Quantcast

Giant Glory 2010 01

Sigmound

Chimp
Jul 29, 2011
Hey,
I have a the above bike, and have taken it on a few trips to the Alps, and ride it at my local trails which are not that steep, but have some technical sections. It performs fine, but I am pretty clueless when it comes to a bike running well/not running well. That said I am starting to become more aware.

My question is what are the options to improve this rig for steeper terrain, it's almost totally standard. I'm running Chromab OSX bars with a 20mm rise. I am hoping to go back to the Alps soon and hit a mixture of trails, maybe even the fabled Champery.

I was told a drop crown for my Boxxers would be a good start, not fully sure why and they aren't really available anywhere I've looked.

Sigmound

Chimp
Jul 29, 2011
Okay thanks for the response, I'm wondering is that based on experience, or something else...

That's a 2 degree headset slackener, I'm going to assume that was no mistake?

Sorry for the ignorance, but until now I've been happy to hop and ride, but I am getting to understand the bike and myself a bit better and I'm realising the differences between various settings etc...

My only concern is that I'll run it with that in the Alps, and then shelve it when I'm home...would I be better getting a more conservative 1 or 1.5 and leaving it in?...I am reluctant to change things around too much.....

Sigmound

Chimp
Jul 29, 2011
Hmm...I've seen that, but I'd rather try something less drastic...

Did it make that much difference? If so in what way?

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Correct me if I am wrong, but having a "drop crown" -> lowering position of the h-bar is not necessarily good on such steep tracks as Champery. See Giant Off-Road riders setups (which may be just personal preferences, but gives clue) - high upper crowns, custom washers under DM stems, regular, not flatbars.
I agree, that any kind of angleset (CC, Works, FSA) would make your Glory mare stable and you more confident on steep sections.
This is why Giant is going to equip 2012 Glories with such headsets, most probably.

***MTB***

Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
SoCal
I ride a 2010 Giant Glory 01 and changing the headangle made the biggest difference to how the bike rode out of all the upgrades I did (almost everything is upgraded at this point). I probably would have gone with the works headset if I knew about it at the time, but I ended up with the angleset set at 1.5 degrees. The bike is much more stable and handles all the trails I ride (steep and mellow ones) much better. It did make a clanking sound when I first installed it, but after rebuilding it a couple times after various rides, it stopped making the noise. Either that, or I'm so used to it I don't notice it anymore. But I'm pretty sure I got rid of the clanking finally, which really frustrated me when I first got the angleset.

Have fun in the Alps!

Sigmound

Chimp
Jul 29, 2011
Okay dude, thanks...I'll order one and see how it goes...I love the bike, really do..but I wouldn't have anything to compare it to....apart from my hardtail, so I'll give this a try.....

Thanks for the advice....will post up in a few weeks with some feedback....and I sure will :)

Sigmound

Chimp
Jul 29, 2011
Just to clarify, is this the right Angleset for the Glory 2010

AngleSet ZS44 | ZS56
Technical Description ZS44/28.6/H13/K|ZS56/30/H4/K
Top Type ZS - ZeroStack
Top Head Tube Inside Diameter 44.00mm
Stem Clamp Diameter 28.6mm
Top Stack Height 13mm
Top Bearing Type Black Oxide, Sealed
Bottom Type ZS - ZeroStack
Bottom Head Tube Inside Diameter 55.95mm
Crown Race Seat Diameter 30.015mm
Crown Race Type Steel, Sealed
Bottom Bearing Type Black Oxide, Sealed
Material 7075

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
read the angel set problems thread. then just get the works components headset. it will be trouble free, versus potential constant issues w/ CC angle set.

Sigmound

Chimp
Jul 29, 2011
Ach, thanks but it's ordered now anyway.....I'll just to have see how it goes, might order the Works anyway as back up...don't want to be "Oh what's that weird noise?" (Falls over cliff)...

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Like the marshalolson said, read the angleset thread...

I just heavily put the grease to my angleset and so far its been running a solid month with no clunking.

Sigmound

Chimp
Jul 29, 2011
Okay, cool....haven't had time to read the whole thing....but I'll invest in grease also...any particular type?

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Okay, cool....haven't had time to read the whole thing....but I'll invest in grease also...any particular type?
I use Synthetic stuff, but any assembly/bearing grease should do. Use it generously between every surface, and dont be scared to really put the torque down on the preload.

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
I have been using the Works angleset all year (I have a -2 deg) and zero problems.

Don't really get why people want to spend more money on the CC-angleset, with potentially more problems.

Anyhooo, the slacker angle both offer is the perfect tweak for the Glory.

Sigmound

Chimp
Jul 29, 2011
I went for it solely because it offers more adjustability. In fairness I like to keep things constant, but my riding can be on hugely varying tracks and I'm only really getting the hang of downhill now. Therefore I felt it offered me a chance to fine tune my bike. (I'm also a commitment phobe :)

I should say I didn't realise they were troublesome...and I am hoping I have no problems with it. That said if I do I'll find the angle I like most and then replace it with the appropriate Works one.

Sigmound

Chimp
Jul 29, 2011
Okay, so I have the Angleset and it's fitted....I noticed that the top black 'ring' that sits directly into the frame is not sitting flush onto the frame.

As in there is a 2mm gap between the frame and lip of the black 'ring' that had to be squeezed into the frame. Is this a common occurrence with the CCA and the Glory 2010?