Quantcast

Giant Glory Owners??

TBC

Chimp
Oct 18, 2005
Okay well ive been looking for a DH bike and i found a really good deal on a Giant Glory!
Well from those who own them or have had the chance to ride them....
How do you like the bike?
Was the shock placment a pain in anyway?
How does it pedal?
Is it really heavy?
How does it handle?

Thanks,
TBC

Bearmntpicnic

Monkey
Oct 23, 2005
charlottesville
it corners well but alot of people race glorys instead with like something switched around with the suspension so it raised the bottom bracket up or drops it or something and apparently alot of the giant riders are doing that.

i think it looks sweet but apparently its realllly slack

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
Bearmntpicnic said:
it corners well but alot of people race glorys instead with like something switched around with the suspension so it raised the bottom bracket up or drops it or something and apparently alot of the giant riders are doing that.

i think it looks sweet but apparently its realllly slack
You must be thinking of Giant's other DH bike with Maestro suspension, the Faith. You can spin the upper link around to slacken the geometry somewhat. The Faith is a decent bike, the Glory is great. I don't want to exaggerate or sound like I'm selling them, but the Glory is the DH bike that needed to be made. It is beefy and tough, works great, and is a blast to ride. It isn't so light and low that it's race-only and it doesn't try to be anything other than a DH bike. No BS features. There are some peculiarities, though. It uses a 1.5" lower BB cup and a 1 1/8" upper cup. I guess the idea is to give the strength of a 1.5" lower and save weight up top, but it's just a pain. I swapped the lower loose-ball cup for an E13 reducer set up.

Stock, the bike is heavy and comes with a few subpar components. HFX-9's on a $4500 bike? The bike comes stock with single-ply Kenda trail-bike tires and XC tubes. Lame. Pull them off immediately. The cranks are super beefy and super heavy. The RF Evolve bar/stem combo is also pretty disappointing. The bars are really narrow and the whole combo is heavy.

It's a sweet bike, but it's not "bling" or racer-style. Also, watch out on the initial build. Giant assembles the bike in Taiwan, and the few that I have seen come out of the boxes have needed to be torn down and re-built. Shredded bolt threads, poorly installed headset cups...etc.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I love my Glory, everything that I wanted in a DH bike. The one thing I find a bit strange is how short the top tube is. Its not debilitating or anything, but it is pretty short, a lot shorter than anything else I have ridden in the same size. Other than that, no problems with mine, but like stgil888 said, take off the tires immediatly and put whatever tires you like, and I switched the bar and stem out for a 50mm Thomson/Easton combo. Love the bike though, get it for sure.

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
i love mine! mine is weighing in at around 43 ish and will get lightened up quite a bit more once i swap more parts out. its a great bike.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
They're a bit heavy. They pedal well because of the Maestro suspension. I say if it's a good deal go for it, but look around first to see what else you can buy.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
i love mine! mine is weighing in at around 43 ish and will get lightened up quite a bit more once i swap more parts out. its a great bike.
of course you love your's, you haven't ridden it yet! haha

I have not ridden one either, but from some measurments they seem to have kind of a high bb with a steepish headangle... But I have a 14"bb and a 64.5' head angle which I like alot. I think the BB on the Glory was almost 14.5"-14.75" and the headangle seemed to be closer to 66' But I am not exactly sure on that. We tried some measurments to see what it would be like with a 9.0x2.75" shock and the BB would have been around 13.5" which is just a little too low, but the headangle would have been sweet with nice low bars. Too bad no one makes a 9.25"x2.75" shock. That would be the perfect setup on that bike. It would give you 65' head angle and 8" of travel!

Kris, maybe you'll have to order something special from Fox!

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
hey i was doing sweet 2 foot gaps w/ my cast on haha. to answer your question dave kinda... i dont have full mobility yet and it hurts jerry thinks a week -week and ahalf untill i can ride w/o pain.

i think the glory is a sweet bike for the money you can build them pretty light by doing little things

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
I would probably be riding one if I didnt have a faith, but I really cant get myself to buy one. The sizing is so stupid, the toptubes are either way too short, or way too long.

I just think its funny that my faith has a longer wheelbase, lower bottom bracket and is about as slack. Yet its their "freeride" bike, and their glory is supposedly a better dh bike.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
stgil888 said:
Stock, the bike is heavy and comes with a few subpar components. HFX-9's on a $4500 bike? The bike comes stock with single-ply Kenda trail-bike tires and XC tubes. Lame. Pull them off immediately. The cranks are super beefy and super heavy. The RF Evolve bar/stem combo is also pretty disappointing. The bars are really narrow and the whole combo is heavy.
Not the aussie version bling spec
40s, X0, Juicys, Michi tyres with dh tubes,
still not light by any standard but excellent spec