Quantcast

Glad I didn't have any money in the market

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i made the mistake of opening my 401k statement. 22% loss so far this year.
i also lost enough in some other "play" investments that i won't be buying as many bike parts for a while. f'd up.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
i made the mistake of opening my 401k statement. 22% loss so far this year.
i also lost enough in some other "play" investments that i won't be buying as many bike parts for a while. f'd up.
Suddenly your username is painfully accurate :biggrin:

Sucks though. Good thing I had the foresight to just spend all my money.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I took my money out of my 401k to buy my house in June. We got a good price ont he house and while the market has dropped we haven't lost any money on the house. If the money was in my 401k I would have lost a ton because it was in all aggressive accounts.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
If the money was in my 401k I would have lost a ton because it was in all aggressive accounts.
Mine is allocated aggressively but being young there is plenty of time to recover. This is just a dip (being optimistic) in the ups & downs of the market.

If the new president (like they both plan to do) relaxes the taxes & penalties for getting into your 401k the only way I would consider it is to buy a home & a chuck of land.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Mine is allocated aggressively but being young there is plenty of time to recover. This is just a dip (being optimistic) in the ups & downs of the market.

If the new president (like they both plan to do) relaxes the taxes & penalties for getting into your 401k the only way I would consider it is to buy a home & a chuck of land.
Think about the fact that you wouldn't have puke covered snow piles. Might not be such a good idea.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I've been relatively unscathed as I got out months ago, but I have a few names that are down 50%+. If you follow the threads in PNW, there's a lot of discussion going on already. Now is the time to ramp up contributions to your 401k's and funds, as everything is cheap. I still believe it will go down a substantial amount more, but it allows you to dollar cost average at increasingly lower prices.

Now you buy, when people think the world is ending. Sell when everyone thinks it will go up forever.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
The wife and I only have a little money is a general savings account at Wells Fargo (thank goodness it wasn't WaMu). And her 401k is in good shape because we invest in very, very safe investments. We actually made like $30.00 over the past few months. Haha...

I have a profit sharing plan through the law office I work at, but unfortunately, it was invested in some stuff at WaMu and since has lost a piss load of money. But it was going might well considering that I only contribute like $10 a month to it.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Why? You do realize that accounts are insured, correct? :confused:
I worked at Wells Fargo for a while. FDIC Insurance does nothing for you.

Yes, they cover up to $100,000, and yes, they will pay you back. But, they can take up to 10 years to pay you back, and they don't have to give you a dime until the end of that 10 years. Maybe this has changed, but when I worked at Wells Fargo about 5 years ago, this information wasn't something they wanted their personal bankers to tell customers.

In other words, not factoring in the piss-poor market we're in, at an average inflation rate of 3.0% per year if you get your $100,000 back in 10 years, the government might as well have stolen, give or take, about 30k from you.

Not to mention the loss of investment on that money that you should have had. :disgust1:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I worked at Wells Fargo for a while. FDIC Insurance does nothing for you.

Yes, they cover up to $100,000, and yes, they will pay you back. But, they can take up to 10 years to pay you back, and they don't have to give you a dime until the end of that 10 years. Maybe this has changed, but when I worked at Wells Fargo about 5 years ago, this information wasn't something they wanted their personal bankers to tell customers.

In other words, not factoring in the piss-poor market we're in, at an average inflation rate of 3.0% per year if you get your $100,000 back in 10 years, the government might as well have stolen, give or take, about 30k from you.

Not to mention the loss of investment on that money that you should have had. :disgust1:
If this is true... it's frikkin' classic. :disgust1:

I'm starting to get a bit skeptical of what you're claiming. From the FDIC website:

When can I expect to receive my money?
Federal law requires the FDIC to make payments of insured deposits "as soon as possible" upon the failure of an insured institution. While every bank failure is unique, there are standard policies and procedures that the FDIC follows in making deposit insurance payments. It is the FDIC's goal to make deposit insurance payments within two business day of the failure of the insured institution.

Last edited:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
my dad sounded fairly relieved today when i told him today that i want to transfer to a school that's about $15,000 cheaper per year. i believe my college fund actually fluctuates a bit with the market, so cheaper is certainly better at this point.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
All my funds are in Wamu. There was no break in service. I actually get better ATM coverage now, as I can go to chase ATM's now.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
my dad sounded fairly relieved today when i told him today that i want to transfer to a school that's about $15,000 cheaper per year. i believe my college fund actually fluctuates a bit with the market, so cheaper is certainly better at this point.
It must be nice...

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
I also think we have the potential for more down... Dow 6500-7000 should be a lock at some point.

I made it through this downturn pretty well... because of my heavy weighting in real estate, my net worth is only down about 10% YTD. I live in upstate NY where the home values still have not declined.

I bought about 5 grand worth of silver (SLV) under $10 this week for my Roth IRA... There are some deflationary pressures now, but long term inflation should be a lock with how our guv-ment is printing money. At that point, you should see precious metals soar. At these levels a 30-40% return in the next 18-24 months is a pretty sure bet.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
I also think we have the potential for more down... Dow 6500-7000 should be a lock at some point.

I made it through this downturn pretty well... because of my heavy weighting in real estate, my net worth is only down about 10% YTD. I live in upstate NY where the home values still have not declined.

I bought about 5 grand worth of silver (SLV) under $10 this week for my Roth IRA... There are some deflationary pressures now, but long term inflation should be a lock with how our guv-ment is printing money. At that point, you should see precious metals soar. At these levels a 30-40% return in the next 18-24 months is a pretty sure bet.
If the market hits 6500 intraday or closes below 7000, I'll send you a $20. Seriously.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i'm down 38.5% on the year. i didn't get in until july, however, so i'm personally not down that much.

am i concerned? no. if the market (and my corresponding aggressive funds) haven't recovered by the time i retire then i have bigger things to worry about than 1s and 0s in an electronic account. until i'll pay less taxes by virtue of pre-tax contributions and will continue to live within my means.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
If this is true... it's frikkin' classic. :disgust1:

I'm starting to get a bit skeptical of what you're claiming. From the FDIC website:

When can I expect to receive my money?
Federal law requires the FDIC to make payments of insured deposits "as soon as possible" upon the failure of an insured institution. While every bank failure is unique, there are standard policies and procedures that the FDIC follows in making deposit insurance payments. It is the FDIC's goal to make deposit insurance payments within two business day of the failure of the insured institution.
What the government says they "plan" to do, and what they actually do are quite different. We all know this. :happydance:

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
If the market hits 6500 intraday or closes below 7000, I'll send you a $20. Seriously.
Ohhhh so close... ;)

I am actually seeing some positives after today that might signal some significant bottoming in here...
next week should be the tell... I exited my primary short positions today that I have held over the past couple months.

Hope everyone made it to this point ok...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
In response to the OP, I am down 80G since this mess started. But liek JBP said, its just on paper...so far.

Everyone I have talked to says by 3d quarter next year, things will be looking up. I havent sold any plasma or sperm yet. But I did volunteer to be a donor at the sperm bank.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
My 403B *was* six figures...now it's closer to zero. Meh, whatever...ups and downs, ups and downs. I've still got 30+ years of working ahead of me. It all evens out.