Quantcast

"Getting back on the horse"

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
So I've done some damage through the years, broken this, torn that, bruised something.

Got over a back injury from snowboarding - it was a bit of a hump, put me off of DH a little, but all is well.

This past year, a seemingly simple crash turned into a Lvl 4+ A/C separation; after the shock wore off, it was fantastically painful,and clearly 'wrong' with my clavicle pushing through trapezoid, not fun - had surgery.

I am just now able to ride XC as long as it isnt too rough or techy, but pretty damn satisfying after 6 months off the bike except a few short jaunts in the street.

I will get back there, I know it, but it has been rough being 'handicapped' and out of service for so long.

Anyone out there, maybe of the older persuasion (me 43) with any decent injuries/surgeries with any stories or good vibes would be nice to hear from.

I love bicycles, yay.

:thumb::):weee::D:p:rolleyes:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
These are just minor things in life its when we stop falling down that we most likely gave up and that in itself is the biggest injury to let happen willingly.

Remember regret is your friend if handled right, I hate starring at the ceiling at night knowing I should have hit a drop or something that day so i make a point to not feed regret.

Last edited:

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
i know exactly how you feel! i'm a little younger. 39. but feel like the years are slowing me down. i've had a lot of injuries over the years...we all have. but i had a crash last year as well that seemed so small but broke my leg ending the season for all bike riding, which sucked even worse than ending the race season. the only time i ride dh is race weekends. i'm going to keep at it though because i really get a lot out of it and love the competition. winning is great but losing and coming home thinking about what i could have done better to win isn't so bad either...

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...for a second there, before opening this thread I thought you were going to go in a completely different direction with that title... :)

We aren't near each other in age, but I had a pretty bad "off" back in 2007 that cracked two ribs off of my Thorasic spine. The injury was pretty scary as was the crash, but the most difficult part was the psychological recovery.

Everyone who races knows what I'm talking about when I refer to that year, or maybe that summer where it starts to click in your head. It may not be a conscious thing, but due to whatever steps in progression you have been taking (training smarter, riding with faster people) your speed starts to increase with almost every race. 2007 was like that for me until June when I wrecked in a dumb over the bars scenario.

I was off the bike for three months waiting for my ribs to fully heal and then when I got back on in September it was almost like starting over. I had a lot of time to think about the implications of what could have happened such as being paralyzed from the waist down and it weighed heavily on me. I loved riding too much to give it up, but that confidence I had to rip without the fear of consequence was all but gone. Everyone has "The Big One" at some point in the riding career and that was mine. Pros and Ams alike go through it; Kovarik had his riding moto in 2004, Matti had his in 2007, Sam had his back in 2010, and Barel had his not too long ago with his femur.

Racing was almost out of the question after the crash, but I felt that if I still had it in me to be smart in my approach to riding, maybe I could still go out and push myself in a race. I examined what I did wrong that day and after looking at things honestly, I really wanted to kick my own ass for being so stupid. It was a series of small things that led to a nearly catastrophic outcome. I made some mental notes and moved forward, but very cautiously and at my own pace. The funny thing was, I never really caught any sh!t from my friends whom I rode with but gave MYSELF a really hard time in pushing to progress. Basically I have good friends, but I am my toughest critic. LoL.

So the physical recovery wasn't all that bad, but the psychological recovery took me almost two full years until I was "on it" again.

Keep at it Huck - you'll get there and when you do it will feel immensely rewarding!

:thumb:

JimLad

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Whistler
Broke my shoulder and femur in a ski wreck in April 2010. Had been off the bike since the fall of 09 for the winter. Didn't get clearance to get back on the bike until Feb 2011. Was crapping my pants at first and it took 4 months or so to get the confidence back, after which I was riding faster than ever.

Just don't try to rush it.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
If you were on a 29er that crash would never had happened. You are to tall for a 26er.

Happy your wing is better. See you ate the mountains in a few months.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
If you were on a 29er that crash would never had happened. You are to tall for a 26er.

Happy your wing is better. See you ate the mountains in a few months.
I know your a big guy but please quit eating the mtns we are limited with riding spots as it is.

If you do continue remember to atleast drop logs so we can at least build jumps.

