Quantcast

getting 06 Kona Stinky

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
yeah, don't listen to the brand name whores who will tell you it's crap because it's not $5K. It's a great bike:D

slopoke

Chimp
Jun 17, 2009
Tx
get it! rockin 07 stinky here and love it. new wheels and shifter coming in less than a week... : )

greenhood

Turbo Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
SEATTLE-MINNEAPOLIS
I guess I need to post here...

I prefer the older geometry for a freeride bike, but I'm old too.

Miss it:

Yes, you are old stinky. You are old enough to know these lyrics. They might even be the soundtrack to your life.

All I wanna do is drink beer for breakfast
All I wanna eat is them BBQ chips
All I want is someone just to try to protect us
You can try but you'd never wanna try to defend us

Hey, well I'm broke
But I'm gonna pay for some rum

All I wanna do is stand in this lie
All I wanna pick is your nose honey, hi
Sweet little corner, know you gotta be... aha!
I'm dreaming of a white Christmas

Honey, well I'm broke
But I'm gonna pay from some rum

Honey, where I'm from
Halle-****in-lujah
Where I'm from...

Baby boy's fine...
Baby boy's drunk...
Baby boy's a ... bah bah bah

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I used to have a Stab Garbanzo which I'm told was just a re-badged Stinky with a dual crown setup. I liked it a lot, but it was showing signs of age and I wanted "that new bike smell" and got a Blindside.

You'll love it I'm sure. I guess if I had one thing to mention, it would be to check your pivots. Mine were pretty sloppy by the time I sold it. Maybe have 'em switched out to get that new bike feeling.

Enjoy.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Yes, you are old stinky. You are old enough to know these lyrics. They might even be the soundtrack to your life.

All I wanna eat is them BBQ chips
All I want is someone just to try to protect us
You can try but you'd never wanna try to defend us

Hey, well I'm broke
But I'm gonna pay for some rum

All I wanna do is stand in this lie
All I wanna pick is your nose honey, hi
Sweet little corner, know you gotta be... aha!
I'm dreaming of a white Christmas

Honey, well I'm broke
But I'm gonna pay from some rum

Honey, where I'm from
Halle-****in-lujah
Where I'm from...

Baby boy's fine...
Baby boy's drunk...
Baby boy's a ... bah bah bah

You are correct sir! I used to blast the first few lines every now and then at work whenever I was was bored and/or pissed at the mindless prattle going on or had just come out of a crappy meeting.

:thumb:

well I just got finished installing my new fork :)
can't wait to try it....
Talk to Kona and get the upgraded rockers before you do anything serious.

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
What spring rate are you guys running on the shock? I'm about 212lbs and mine has a 600 on it

Took it to the chair lift access nountain yesterday. What a fun bike!

Last edited:

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Here's my Stinky stable...

The only thing I can think of about the 06 Stinky is that if you look at my rocker plates, you will see they milled holes all the way through.
I guess this made them a little flexy in the back so for 07 Kona stopped milling them all the way through.
They also offered the 07 plates to 06 original owners for free through your dealer..
If your bike doesn't have them and the guy your buying it from is the original owner, maybe he can get your the upgraded plates?
Mine have not been upgraded and no problems yet, but to be honest I haven't owned it long enough to tell if it will be an issue..
Good luck with the new bike.....
I am pretty sure I took some runs with you at diablo earlier this year. Did you have a few new guys riding dh and a giant reign in the group?

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
I took mine to Diablo Saturday and it was great. I really had fun on the Stinky. Great bike.

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
My d.o.p.e. system is NOISY. it rattles around like there's marbles in a can back there. Is that normal? if not what is the fix? looks like the bracket that the caliper bolts to rattles against the drop out.