Quantcast

Giant AC2...pics and opinions

Jul 9, 2007
just put a manitou travis 150 on it. looks sexy and rides like a dream. took her to pisgah and it was amazing.

cept now i have some major frame flex and creaking again so i think im gonna get a preston and just transfer the parts.
I'm having similar problems after putting a z.1 up front.
The bike definitely rides infinitely better than it did with the manitou minute I had on there. Descending is absolutely blissful and have already beaten the snot out of some of my fastest DH times on my trails at home.

However, now that I am jumping bigger and descending faster, I have some mad rear-end flex going on.

I'm questioning what the solution is.
I know some of the problem is in the rear as I am running a pretty light rear setup (salsa delgado disc rim).
But at the same time, i know the AC has a tendancy to be a bit noodly in the chainstays.

So the real solution I guess is to get a new rear wheel and a better frame (I'm feeling a canfield 'the one'). But I think for now I may just get a new rear wheel and see how that helps.

anyone have any recommendations for a stiffer rear setup that isn't much heavier than what I have?
my current is
salsa delgado disc laced to an xt hub using dt comp spokes.

I have a rhyno lite rim laying around, and I was thinking of building it up on a better rear hub (hadley?) and seeing how that compared to my current setup.

skerb

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Clemson,SC
I dont think the rear rim is the problem. his AC has rhinolite XLs and 2.5 minions on it. You can tell it is the rear triangle flexing, not the wheel.

clemsonbiker

Chimp
Oct 23, 2007
I'm having similar problems after putting a z.1 up front.
The bike definitely rides infinitely better than it did with the manitou minute I had on there. Descending is absolutely blissful and have already beaten the snot out of some of my fastest DH times on my trails at home.

However, now that I am jumping bigger and descending faster, I have some mad rear-end flex going on.

I'm questioning what the solution is.
I know some of the problem is in the rear as I am running a pretty light rear setup (salsa delgado disc rim).
But at the same time, i know the AC has a tendancy to be a bit noodly in the chainstays.

So the real solution I guess is to get a new rear wheel and a better frame (I'm feeling a canfield 'the one'). But I think for now I may just get a new rear wheel and see how that helps.

anyone have any recommendations for a stiffer rear setup that isn't much heavier than what I have?
my current is
salsa delgado disc laced to an xt hub using dt comp spokes.

I have a rhyno lite rim laying around, and I was thinking of building it up on a better rear hub (hadley?) and seeing how that compared to my current setup.
yeah, im runnin a decent setup in the rear and it still flexes like crazy. i can sit there and flex it rear triangle while holding the brakes. you can auctally see it move. but im just gonna ride it till i can get the money to upgrade which i hope is soon because im not sure on the life span left on the giant.