Quantcast

God I hate this state

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
I just found out I can't vote. In PA if you don't vote in an election thay take your name off the registration list (with out any notafacation) and you have to reregister. To top that off you have to register 30 days befor the election to get your name on a list. This sux so I can't vote. How is it leagal to take away your right to vote with out any kind of letter telling you thay are going to. Isen't that the most inportant right we have?????

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Not to get all politico n all, but right now there are approx. 2500 lawyers headed to Florida ready to file lawsuits over this election.

It's gonna get ugly.

J

JRB

Good thing the Liberty Bell broke and we don't use it anymore. Freedom ain't really ringing too loud in PA. I lost my card and called the registrar's office. I got a new one yesterday.

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
Pulser955, I think most states follow a guideline similar to that. Being that if you go through a Pres. year without voting your registration becomes inactive. Once you are inactive you have to reregister and you have to do so at least 30 days before the election. Sorry you will miss out, but atleast from here on in you are aware of it.

Loco, you're a different story, you were already active in the system so getting a new card is no big deal. If you had to register TX probably also has a 30 days out rule and you'd be S.O.L.???

J

JRB

zod said:
Loco, you're a different story, you were already active in the system so getting a new card is no big deal. If you had to register TX probably also has a 30 days out rule and you'd be S.O.L.???

Still a stupid rule though no??? They make is so phucking hard for some peeps to vote that many just say phuck. To me, that is sad.

J

JRB

You're right Zod -

How to register to vote
Register with the Department of Public Safety when applying for or making changes to a driver’s license;
Register in person at the county Voter Registrar’s Office. (In most Texas counties, the Tax Assessor-Collector is also the Voter Registrar. In some counties, the County Clerk or Elections Administrator registers voters); or
Register by mail. You may obtain an application from the county Voter Registrar’s Office, the Secretary of State’s Office, libraries, many post offices, high schools and on the web at http://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/voter/reqvr.shtml.
Read the instructions on the form, fill it out and mail it, postage-free, to the Voter Registrar in your county; or take it to the Voter Registrar’s Office in your county.
You must be at least 17 years and 10 months of age on the date you apply.
With your permission, your spouse, parent or child may fill out and sign an application for you if that person is a registered voter or has applied for voter registration. This person is known as your "agent."
The application must be received in the voter registrar’s office or postmarked 30 days before an election for you to be eligible to vote in that election.

If you move to another county, you can be screwed too unless you find the right peeps to help -

If you move to another county

You must reregister! Fill out a new application and mail it, or take it in person, to the Voter Registrar of your new county. You will be registered 30 days after your application is submitted. You will receive a new certificate.

If your registration in the new county is not yet effective, you may be able to vote a "limited" ballot in your new county of residence on candidates or issues common between your old and new county. You may vote this "limited" ballot after moving and only during early voting by personal appearance (not Election Day) or by mail, if:
you were registered to vote in your former county at the time you moved; and
and your registration in your new county is not effective.

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
They need processing/verification time.......... I don't think 30 days is much to ask. If they'd just tie voter registration to your drivers license / state ID everything would move a lot smoother, but too many conspiracy types have something against that idea???

Hope this isn't geeting too political for the lounge....

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
zod said:
They need processing/verification time.......... I don't think 30 days is much to ask. If they'd just tie voter registration to your drivers license / state ID everything would move a lot smoother, but too many conspiracy types have something against that idea???

Hope this isn't geeting too political for the lounge....

So then why is it in some states you can register and vote in the same day????

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Maybe you could only miss the spelling on so many words on the registration application? Juuuuuuuuuust kidding...surprised I'm the first.

Oh...sorry didn't see your signature...maybe that's why no one said anything...I too, am often mistaken for being serious, when if people had just read my signature, they would know I'm being sassy...

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
In VA, you have to register 29 days before election day. I think this is plenty fair, they need time to process it.

I disagree with tying voting to drivers licenses. My license is registered back home at my permanent address, and I just changed my voting address to here at school. I dont want to change my official permanent address, but did want to vote here. My GF is registered to vote, but doesnt have a license.........