Quantcast

Gig spam: Neurosis and Mastodon in Brooklyn

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
:rofl: poor H8R, all geared up, loading his bike on his car, and Saruman is behind him saying "the nine have left Minas Morgul"

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
:rofl: poor H8R, all geared up, loading his bike on his car, and Saruman is behind him saying "the nine have left Minas Morgul"
Gandalf standing at the trail head:

"You shall not PASS!"

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
No sweat! :) I'll still consider making the 3 hour trek is Jim Mac is along as the designated driver. :thumb:

Limited Edition poster... :drool:

Fixed! HAHA! I'll get back to ya on the date (old man 9:00 pm bed time Jim Mac sets in at this very moment...)

EDIT: I think I traded my tolerance for driving to shows with driving to races....Tigg, want to race at Massanutten with me?

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I'm in for a poster.

Edit: better make it 2, AtTheGates would murder me for mine so I better bribe him with one.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
...experimental metal band Neurosis
Can a band be considered experimental after all these years? How many albums do you have to put out before you are considered "production quality"?

Awesome reviews, thanks for sharing.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i wouldn't equate 'experimental' w/ having to do w/ 'production quality'.

good reviews. my buddy jason was the shooter who provided the shots for the Rolling Stone article. seems like everyone covered the Thursday show, but there were a few shooters on friday.

i'm currently under a crushload of work now, but hopefully will get some photos done by the weekend.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I was pleased to have made Friday's show. Neurosis was on my shortlist of bands I wanted to see live, mountain bike message board enthusiast drummer notwithstanding. They did not disappoint. Great sound (loud and clean), tight playing and the B&W films playing as a backdrop were an amazing visual. I was even home by 12:30 so I didn't get yelled at by the babysitter. Also, it was great to get to see Mastodon again in a small venue.

Narlus, hope you found the place without too much trouble. The subway exit there kinda landed you in a weird spot.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i found it no problem; got off @ the lafayette stop (c line?), and walked the ~6 or so blocks to it. no good places to eat or drink nearby though. my friend and i had to hoof it a bunch of blocks south for a fairly lousy burger/beer combo, and i was worried that when i got back to the temple, the front row would be claimed. alas, no such worries, so after checking my coat and grabbing a beer, i was stationed right up front.

too bad i didn't get to meet you or H8R, but there is always next time.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
i wouldn't equate 'experimental' w/ having to do w/ 'production quality'.
I just thought there was a limit for how long you could "experiment". If I smoked pot for 20 years, I have long passed from "experimenting" into pothead at about year 3.

It just sounded funny when I read it. You could call them "Metal Enthusiasts". :rofl:

Mitch Hedberg said:
If you boat a lot you are known as a boating enthusiast. I like to boat, but I just don't ever want to be referred to as a boating enthusiast. I hope they call me a guy that likes to boat.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I just thought there was a limit for how long you could "experiment". If I smoked pot for 20 years, I have long passed from "experimenting" into pothead at about year 3.
We've been playing music together for 22 years and we are just scratching the surface of what is possible. I wouldn't tag my own band with any kind of label though, "experimental" or otherwise.

Some people tag it as "sludge" or "doom" or that we are the grandfathers of "post-metal" (whatever the fvck that is). All of the genre designations are meaningless to me.

We just play whatever the hell we feel like. We don't write for anyone but us. It's 100% self centered.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
And that's why I give you guys much respect. I'm not a fan of labels and it bothers me even more when bands try to fit (or even worse, try to fill) an image or label based on the last tour, single, or album.

My comments were in no way aimed at you, I hope they didn't come across that way.