Quantcast

GMC Turbo Diesel FTW!

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I don't think I've laughed this hard in weeks.

A few days ago, my buddy's car got boxed in by a Volvo S40 and a Jetta that left him 4" of room. After swearing profusely, he decided to do the next best thing to get himself out, which is tow the offending vehicle out of his way. Given that the Volvo was also hanging into the crosswalk, he decided that the Volvo was the one who blocked him in.
He called one of the guys from the shop, who incidentally has a GMC 2500 Turbodiesel 4x4 (13,000# tow rating) for towing his wife's horse trailer. They hooked a tow strap up to the tow hook on the Volvo and the hitch of the GMC. James gave the thumbs up and Andy proceeded to drag the Volvo, tires squealing, out of the way.
Once it was clear, Andy got out of the truck laughing hysterically. Apparently, he had put the truck into 4-low, and when James gave the thumbs up, he took his foot off the brake and the truck, at IDLE, pulled the Volvo 4ft out of the way.:clapping: :shocked:

Needless to say, I have a HUGE respect for Chevy/GMC work trucks now (when used to tow/work not mommy wagon). Brian, I'm eating my words, two thumbs to the power of the American Truck (when used for work/towing)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'd like to see more diesels on passenger cars.
:stupid:

I looked at a diesel conversion for my truck, but it's expensive and involved. My wifes truck will be a diesel (bio) for sure though. I am converting to E85 next year when it becomes available in my area.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Did you know that the Duramaxx (the diesel engine in GM light duty trucks) is made by Isuzu?

I worked on the line that machines the duramax engine blocks. The plant is a cooperation between Isuzu and GM.

During the developement stage I was demonstrating a robot that moved the 300lb engine block from a machine to a washing station in front of a bunch of Isuzu employees. I pushed the wrong button and dropped the damn thing from about 6 feet in the air. Luckily no one was hurt from the flying piece of concrete that was chipped away from the floor.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Oh the HORROR!! Rednecks are sure to abandon GM in droves, now. :D
Just pointing out that GM couldn't made their own diesel that didn't die prematurely. So instead they went after the engineering at Isuzu to come up with one. What was it he said... "two thumbs to the power of the American Truck (when used for work/towing)".

Well the truck may be American, but the engineering of the power plant in that truck is Japanese. (Actaully its German since the fuel system is made by Bosch)

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
Yeah, my boss drives that same truck for landscaping, and we have two 2006 GMC 3500 (Dump bodies) with the 6.6 duramax in them for work as well.

Last summer we were digging an irrigation ditch and accidently got a '85 Chevy 6500 Dump truck stuck in wet mud. The 17,000lb 6500 had a full load of dirt/rock in the bed, and even with the use of the split shifter in 1st gear low, it couldn't get enough traction to make it out. We hooked some chains up to the rear of our 3500 and were able to pull it out of the mud without much trouble in 4wd low. I was really impressed with the power of that engine, not to mention how fun it is driving that down the highway without a load... those turbos spool up and it's a hell of a time.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I've dragged my buddy's Jeep that was in park, around at idle, in my 2wd Cummins powered Dodge Ram. We were trying to pull a stuck tongue from his hitch receiver.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I worked on the line that machines the duramax engine blocks. The plant is a cooperation between Isuzu and GM.

During the developement stage I was demonstrating a robot that moved the 300lb engine block from a machine to a washing station in front of a bunch of Isuzu employees. I pushed the wrong button and dropped the damn thing from about 6 feet in the air. Luckily no one was hurt from the flying piece of concrete that was chipped away from the floor.
I bet they were duly impressed:clapping:

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
I'd like to see more diesels on passenger cars.
I know they usually last longer because of the less violent combustion process and the lubrication properties of diesel fuel, but I was always under the impression that a diesel engine put out more soot than a gasoline engine of the same size.?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I bet they were duly impressed:clapping:
I used it to demonstrate the flexibility of the robot and programmed it to pick up the mess in a few seconds. They were actually impressed and unsure if it was an accident or one hell of a demonstration.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I know they usually last longer because of the less violent combustion process and the lubrication properties of diesel fuel, but I was always under the impression that a diesel engine put out more soot than a gasoline engine of the same size.?

