Quantcast

Getting a push on course. Is it cheating? Depends on who you talk to

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I thought XC racing was dumb to begin with. That's just silly.

Not even sure how it's contestable that it's illegal? Can't really fault the racers though.

That dude struck me as pretty weird though. It looks to me like a clever way to play grabass.

Parallel question: A DH racer crashes on course on a steep slippery slope and slides downhill further than their bike - what is the ruling about a spectator assisting them in retrieving the bike? How about assisting in helping the rider back up onto the course? I suppose it's sort of a non-issue since that particular racer probably wont be in first place anyway, but I'm just curious.

Ironjunk

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
The pushers favored racers. Spectators helping people don't really favor people. They would do it to anyone.

I would feel lucky if i didn't get dq'ed getting pushed.

I think it's cheating in every way, but you can't blame the guy because nobody did anything about him, and the racer who didn't really ask to be pushed.

I'd blame the race marshalls for not saying anything to the guy.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
It's assumed they don't, because not every single racer is crashing. But through a section where a lot of people crash, they could help one racer but not the next. Personal reasons, team favoring, whatever.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Pushing does help, but the rider cant really control when/if it happens.

I dont mind a spectator catching a rider/downhill bike, akin to someone grabbing your water bottle if it falls out of your cage. It would really suck down the line if you didnt notice it fell out.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I know you aficionados of road racing are going to chime in here, but it is totally taboo to push any leading rider during a mountain stage. However, the sprinters and other toasted riders will receive "assistance" from the crowd, as their goal is to finish within the time limit.

In a XC race, you shouldn't be pushing anyone. The guy who thought he was was Johan Bruyneel should be banned.

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
I don't race, so whatever....

But I do think getting a push in a race is way wrong, though I can't imagine it really helps much. Looked to me like the guy was just getting his jollies touching the girls butts...he's probably on parole for some sexual misconduct in the past. :thumbsdown: Race officials should have thrown him out of the event after the first instance. Thought it was pretty interesting the different perspectives the racers had on the situation though.

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA
If every racer got an equal push to the top it would be fine, but some getting favored and others ignored is an unfair advantage. Its a compettive sport, some riders having an advantage over others ruins the competitive nature. Would it be cool if someone was pushing a few DH riders out of the gate at a world cup and ignoring others?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Someone should have yelled at that guy, I would have if I was standing up there. The racers should have yelled at him as well to stop "assisting". They'll DQ you for taking a feed outside of the feedzone, so things like this are a big deal.

dirtvictim

Chimp
Aug 22, 2009
Like most out there I've done every kind of riding that someone has made up a name for. IMO you can't beat the direct side by side competition of XC it allows you to test the majority of skills you develop from all your riding experience. I think no matter what only racers should be on a course and the only time any assist should take place is when you need help finding a body part you just lost.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Just read it and watched the video, I'm surprised no one beat that tool's ass nor reamed him out.

He reminds me of the guy on Jon and Kate plus 8, definitely looks like he's "special".

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
definitely looks like he's "special".
Says the guys that watches Jon and Kate Plus 8.

The whole situation looks like some bull**** to me. If I had paid money to be in that race and (barely) lost to someone who had been pushed on the uphill, you would have taken me out of there in handcuffs. If it wasn't an assist, then he should have kept his hands to himself to avoid all doubt.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Looks like employee from Yeti There site.

I would think less of this at something like the leadville 100 but a Short track race, it was outside help no matter how you look at it.

Being he is in a Yeti hat and helped just Yeti riders, it is bad, even worse when Yeti appears to be a sponsor of that series.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
After doing a couple XC races, I have a whole new level of respect for the hardcore XC crowd.
Really? I had less. Big disappointment in the courses. Gonna do the Landmine in a couple weeks just for ****s and giggles and because I like the group the proceeds are going to.

splat

Nam I am
I know you aficionados of road racing are going to chime in here, but it is totally taboo to push any leading rider during a mountain stage. However, the sprinters and other toasted riders will receive "assistance" from the crowd, as their goal is to finish within the time limit.

In a XC race, you shouldn't be pushing anyone. The guy who thought he was was Johan Bruyneel should be banned.
:stupid: if it was teh riders at the back who are struggling is one thing , but to be helping the leaders is totally wrong , and it is the marshals responsibility to get him off of the course.

Like most out there I've done every kind of riding that someone has made up a name for. IMO you can't beat the direct side by side competition of XC it allows you to test the majority of skills you develop from all your riding experience. I think no matter what only racers should be on a course and the only time any assist should take place is when you need help finding a body part you just lost.
usually when it is a lost body part it is 911 time !

I think some assistance for Mechanical problems is OK.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Just read it and watched the video, I'm surprised no one beat that tool's ass nor reamed him out.

He reminds me of the guy on Jon and Kate plus 8, definitely looks like he's "special".
Wow, that video was like the OJ chase scene minus the white bronco. I appreciate the comments especially this seemingly homo-erotic comment as seen above. Honestly, there's some real underling issues with the succession of asses and/"nor" reaming. Next time you see this "tool" be sure to introduce yourself which, with a last name of Ramsbottom might get you a dream date.

I want Mr. Lawerence, complete with that sweet dick duster, to have that same camera rolling for next time. :thumb:

XOXO,
Brother of the Pusher!

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Wow, that video was like the OJ chase scene minus the white bronco. I appreciate the comments especially this seemingly homo-erotic comment as seen above. Honestly, there's some real underling issues with the succession of asses and/"nor" reaming. Next time you see this "tool" be sure to introduce yourself which, with a last name of Ramsbottom might get you a dream date.

I want Mr. Lawerence, complete with that sweet dick duster, to have that same camera rolling for next time. :thumb:

XOXO,
Brother of the Pusher!
That's some funny SH1T Ramsbottom 2. Talking with your bro right now and I am still trying to figure out why so many people are up in arms.

If any of the officials don't step in or don't DQ a rider then he isn't doing anything wrong in the realm of the UCI rule book.

Should he have been on the course with riders coming by, no, but it is what it is and the only people that were complaining were so far out of the lead to begin with that their manager, friend, etc could have taken their bike and done 2 laps for them and still wouldn't have gotten anywhere near close enough to complain.

Plus how can you all get so upset when it is short track XC??? It's about as much fun to watch as grass grow.

At that I will quiet up before my RM haters come at me since I ride a Yeti bike and they start crying.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
That's some funny SH1T Ramsbottom 2. Talking with your bro right now and I am still trying to figure out why so many people are up in arms.
I find its the folks who don't know what they are talking about have the most to say. :rolleyes:

Here's an e-highfive to you Rufus! Bigtime!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Here it is....ANY OUTSIDE ASSISTANCE IS GROUNDS FOR A DQ... wether or not you wanted it, its a DQ. Yes, the marshalls should have removed the guy...PERIOD...Helping with mechanicals is also grounds for DQ... nWhen racing the rider is on their own. They have to decided what to take with them, tubes, Co2's, a pump, patch kit, whatever, YOu cant have a spectator hand you tools, a tube, help you with repairs anything like that.

So yeah in a responce to the original question...Its cheating, even though its not wanted, its still an unfair advantage no matter how you look at it.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Here it is....ANY OUTSIDE ASSISTANCE IS GROUNDS FOR A DQ... wether or not you wanted it, its a DQ. Yes, the marshalls should have removed the guy...PERIOD...Helping with mechanicals is also grounds for DQ... nWhen racing the rider is on their own. They have to decided what to take with them, tubes, Co2's, a pump, patch kit, whatever, YOu cant have a spectator hand you tools, a tube, help you with repairs anything like that.

So yeah in a responce to the original question...Its cheating, even though its not wanted, its still an unfair advantage no matter how you look at it.
Where is it in the rule book?

The thing that annoys me the most about this is that chucky has posted it on every single forum mainly to bring traffic to his site, that is it. If he was so against it the why didn't he, or whoever was on the camera, put it down and tell him to stop.

If you want to hide behind the internet and let it all play out but not have the balls to step up yourself and squash it right then and there, you have lost my respect right there. I know that you need content to keep your site going but do it by putting a lot of attention on up and comers, helping the rest of us by building up US racers of all aspects, proper cycling stories and help us to become the most dominant cycling country out there rather than this BS.

Next time I am in Colorado I will pull an Obama and we will sit down with the you, me and Bubba and have a beer over it, you're buying.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Where is it in the rule book?

The thing that annoys me the most about this is that chucky has posted it on every single forum mainly to bring traffic to his site, that is it. If he was so against it the why didn't he, or whoever was on the camera, put it down and tell him to stop.

If you want to hide behind the internet and let it all play out but not have the balls to step up yourself and squash it right then and there, you have lost my respect right there. I know that you need content to keep your site going but do it by putting a lot of attention on up and comers, helping the rest of us by building up US racers of all aspects, proper cycling stories and help us to become the most dominant cycling country out there rather than this BS.

Next time I am in Colorado I will pull an Obama and we will sit down with the you, me and Bubba and have a beer over it, you're buying.
I am trying to figure out were any sense is in what you said.......YES If I was Marshalling that race.....Dude would be gone off the course...if he didnt leave, just like I do with spectators breaking the rules at road races, I get the PD that is usually on site to remove them for me.

Heckling is one thing, but actually interfering with ar ace in anyway is Bull****....I dont hide behind the internet, I say it to peoples faces if they are interfering with race events. Its in the UCI rules, outside help is grounds for a DQ.....Your welcome to come down to the shop were we have stacks on stacks of UCI rule books, along with all the wonderfull Monthly updates we get.

I dont know in whos right mind an outside push is ok......I dont care what the reason for this video is.......Both the spectator, and the course marshalls are in the wrong.