Quantcast

Getting a shock revalved by Manitou?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Looking into picking up a Corsair Maelstrom frame to build, but it doesn't have a shock. As it's a 2:1 bike and uses a 10.5x3.5, most shocks on the market in this category are going to be overdamped for the frame. Looking at Revox's and the X6 or whatever they're called, mostly owing to cost. How easy is it to get HBG to do it, and what's the cost? Any third parties out there revalving Intrinsic shim damper shocks?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Do it yourself. It's really not that hard.

If you want stoopid easy to work on, see if you can find a Roco. 10.5x3 is a tough size for them, but they did make some for Corsair.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
DIY. As stated above, find a Roco if you want super straightforward. The change made for basic low leverage tunes are basically the same for all shocks.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Won't most 10.5"x3.5" shocks already have a low leverage tune on them anyway? Look out for used ones. If they came off a bike as an OEM unit, they are probably already set up that way.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Guys from manitou were not very helpful with revalving my revox for Maelstrom frame . Here is what they said :
"HI , you can run that shock on your bike with out re shimming it.
For tuning the shock it comes down to personal riding preference and you
will need to play with the settings to find your sweet spot.
Unfortunately there is no mathematical equation we can do to determine
"the best set up" for you. Your best bet is to run the shock dial it in
as close as you can. Then if you feel like you need more/less damping on
compression or rebound you can tune from there. The bad about doing it
this way is it can take some time."

WTF ? They don't know how to tune their product ? No comment .

Fortunately Doug from corsair told me , that his friend Jordan has a X6 swinger valved by mr Mike Dunn (technical product menager @ manitou) specialy for this frame , so i emailed him to get some more informations about this tune . After few days of mailing manitou tech , they told me that mr Dunn doesn't work for them anymore , but they emailed him and here is what he replied :

"Shock was shim based not SPV, built with a low leverage piston and piston bolt.

Compression Shim Stack

25x8x.15 2pc

23x8x.15 1pc

20x8x.15 1pc

13x8x.15 1pc

11x8x1 1pc

Rebound Primary Shim Stack

18x8x.15 2pc

11 clamp

Common Bleed Stack

16x6x.15 2pc

10.4x6x.15 1pc

IFP pressure 125psi"

Low lev. piston and piston bolts were made for oem shocks and are they no longer have these parts in stock . So i have valved my revox on "stock" piston and bolt and it is super sweet ! I have tried using piston from roco which has bigger bleed holes in it (it fits revox , ifp fits too ) but damping was too light , so i moved back to stock piston . I have changed the seal on IFP to this one from roco (less stiction) and its freakin gr8 . I weight 200lbs~ (and im using 250lbs/in spring but i want to change it to 200/225lbs spring), Jordan was riding the same setup (250lbs/in spring as well) in his X6 but he weights 175lbs . You can email Jordan ( jordan@hukee.com) , because he had(or still have it) his X6 for sale (he has an Elka shock right now)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I dunno how much the intrinsics differ from the swingers, but Craig over at Avalanche does a good shimming service on the swingers (gives the shock a great overhaul). Might be worth asking him.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Low lev. piston and piston bolts were made for oem shocks and are they no longer have these parts in stock . So i have valved my revox on "stock" piston and bolt and it is super sweet ! I have tried using piston from roco which has bigger bleed holes in it (it fits revox , ifp fits too ) but damping was too light , so i moved back to stock piston . I have changed the seal on IFP to this one from roco (less stiction) and its freakin gr8 . I weight 200lbs~ (and im using 250lbs/in spring but i want to change it to 200/225lbs spring), Jordan was riding the same setup (250lbs/in spring as well) in his X6 but he weights 175lbs . You can email Jordan ( jordan@hukee.com) , because he had(or still have it) his X6 for sale (he has an Elka shock right now)
Heh, Jordan is my good friend with the frame I'm thinking of building...he had a spare. He sold his other Maelstrom with the X6 and sold his Elka awhile back. Thanks for the info, though! Sounds like the Manitou might be a huge PITA for the frame.

How tough would tuning a Vivid for the frame be? Anyone?

I dunno how much the intrinsics differ from the swingers, but Craig over at Avalanche does a good shimming service on the swingers (gives the shock a great overhaul). Might be worth asking him.
I believe he was only doing it on SPV-damped Swingers and 5ths, right? I was thinking of picking up one and just having him revalve it, but the longest they came was 9.5 i2i.

Most 10.5 i2i shocks have little damping to begin with, but I was chatting with Jordan about it and he was of the opinion that it was generally still too much...the bike would ride okay, but definitely not optimally...and that Maelstrom is the tits when it's optimal.

Last edited:

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Yeah , You should call Craig and ask if he can tune X6 swinger as well . Revox shocks are very cheap now (ppl who bought M6 intense , sells them on ebay for like 200 bucks ?) , it is lighter and has a wider adjustment range than a swinger (larger shaft) . With avy tuning You have sub 400$ awesome shock, tuned specialy for You .