Last edited:

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
Fun stuff with a chance of a trip to the hospital is a calculated risk you take in sports and life. Your dues are all paid up now, So go have a blast and don't think twice about it!!

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Fun stuff with a chance of a trip to the hospital is a calculated risk you take in sports and life. Your dues are all paid up now, So go have a blast and don't think twice about it!!
Ooohh yeah!

Ill get there, pretty quick Im sure. Its awesome to hear good words. Ive had a series of major events, mostly bad, but some serious good too, over the past few years - Ive been really down due to being off the bike, and when I got back on for some XC recently, it was truly the best Ive felt in a long time. I love riding, I love risk (calculated)

I know what I did wrong: I was distracted and ill motivated and pushed myself too hard, then tried to back off under 'less than ideal' circumstances (aka punk out - you ALL know how that works)

The mental block is, the way I fell - I have done at least 20, maybe 100 times before, and it never turned into more than a scraped shoulder or elbow --- this one time, things lined up to destroy me - I never thought Id leave a resort unconscious in an ambulance, but voila!

Well, I will be back ASAP - therapy is getting me there; clicks and thumps fading. Cant wait to follow a bunch of you around to the races (and freeride like a psycho while you all ride the same trail all weekend!!!)

WOOOT, HUZZAH, and THANKS.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Bullcrew said:
I know your a big guy but please quit eating the mtns we are limited with riding spots as it is.

If you do continue remember to atleast drop logs so we can at least build jumps.

Meh, he's little. Give him a cubby hole to curl up in and the mtns'll be safe.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
pretty damn satisfying after 6 months off the bike except a few short jaunts in the street.
things like that make you remember why you got into bikes in the first place eh? Also I'd say that being hurt for so long can give you perspective on what's important, if you manage to stay mostly sane. Also helps you appreciate the value in staying healthy.

I was off the bike for nearly a year with a shattered tibia right below the knee joint. major reconstructive surgery, dead guy bone, screws, 5 months of crutches etc. then a good bit more of no shredding and regaining strength, balance etc. came back and dominated the jump that did it to me. now that was a good feeling.

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Never give up and always pursue the things you love. I know it gets harder and harder as you get older and older (I will be 40 this year), but I say mind over matter...... keeping in shape and eating the right foods helps as well. Good to hear you are moving back into it.

This coming Wed Feb 22 will be my 6 month mark. Actually last weekend was the first time for me back on the big bike. While the trail was a very moderate trail, it felt great to be back on the big bike, even though I had to fight some mental monkeys on my back.

6 months ago, I broke my neck..... broke my C6 and C7. Certainly pushing 40, I dont heal as quick as I used to. Also I did have a Leatt and wasn't wearing it.... GET ONE AND WEAR IT. Today I am left with the memory of what I had to pay in bills to close out 2011, two numb fingers, and a deformed pect muscle (it aint working) both due to some nerve issues. But I do realize I am very lucky and try not to take things for granted these days.

Ride Hard and Ride Fast (with a Leatt of course).

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Thanks! Had another ride today, a little short due to some over aggressive turns and soreness.

Fit? I havent been truly fit in years, but I am also on that path; finding my way out of a bunch of places.

All good.

No big bikes yet tho, more gym time before that happens.....

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
You love bikes. That's really all you need.

For a true junkie, time off the bike can make you appreciate the simple act of rolling around on two wheels. Rides that would have been boring or that you would take for granted can become the best thing ever once you are deprived. It's all about your attitude. You can lament the fact that you got hurt, or think positive, be glad you didn't get paralyzed and that you can still do what you love.

I've been riding bikes pretty much non-stop since I could, and I'm 42 now. All kinds of bikes. BMX/freestyle when I was younger, MTB, DH, freeride, jumps, road, whatever. I've been very lucky but the numbers caught up with me and I got tagged with a badly broken wrist 2.5 years ago on a Whistler trip. I caught my pedal on a hidden tree stump and before I knew it I was picking myself off the ground looking at my hand in the wrong place. It was one of those things that could have happened anywhere, on pretty much any trail. I ended up with some sweet ti hardware and what felt like forever off the bike.

