Quantcast

giving myself chemical burns

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
Holy crap, I am going to pay for this one!

I have been using a couple of different chemical paint strippers to strip my Lenzsport frame so I can powdercoat it. I started out being really careful, correct gloves, lots of ventilation...etc. I started losing patients and was using a plastic brush/scraper combo and didn't realize that I was splattering the stripper all over. Then after wiping down the frame and swingarm I went and rinsed them off and continues to peel paint off the frame with my bare hand for the last hour.

I have washed my hands 3 times and still feel tingling...YIKES!

Instigator = stupid when it comes to patients :(

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Instigator said:
Instigator = stupid when it comes to patients :(
Good thing your not a doctor. Sorry couldn't resist.

What does the package say about skin contact? You may be able to neutralize it before is does anymore damage. Chemi burns suck!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Westy said:
What does the package say about skin contact? You may be able to neutralize it before is does anymore damage.
:stupid:

Always look at the package for chemicals if you get it on your skin.. There's usually something that you can use to almost instantly neutralize the chemical - water doesn't usually work.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
No worries mate... what really happens is that the toxic chemical molecules actually work their way through the cells of your flesh until it hits the bone. At that point it penetrates just to the layer of marrow and is neutralized... this only causes only minor damage. :)

J

JRB

Westy said:
Good thing your not a doctor. Sorry couldn't resist.

What does the package say about skin contact? You may be able to neutralize it before is does anymore damage. Chemi burns suck!

Thanks - I didn't have to do it. :thumb:

I was cleaning a carb on a chainsaw and sprayed the crap and the jet on the opposite end pointed to my eye. This was a great way to learn a valuable lesson. Glad I had glasses on instead of contacts that night.

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
T-Blazer said:
come on down to the shop and scrub them in the parts cleaner tank !
I had my hands in the safety clean tank at work last night, so I don't think I need another dose of those chemicals.

Oh and I was also using muritic acid last night!!! It is a type of hydrocloric acid, luckily we have the neutralizer with it at all times. So that means I was safe 1 out of 3 times....woopie!

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
The last time I got a chemical burn on my hands I had to get this steroid cream from the doctor. I also had to wear socks over my hands for a week. Least fun sock puppets ever. :blah: Hope it heals up quick dude.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
To neutralize the effect put your hands in a chemical with a high Base :devil:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
It's a good thing you were not using hydrofluoric acid (HF). :dead:
I hate working with chemicals...

Big_Papa1080

Village Idiot
Dec 10, 2001
Fairbanks, Alaska
"Tyler Durden : Shut up! Our fathers were our models for God. If our fathers bailed, what does that tell you about God?
Narrator : No, no, I... don't...
Tyler Durden : Listen to me! You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you. He never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. This is not the worst thing that can happen.
Narrator : It isn't? "

theres ur fight club quote, its not about the chemical burn, but its what he says during the chemical burn scene