Quantcast

Giant Glory

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I know you guys probably get a lot of question similar to this, but I am looking at getting a 2006 Giant Glory and wanted to know what you guys think? How do you like the suspension design? Thanks in advance.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I think it looks like the shock is fvcking the downtube.

Seriously, it rides pretty good from most input I've heard, but its not light. Mid 40's builds with respectably light parts.

Lil Dave can tell you all about it.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I know you guys probably get a lot of question similar to this, but I am looking at getting a 2006 Giant Glory and wanted to know what you guys think? How do you like the suspension design? Thanks in advance.
I have a 07 on back order now. I rode only one and loved it. It feels much like a Sunday. The only thing I would do is sell off some of the stock parts and buy lighter ones. I am replacing the wheel set, Tires (Tubeless), Stem, Bars, Grips, Seat and Post, Chain Guide with a LG-1, Ti Spring, and maybe the brakes to Avids. I hope to get it down to 40lbs.

There are a lot of treads posted already on the Glory that may help you out. Just do a search.

Good luck,
Cecil

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Yea, I already have plans on maybe putting Avid Codes on there. Im not a fan of Hayes. I heard the Mavic 729's were a bombproof rim and Im a fan of Sun Ringle. Later down the line I may do something different. This bike will mostly be a race bike/ freeride bike.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
The 2006 Glory is killer. It feels nothing like the other Maestro bikes I've ridden. It's a really well thought out frame. It's super stiff, tough, and from my experience, not as heavy as everyone is making it out to be.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
It's a 13 pound frame. But most of the weight seems to be concentrated low on the frame so it should still ride well.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
I've heard they are a very similar ride to the sunday, but just not quite there. Geometry is a little goofy as well. High bb, steep head angle. I think I saw on Giant's site, that the head angle is 67' for '07!! That's way too rediculously steep for dh.

I'm in the process of working with Kris for a custom shock to get the geometry dialed in. So that will help it quite a bit.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
I wouldnt say the bb is high, I am used to 13.6 at 8'' of travel and when I rode a glory it felt pretty low too. They are a little steep , but I wouldnt trust all the info on the giant website as they never seem to get posted stuff correct.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
I definitely wouldn't say that the Glory is steep. The BB is nice and low and with an 8" fork, it's actually on the slack side. If you have the sag set to manufacturer's specs, I don't think you'll find it too steep.

EVILTWIN

Monkey
Mar 9, 2005
the loins of god
I too just scored an 07 Glory and am waiting for lighter parts. I was wondering about spring rates. I stripped it before riding it and now want a ti spring. How does it ride? I'm not sure about the ratios of this bike. Im 180lbs. usually run a 550#, just thought if the bike was overly plush to go with a 600#.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
There arent many difference between the 2006 and 2007 except I believe they changed the frame a little. I know a lot of people that stand by the Maestro stuff. Seems to be a hit just like the DW link. I should be ordering mine on Monday, hopefully.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
I too just scored an 07 Glory and am waiting for lighter parts. I was wondering about spring rates. I stripped it before riding it and now want a ti spring. How does it ride? I'm not sure about the ratios of this bike. Im 180lbs. usually run a 550#, just thought if the bike was overly plush to go with a 600#.
I am 180lbs and I will be running a 450 Ti Spring. I like my bikes super plush though. Normally use the preload and rebound to off set the lighter spring.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Yea, I will probably just run what is on there when it comes and maybe down the line, change it. Does a Ti spring really make a big difference?

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Yea, I will probably just run what is on there when it comes and maybe down the line, change it. Does a Ti spring really make a big difference?
Run the stock spring for a while and see how it works for you. As most will say a Ti spring is just for dropping weight. I feel a little difference in a steel and Ti spring. For some reason to me a Ti always feels a little more plush.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Ok. I will look into that further down the line. I have a few ideas how I could make this thing lighter, but for now I think I'll just ride it.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
If I'm 6'3" and with long legs. What size should I be on? I know last year the did two Larges, a 16.5 and a 17.7. I saw a local with a Glory and it said 18 inch on the frame, so I am guessing that means a 17.7 and it didnt feel bad. Just wanted to get some input as of what size I should get. As of now, I have the 17.7 to be ordered. Thanks.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
If I'm 6'3" and with long legs. What size should I be on? I know last year the did two Larges, a 16.5 and a 17.7. I saw a local with a Glory and it said 18 inch on the frame, so I am guessing that means a 17.7 and it didnt feel bad. Just wanted to get some input as of what size I should get. As of now, I have the 17.7 to be ordered. Thanks.
Call 1-800-USGIANT and ask for the tech support. They are the best ones to ask. I am 5'11" with long torso and arms and will be running a Med 07 frame.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Looks like there was a mix up and were not getting an 06 Glory because there arent any left. I am going to look in the three companys that we carry (Giant, Specialized, Cannondale) and decide which DH bike I want. Or whoever can give me the best price. I may look into possibly getting a 2007 Glory because it sounds like its a sweet bike.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Looks like there was a mix up and were not getting an 06 Glory because there arent any left. I am going to look in the three companys that we carry (Giant, Specialized, Cannondale) and decide which DH bike I want. Or whoever can give me the best price. I may look into possibly getting a 2007 Glory because it sounds like its a sweet bike.
Yep, I had a 06 on hold at Giant for a smoking deal waiting for other bikes to come in to be shipped to my shop. Another rep there took it and sold it. I was pissed. But they hooked me up with a deal on a 07. Not much more than what the 06 was going to be. I said ok, but have to wait till Dec. to get it. If you can get the shop to get a deal for you on a 07 I would get it. You really can't beat the build and the cost for a high end frame design like the Glory.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Thats what I was thinking. See I work at a shop and 3 of us are trying to get DH bikes to race next year. I think I am still going to look into getting a Glory still because thats a hell of a deal like you said. There is more too it then that though.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
I'm almost exactly the same size. I'd go with the 17er as opposed to the 16. The size difference is definitely more than the one inch implies.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Sweet. Yea, now what bike I am going to get is up in the air. I am hoping it will be either a Specialized or Giant.