For one of the first rides back I took a big squishy trail bike out on some wide fire roads. I felt awful and suffered mightily on a ride that I would usually snap off AFTER a real ride. And yet, I had a big grin on my face the whole time. It was glorious to get back on the bike.

It's easy to get philosophical about it, especially if you are sitting around unable to ride. This kind of thing makes you face bigger questions like mortality, inevitable decline, etc. You may not be the huck master forever, but as long as you enjoy the ride, that's what counts.

As far as recovery time goes, take the long view. People say life is short. Maybe. But for most, life is long, and there are plenty of rides ahead.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Today was the first time my tires touched dirt since November 30. I got surgery on my shoulder (bankart repair for recurrent dislocations) december 1st. I'm at 11 weeks now and feeling pretty good. Been doing PT 3x a week since mid december. Taking it pretty easy but felt awesome to rip some turns on dirt again.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
I 'hate' to be one of those guys but I'm 43 and am in the best shape of my life, riding my DH bike faster and more often, hitting bigger stuff, and riding more confidently than ever. I've had a bunch of injuries, 3 shoulder reconstructions, wrist reconstruction on L, smashed Rad/ulner on R, 3rd* AC sep, broken patella's on both knees, my forearms and shins looks like they were attacked by a cheese grater. I'm probably going to be a really broken down old man but I will still be riding, haha. I was a an all american wrestler so I'm used to dealing with pain and sacrifice, maybe that has something to do with my attitude, not sure, but I know that good things come with sacrifice. I go to the gym a lot, swim laps, lift weights, do yoga, ride tons of XC, stretch, eat right. ****, i even quit drinking/smoking. I don't know what the point is other than i can't imagine life without riding my bike. I got my first road bike when I was 5 years old, it was a cinelli 3 speed, I've been a riding addict since. I think that's a good thing and hope to look god in eyes when I die and truly profess no regrets. Keep riding, it keeps you young.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
I 'hate' to be one of those guys but I'm 43 and am in the best shape of my life, riding my DH bike faster and more often, hitting bigger stuff, and riding more confidently than ever. I've had a bunch of injuries, 3 shoulder reconstructions, wrist reconstruction on L, smashed Rad/ulner on R, 3rd* AC sep, broken patella's on both knees, my forearms and shins looks like they were attacked by a cheese grater. I'm probably going to be a really broken down old man but I will still be riding, haha. I was a an all american wrestler so I'm used to dealing with pain and sacrifice, maybe that has something to do with my attitude, not sure, but I know that good things come with sacrifice. I go to the gym a lot, swim laps, lift weights, do yoga, ride tons of XC, stretch, eat right. ****, i even quit drinking/smoking. I don't know what the point is other than i can't imagine life without riding my bike. I got my first road bike when I was 5 years old, it was a cinelli 3 speed, I've been a riding addict since. I think that's a good thing and hope to look god in eyes when I die and truly profess no regrets. Keep riding, it keeps you young.
You're 43 and stole my avatar picture!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have been off the DH bike for almost a year due to a shoulder that doesn't want to get better. I go for a ultrasound and an Xray Monday, if they show up fine I will be back to racing.

For the last couple of months I've been riding my hardtail in the bush on slicks, it stops me getting too silly and forces you to brake where you are supposed to, if you brake on an off camber section or mid corner you die.
I have been quite surprised at how quickly you can ride if you stay smooth, I've reeled in a couple of Lycra clad XCers on the descents.

Jan 8, 2007
Ladera Ranch
Well, recovering from serious injuries seems to be a rare talent. My advice is to just take your own time, and progress at your own level. I had a severe Tib/Fib in 2008. Recovery sucked, 7" plate with 5 screws. 8 weeks zero weight bearing. I still made it to Mammoth that year, but was NOT like it used to be. I'll never ride as aggressive as I used to. I found out I have more fun focusing on fun lines, and trying to better my basic fundamental instead of trying so hard to trim seconds off a race run. Do what feels good, your body will tell you.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
All I can say is I was "fat, drunk, and stupid" for 25 yrs I started biking at 40 and life got way better. Booze, and that whole dead end lifestyle is gone, healing Vibes and best wishes to all (btw I broke my collar bone and being off bike was torture) be safe time heals all