double points but I see that has been changed.
While I still disagree on the points applied to 2012, I'll still be there to support GES Friday!! :weee:
It was not me who posted Ted however always appreciate all the riders who support the GES, 2012 season is 6 months away, and many things happen over the winter, and we do not feel nor understand why the points are such an issue USAC has done it and many other series have done this when a race has to be postponed so late in the season. (Highland and the GES could only find this weekend in the Highland schedule)

It was not my decision alone and do not understand all the issues, we only score to a certain point and with a two race drop this is not really going to effect a particular racer. I must say though it is threads like this which make me sometimes question why I have run races for over 20 years.......

It saddens me, we are just doing what is best for the event and the series in everything we do and all the work we do.....ask the guys at the ESC or the ProGRT or any other series, it is for the riders, and it is our passion which drives us all.

But issues over the smallest thing I just don't understand. This is a change from a decade ago when we all got medals, no prizing, no pro purse. Today is different and we have changed with it.

Last edited:

gravitywatch

Chimp
Mar 23, 2011
Dan ... Your post comes from the heart ... but do not be saddened by this. For every one person that disagrees there is one person that does agree.

It is very apparent that the GES has made a name for itself in the gravity world. Keep the passion! There are so many riders who appreciate all your efforts ....

Looking forward to Highland ... Perfect Venue ... Great friends ... Amazing Riding and Racing !

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
It was not me who posted Ted however always appreciate all the riders who support the GES, 2012 season is 6 months away, and many things happen over the winter, and we do not feel nor understand why the points are such an issue USAC has done it and many other series have done this when a race has to be postponed so late in the season. (Highland and the GES could only find this weekend in the Highland schedule)
I don't get the impression that anyone is genuinely upset, but it's probably the first time many have seen something like this happen.

Thanks for putting these events on.