Quantcast

Ghetto bearing press disaster

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
So I was pressing a new set of breaings into my Sunday last night and I ddin't use enough washers and the bearing went in a little slanted. I backed in out but now there is a small divot in the frame from where the bearing angled itself. Ive gotta press the bearing in still but Im wondering if anyone has run into this before and if it will be an issue or if I should just press it in again or if I should dremel the divot a little to flatten the surface as best as possible. Its on a pivot bearing so the area is definitely going to be under a lot of load. Waiting for you guys before I go on.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Pictures would help, but it sounds like the best option would be to smooth out any ridges, then fill in the gaps using the loctite 609 trick prescribed by Udi in the sunday thread. That should fill in the valleys. Press in the bearing, and I doubt it will be of consequence.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I pressed bearings in my M3 recently with a Vise.

Was a bit heavy to hold in place but it worked well....

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Ill try to post some pictures later tonight, but I am not sure I have a high enough res camera to really show the divot. Its definitely small but large enough to feel running a finger across it.

mazzino

Chimp
Apr 7, 2005
Seattle, WA
Ill try to post some pictures later tonight, but I am not sure I have a high enough res camera to really show the divot. Its definitely small but large enough to feel running a finger across it.
This happened to me years ago on a Rocky RM7 bearing, where the linkage attached to the frame. I smoothed out the divot (don't take too much off) with some fine-grit sandpaper and used Loctite 680 (retaining compound) as mentioned above. It held fine. That stuff is pretty strong. Good luck.

Edit: not sure how Loctite 680 compares to 609, but I had the 680 from when I installed a pressed-in BB so I used it.

Last edited:

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
You should not use a dremel. use a file or sandpaper, you'll just eff your bike up even more. not sure what pivot on the sunday you screwed up but if you can remove the burrs and press it back in straight you should be allright.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Easiest way to make a cheap press is some stud bar with over sized washers and nuts. Nice and gentle pressure and easy to handle. Lightly sand the ridges and try not let the bearing following the previous line up.