That has always been an issue but newer technology had reduced diesel emmisions significantly.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Tundra TD out soon...
Toyota diesel trucks have been available all along everywhere but here. My dream truck is an '89 T100 club cab (4 door) diesel with factory snorkel kit. By far one of the most capable off road factory trucks ever produced.

<edit> Hilux, not T100

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
I love the sound of the cummins. not htat quiet cummin bs either. if I could fit that in my hyundai, I would. Ok, maybe I wouldnt, but it would be helluva hting to see.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
That has always been an issue but newer technology had reduced diesel emmisions significantly.
My understanding is that its not the engine, it's the fuel. i.e. we can make very clean diesel fuel and burn it cleanly, but there simply isn't enough supply of said clean diesel. Maybe I'm on crack, though.

Small diesel engines + cold weather doesn't exactly make a good combination, either. The brand new TDIs around here spew black smoke like there's no tomorrow when its cold. I'd probably still buy one if someone brought one over in a small pickup, though.

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
My understanding is that its not the engine, it's the fuel. i.e. we can make very clean diesel fuel and burn it cleanly, but there simply isn't enough supply of said clean diesel.
From what I know, the refinement needed to produce clean diesel takes an abundance of energy that ultimately comes from power plants spewing pollution, so the refinement still needs work to really make a vast improvement in total pollution output. (I'm not sure if that is entirely correct)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
it wasn't until i saw your duplicate thread on OT that i placed who you are, The Joker. :D

i r dum

renorider40

Monkey
Aug 22, 2005
I wish they made trucks and suv's for the us as capable as some of those in other countries stock from the factory. all the sissy people ruined the market. haha

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
My understanding is that its not the engine, it's the fuel. i.e. we can make very clean diesel fuel and burn it cleanly, but there simply isn't enough supply of said clean diesel. Maybe I'm on crack, though.
No, its the type of combustion.

Diesel engines are a difusion flame type of combustion unlike the premix flame of gasoline engines. The difusion flame process will always have higher soot emission versus the premix.

However difusion flames have lower CO and CO2 emissions yet higher NOx emissions. The real kicker is that gasoline engines can be run a stoichometirc fuel ratios, which allow exhaust aftertrement to clean up most all the emissons. Diesels run extremely lean and current aftertreatment technology is having trouble working effectively in a lean environment.

You can tune the engines along a NOx versus soot line. Less soot, but more NOx or less NOx more Soot. To also confuse things further throw in fuel economy and torque trade-offs. However CARB and EPA and made it difficult to put this technology in passenger cars by mandating the type of technology to be used instead of just regulating emission levels. They have pushed towards Lean NOx traps instead of following Europe towards SCR technology. Oh well.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
You are right sulfur emissions are related to the fuel and oil. However that is a whole other can of worms.
I thought the sulphur in the diesel was causing problems with the technologies being used/proposed to reduce NOx and soot emissions?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I thought the sulphur in the diesel was causing problems with the technologies being used/proposed to reduce NOx and soot emissions?
You are correct. Both soot reduction and NOx removal technologies are posioned over time by sulfur in the fuel. Hence the 2007 15ppm sulfur level regulations. However, sulfur was one of the main lubricity components in the fuel. Now that has been reduced from 500pmm to 15ppm you will be seeing long term fuel component wear issues. I've already had issues in my truck. O-rings in the fuel system are shrinking and causing fuel leaks in the Powerstrokes.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Speaking of can of worms, why don't you school everybody
on why biodiesel is total crap. I like watching hippies get upset.

Lubricity and uncontroled crap in the fuel. Yeah I want that in my $800 injector (thats $800 per injector). Biodiesel is a pipe dream on a large scale. Second Law Efficiency studies have shown it will cost more fuel to grow the feedstock than you can produce into fuel. For a small fleet or individual it isn't bad, but on a large scale it is just something to make hippies feel good. Just like how they think fuel cells are zero emissions.