Quantcast

Giro Animas - anyone wearing one? Feedback apprciated

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I currently have a Bell Influx that is beat to crap and kinda fallin apart inside, and a Vigor Techfire that has a nice low profile but is very poorly vented.

I sweat like a mofo and I'm looking for a helmet that will provide a lot of ventilation.

I saw some 2003 Animas helmets at a good price but would love to hear from anyone who's wearing one.

Does it work well, well vented (seems like it would be with 27 vents!)?

Anyone have any comparisons as to how it would fare vs. say a Giro Xen.

The 2003 Animas is about $20 less than a 2003 Xen - so I'm wondering if it is the way to go.

Any other alternatives that won't break the bank yet will provide tons of ventilation? I haven't seen any E2's for less than the Animas or Xen and the E2 has the same amount of vents as the Animas as well - just a tad bit lighter is all - but nothing astronomical.

Thanks in advance!

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
I've had mine since Fall and I don't think its any more well ventilated than my $30 Giro Torrent. It has a better fit system but I wouldn't say that it ventilates any better, which is kind of a downer. Thank God the majority of my riding is in the woods.
I'd like to know if anyone has used the Animas and E2. I'm almost tempted to have two helmets; one for winter and one for summer.

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
Hmm, oddly enough it feels a hair bit heavier. Nothing I notice when I'm wearing it, though, just when I'm holding them in my hands. The biggest difference between the two just seems to be the fitting system.

If you can find one to try on in the store, I recommend doing that b/c they fit completely differently. THe Animas seems to have a deeper "bucket".

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
spam time

Buy my 03-04 (dunno) Gyro Switchblade. It's brand new. Used like 2x at night in the winter. It fits with a ski mask over my head, but is too loose otherwise. Not a scratch on it. Titanium finish is the color and it's a large. $100

I paid close to $200 for it.

Knuckle

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Kristina - I've tried on the Animas and it fits well, the Xen also fits great - in fact the Xen fits better than any other brain bucket I've tried on. Same weight as the Animas too - I can get one in gold from Performance for $80, but the Animas is $60......hmmm.

Knuckles - your Switchblade would be too big. PM Splat about it though.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
MMcG said:
The 2003 Animas is about $20 less than a 2003 Xen - so I'm wondering if it is the way to go.
Mark, what are you paying for the Xen?
One of my buddies just had Performance price match Jensons $99 for the 04 Xen, and then he applied a 20% off coupon, so it was $80 total. At that price, I'm considering one myself........

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Mackie said:
Mark, what are you paying for the Xen?
One of my buddies just had Performance price match Jensons $99 for the 04 Xen, and then he applied a 20% off coupon, so it was $80 total. At that price, I'm considering one myself........
Performance has em on sale right now for $79.00 - where did he get the coupon?

The only color at that price is the Gold - same one that IAB wears - not the greatest, but hey at that price you can't be too picky right?

Or did your buddy use the price match on a 2004??

woops re-read your post and saw it was a 2004. The gold is a 2003 for $79 - hell if I could get that and 20% off somehow I'd jump on it I think. The gold color will actually come in handy in the fall around here - certainly better than a white helmet - which might get mistaken for a white tail of a deer! :eek:

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
Ahh, yeah, when I tried on the XEN it was the most comfortable helmet I tried and the Animas was second. The only thing with the Animas is that I didn't realize in the store that it wasn't sitting down as far as it was supposed to. WHen I started night riding, I had to tighten the helmet a good amount and found that it pushed on my temples and I end up getting headaches after an hour or so. Oh well, its a good helmet nonetheless but if I could have gotten the XEN for a reasonable amount, I would have done that.