Quantcast

Goggles that go over Glasses

Jan 12, 2005
Lancashire (U.K)
Does anyone know of any goggles that fit over the top of glasses?

Iv found some Oakley ones on Ebay but there a 'bit old school' in shape.

I use some Smith ones for snowboarding that are designed to fit over glasses but its not possible to get a clear lens for them.

I dont want use perscription style goggles as it means either walking round all day wearing them or carrying my normal glasses with me as well.

Cheers

Kyle

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
I've used the Spy's for years.

They work well, I pull out the foam up top to increase the air flow to keep down on foggage.

-ska todd

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I could never find a combination that I was comfortable with. I got lasik and its one of the best things that I have ever done. Now I see 20-15 day or night with no glasses at all.

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
carbuncle said:
Did that hurt? Was it full anesthesia?
Nope, no pain at all, they give you numbing drops in your eyes. I did it sans any of the pill based painkillers/ valiums they offered, but I have a kind of freakishly high pain tolerance, so that doesn't mean a lot. The ride home from the procedure was in my buddy's Mazda with a pretty stiff suspension. I was in agony. After about 2 hours I was fine. I probably should have just laid down with my eyes closed for a while. 5 hours after the operation I was eating Chinese food at home with my eyes open and seeing great. A week later I saw the stars and the Milky Way for the first time with my own eyes. It was real cool.

On the bike, I can see things in corners that I never could before. I can focus so much more quickly on objects close, then far away. I have no idea how I rode my bike before I had the surgery, I can see so much more and so much better now it is incredible.

Dave

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
I used to use goggles over glasses, but didn't like how it felt. So, I got contacts for riding....been thinking about the lasik thing though, cause I can use contacts only for a few hours before it bugs the crap out of me.

sn0wboarder

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
NJ
Honestly, invest in some contact lenses. I used to ride in my glasses, and looking back now, I don't know what I was thinking. Since I don't wear my contacts everyday, mainly during the weekends when I'm out snowboarding and biking, a pack of 6 lasts me throughout the year. But that can be different for you as my doctor told me I can wear them for a month.

F.O.G

Monkey
Feb 8, 2005
Monterey, CA
MY brother in law used a pair of Scotts with a small pair of glasses that mounted to the nose bridge of the goggles. He said they worked fine and didn't have a problem with fogging because there wasn't any openings in the foam seal on the face for ear stems. Check with Scott if they still make them, he used them for Moto.

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
I've had surprisingly good luck with the Rockgardn Luxe (sp?) goggles. I just got them for about $10 from Cambria with another order on a whim just to see if they would work with my glasses and they have done pretty well, except for the fogging up. Oh well, I guess you can't expect the best ventilation from a $10 set of goggles.

art vandelay

Chimp
Aug 28, 2004
Golden, CO
smith goggles with the fan in them are great. Everyone I know who needs glasses for skiing uses them. The fan keeps the goggles and glasses fog free. I'm not sure what the lenses selection is like so they might not be a great pick for biking, but they might have some options.

edit- looks like the knowledge OTG might be a nice option.

edit2 - sporteyes.com and many other sites have clear lenses for them.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i have been using the regular oakley mx goggles (the bubba camo ones from a few years back). they fit over my glasses just fine. i am using small frames though. i have the nike Tiger Woods model. they are flex-metal and have polycarb lenses. it is a great combo.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
mandown said:
i have been using the regular oakley mx goggles (the bubba camo ones from a few years back). they fit over my glasses just fine. i am using small frames though. i have the nike Tiger Woods model. they are flex-metal and have polycarb lenses. it is a great combo.
funny...I just got some Flexon Nike glasses as well and none of my Oakley goggles fit over them - including the new crowbars.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Acadian said:
funny...I just got some Flexon Nike glasses as well and none of my Oakley goggles fit over them - including the new crowbars.
i just had an eye exam and i looked at some of the new nike flexon stuff. the frames i saw were a slight bit bigger than the ones i have now. mine barely fit in the goggle. the finish on the frames has been worn down to the bare metal on the top and bottom from rubbing the goggles. nike might still make some small frames, but i could not tell you what model they are.

Jan 12, 2005
Lancashire (U.K)
art vandelay said:
smith goggles with the fan in them are great. Everyone I know who needs glasses for skiing uses them. The fan keeps the goggles and glasses fog free. I'm not sure what the lenses selection is like so they might not be a great pick for biking, but they might have some options.

edit- looks like the knowledge OTG might be a nice option.

edit2 - sporteyes.com and many other sites have clear lenses for them.

A mate has some of those Smith turbofan goggles-brilliant for snow sports but the trouble is you cant buy clear lens for them. I currently have some Smith OTG goggles which are a perfect fit and hardly fog but again I cant get a clear lens for them.

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
dw said:
Nope, no pain at all, they give you numbing drops in your eyes. I did it sans any of the pill based painkillers/ valiums they offered, but I have a kind of freakishly high pain tolerance, so that doesn't mean a lot. The ride home from the procedure was in my buddy's Mazda with a pretty stiff suspension. I was in agony. After about 2 hours I was fine. I probably should have just laid down with my eyes closed for a while. 5 hours after the operation I was eating Chinese food at home with my eyes open and seeing great. A week later I saw the stars and the Milky Way for the first time with my own eyes. It was real cool.

On the bike, I can see things in corners that I never could before. I can focus so much more quickly on objects close, then far away. I have no idea how I rode my bike before I had the surgery, I can see so much more and so much better now it is incredible.

Dave

Hey, thanks for the frank reply. I just may have to look into that, I can't take contacts and the glasses are a bummer for downhilling.

-Trace

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
dw said:

Dave
So I'm just wondering if anyone here knows what the minimum age is for the eye surgery these days. I remember it used to be around 25-26, but the process is constantly improving from what I hear.