Quantcast

Getting a new dirt jumper...

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Ok, well, I went from the 2006 version of this.

http://www.diamondback.com/items.asp?deptid=14&itemid=258

It was a good bike, easy to manual, but kind of hard to try cans, but really nice to jump, and I kind of wanted a better fork now than the Marzo DJ Comp I have now. Things are breaking on it. The rukiton cranks, the drivetrain, (I made it single speed, was to cheap to buy a hub, so I put spacers in it and now it pops), maybe a new back brake, etc, don't make me go on.

So I was looking at the eastern night train, but I'm trying to keep it under 1,000$, because I'm buying a new DH possibly, and I'm 17, and I work a lot, haha.

Before I blow 1,000$, can anyone give me some idea on what they think of theirs?

Thanks for the help.

HBFR33R!D3

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
huntington beach
if you want a really good dj bike, get a black market mob or riot and build it up yourself with, i think the riot frame is like $350, or you could get the black market 357 which is a complete build using the riot frame which i believe is $1000, also the p.series bikes are nice to, i think the p.2 is in your price range

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I like the 357, hmm...

I was looking for something a little more "skate parkish", but I guess I want it all. I wanted it for the jump lines at diablo freeride park too, but that's not all that big of a deal, and I wanted to race dual slalom at the us open.

The p bike seems good for all this, multiple speeds, and a 100mm fork instead of a 80mm, but it looks like it wouldn't be as good for park or street.

I think if I built up a frame, it would cost more than a full bike, if I got the same setup.

Anymore advice would help. I know you all have your own thoughts, so throw them out there! Thanks!

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
you will save money in the long run if u do it right the first time. u know its true. before u get any bike that is stock because its cheap. think about what will break and factor that into the cost. i would reccomend a riot and i have had some saddle time on one and it was sweet.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Well there are 2 things you can do IMO.

One is to not get a p series if you want to ride indoor park. It sucks. The geometry is terrible.

Second is to definately look at the .357 or build a Riot up. Either way you will have a killer bike.

If you get the .357 you have a complete bike for $1000. If you custom build it, you will spend more unless you have some parts you can use now (like a wheelset, fork, ect.)

My feeling is to build a custom bike the way you want it. You end up spending more initially, but probably end up spending the same when you have to replace parts.

The Riot is the same frame as the .357. It rules in the indoor park and is awesome at dirtjumps. I have been riding indoor park 2x a week all winter. I am in love with the bike, the feel, the handling, the weight, the geometry and overall the asthetic beauty of it.

Currently weighs 28.5lbs with the K-rads. With the Schwalbe table top tires I get to 27.75lbs. Not bad at all for a 26" steel frame with a suspension fork.

Here is the bike and build today. I have a white Macneil SL seat and Ceneca pivotal coming:

08' Riot - 21.5" tt, horizontal drops
RockShox Argyle 318 - lowered to 80mm
Woodman Bill SS rear hub, 36h, laced to black EX721, DT spokes
Woodman Bill LTi front, 36h, laced to black EX721, silver DT spokes
Shadow Conspiracy Torrid cranks, 175mm
Profile euro bb cups
Tree splined 24t chainring/12t cog
'We the people' integratedheadset
Thomson stem, 50mm
Deity bar
Wellgo Magnesium pedals
Thomson post
Surely clamp
BB7/Speed Dial 7 brakes
K-Rad tires
KMC 710sl chain
ODI lock-on BMX grips
Fly seat

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
How do you not think the 357 is "Skateparkish"?
Never said it wasn't... I was stating that about the p. bikes.

Anyways... alright, we'll see what I can do. I'm on a pretty strict budget as it is.

Any more ideas? Let it be known.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
About the jamis... I want verticle drop outs, and I want to move to a little bit better of a fork.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=12670
^^^^
That is what I have now.

Ok, I know I can't get it all, but I'm looking for something I can use a park, and dirt, and street. I know I can't get the best of both worlds, but I want to make a compromise. I'm not that great at park, so I know I focus a little more on street and dj.

I still want to buy a complete, and that 07 eastern is looking pretty nice, but for 200 more $ it looks like I can get a better 08 setup. I am also leaning towards eastern because I'm 100 percent the small local shop guy can get it in.

To start off here, let me throw out a question if you have experience, does a 100mm fork and a 80mm make a huge difference in forgiveness and geometry?

Here's what there is so far, magnum 357, and the eastern night train.

Thanks for you input so far, keep it coming.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Yea, sorry, i meant horizantal, lol, i feel like a tool.

Anyways, yes, I'll pm you about that mob.

Ok, and, I see the argyle ont he eastern, and the marzo dj fork on the 357, does 1 inch make a big difference? If yes, could you give me some insight (I have 100mm's)

pHeller

Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Buy a new frame and use the fork you've got until it blows up.

The DirtJam sucks, I find its way better to buy something, find out you want better and upgrade, rather than blow tons of money on something your not even sure you want to commit to.

Buying new bicycles is almost as bad as buying a new computer or automobile, the depreciate very quickly.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
If I got the bike with an argyle, I probably won't regret it. I'm light (130 lbs), so my fork won't blow up probably. It just tops out so harshly, gets stiff in really cold weather, and it's preload settings are terrible. (The only setting accessible by hand).

This is why I'm trying to make a good decision on a bike the first time around this time. But I know the majority of these bikes come with parts that will hold up, compared to my diamondback. A big concern is the frame geo and the size.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Ok, so I have the blk market 357 vs the eastern night train. Give me your opinions... I'm beggining to ponder building up a bike frame up (Danget, I'm getting sucked in), but tell me which one you would get in why. Thanks guys.