Quantcast

Go-Pro chest cam mounting help - reducing shaking

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I got one of the Go-Pro cameras with the chest mount, did a few runs yesterday and it's pretty sick (sorry haven't uploaded em anywhere, my internet is dodgy as right now) but the main problem I'm having is how much it shakes up and down in the rough. I've got it mounted as General Lee suggested (http://ridemonkey.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3198229&postcount=25) and the angle and resolution etc are pretty good, but from watching the footage, it seems like the thing is able to move vertically too much (probably from the weight of the camera being out in front of the relatively small chest plate), there is a lot of bouncing in rough terrain, to the point where you can't really see much.

Anyone found any good ways to reduce this? I had the straps done up reasonably tight (not super tight though), maybe it's the manboobs that are bouncing too much - should I be running the straps REALLY tight? I've considered running the camera upside down from a shorter mount since it can flip the image automatically, but while that puts it a bit lower, I don't think it's actually any closer in to the chest plate or my body.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
I got one of the Go-Pro cameras with the chest mount, did a few runs yesterday and it's pretty sick (sorry haven't uploaded em anywhere, my internet is dodgy as right now) but the main problem I'm having is how much it shakes up and down in the rough. I've got it mounted as General Lee suggested (http://ridemonkey.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3198229&postcount=25) and the angle and resolution etc are pretty good, but from watching the footage, it seems like the thing is able to move vertically too much (probably from the weight of the camera being out in front of the relatively small chest plate), there is a lot of bouncing in rough terrain, to the point where you can't really see much.

Anyone found any good ways to reduce this? I had the straps done up reasonably tight (not super tight though), maybe it's the manboobs that are bouncing too much - should I be running the straps REALLY tight? I've considered running the camera upside down from a shorter mount since it can flip the image automatically, but while that puts it a bit lower, I don't think it's actually any closer in to the chest plate or my body.
i know lee runs his under the straps of a leatt brace so that helps a bit.

you really need to have the strps super tight... you could also try taping or mounting the stock chest plate to something a bit larger so there is a better platform up against your chest.

lee's runs pretty smooth Bromont May 16 on Vimeo

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler

you really need to have the strps super tight... you could also try taping or mounting the stock chest plate to something a bit larger so there is a better platform up against your chest.

lee's runs pretty smooth http://vimeo.com/4684056
Cheers mate, I'll give that a shot. That vid is way smoother than the ones I've got so far.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head

lee's runs pretty smooth

That really does look good

EDIT...... I want to ride there

Socket, have you run your video through a compression software yet? If not try that, it usually helps a bit too, even just windows movie maker helps quite a bit.

Last edited: