Quantcast

Goggle tear offs

NORTON

Chimp
Mar 3, 2005
Littleton CO
when your goggles get muddy, you can yank off the top layer and have a clear field of view again. Then you throw the old one on the ground so environmentalists can pitch a fit and get that trail closed to bikers. At least, that's how they seem to work around here:) Really for racing only IMHO, otherwise you have time to stop and wipe your goggs manually.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
I put one on at the begining of the day, continue wiping the tearoff off, and then take it off at the end of the day and voila!, a clean, unscratched lense

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
from what little moto experiance i have its for mud, so you dont have to wipe em down. i suppose it would make sence for dh as well.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I used them in Big Bear, where the dust was really bad. Other than that, I mainly used them to keep my goggles from getting scratched up...

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
They're great for really muddy conditions i.e. DH at Snowshoe when it's wet there. I use Oakleys. (Thanks, Oakley!) One minute you have mud and water streaking your vision, the next, clear vision! Put five or less tear-offs on at a time... each one can warp your vision slightly.

descender

Chimp
May 6, 2003
San Francisco
Even though I rarely ride in mud, I am going to give these a shot primarily to protect my lenses. I always scratch my lenses within 5 seconds of putting on a new pair of goggles.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
For Dust a stripe of Vaseline across the bottom inside of my Lens has always helped. The dust sticks to it instead of the rest of the lens...

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
SuspectDevice said:
For Dust a stripe of Vaseline across the bottom inside of my Lens has always helped. The dust sticks to it instead of the rest of the lens...
That's gross...... but effective. I would think that dampening the foam vents (with water) would help as well.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
does anyone have problems with pulling one tear off at a time? i fear that i would just pull all of them off. and do they work both ways, ie the part that you hold on the left or right?

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
dromond said:
That's gross...... but effective. I would think that dampening the foam vents (with water) would help as well.
yeah, it gets a little nasty....but you've just gotta make sure not to use globs. Just another great trick thanks to motocross. You "seldom" need to take this drastic measure w/ MTB. (now don't bark at me.... yes there have been certain cases where it gets truly dusty...but that's not the norm)

However you've also gotta look at MX vs DH. Outdoor MX typically goes for what....30 min plus 2 laps? that's a hell of a lot longer than a long 5min dh run. A lot of these tricks (vasaline, etc) are done because the rider is out there for long periods of time.

As for soaking the foam in water.....i wouldn't really reccomend it. simply because you don't want it dripping in your eye. Just like sweat, saturated water becomes a pain dripping in your eyes & down your face.....gets on your lenses & screws your vision. that's why they use vasaline...it doesn't "splash" around

Anyway, back to tear offs. for the most part, most goggles hold up to 5 tear offs....you can sometimes squeeze in a few more...but it's not really suggested. your typical tear off is pretty thick & each layer added does distort your vision...so be careful.

Each person is different, but for my riders, i'll usually have an extra set of goggles w/ no more than 2-3 tear offs for the race run. Realistically, you won’t have a chance to pull a tear off more than 2-3 times on a 3 min dh run. So it’s better to have clearer vision, than more tear offs. When, in practice, you’re doing lap after lap, it’s not a bad idea to run 5 tear offs. However this is only when conditions are severe.

just remember to take it easy when you first use tear offs. Slightly distorted vision & not being used to pulling the tear-off off while riding can be tricky at times!