Quantcast

Going from 27.5 to 29...DH bike

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Contemplating either selling off what I have now and picking up a 29er DH bike locally, or sticking with 27.5 for another year by just upgrading frames.

Last season was a bust so I'm gonna make an honest effort to drag my ass up to Whistler on a regular basis this season. My Megatower is 29" and I love it, but it's also the bike I use much more. Even if I do get a new DH bike, it won't be used as much as the MT - I know that for a fact.

So I'm looking at going to a 2018 V10 (XL) frame, swapping my parts over as best as possible, or simply going with a complete 2019 Supreme 29 (L).

I guess I'm just looking at opinions.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Just built up these

_20200313_233523.JPG

I'm a pretty die hard #264LYF kinda guy.. But I totally would.

Why 2019?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Just built up these

View attachment 141969

I'm a pretty die hard #264LYF kinda guy.. But I totally would.

Why 2019?
I wonder what the new swingarm and front shock mount setup does to the suspension...unless it's just a new look.

Why 2019? Just because of cost vs getting a 2020.

You forget how to ride or something?
Was that for me?? Man, at the rate I'm able to go riding now, I feel like I'm re-learning every time.

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
I'd go commencal + mullet it seems to be the way bikes are going these days. These things for sure have to be one of the most popular DH bikes in recent times, they're fucken everywhere.

marketing says 2020 commencal's supposed to have geo changes for more front end grip, so less slack and shorter, stiffer swingarm and suspension changes for better pedalling and support. Sounds like they made it a bit better all rounder.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Completely changing bikes is making more and more sense. I'll probably end up going that way.

Speaking of Whistler... I'm hoping they (and other bike parks) open in light of this covid-19 garbage.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Completely changing bikes is making more and more sense. I'll probably end up going that way.

Speaking of Whistler... I'm hoping they (and other bike parks) open in light of this covid-19 garbage.

They heard you bought a 29er

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
And here's the other thing... I'm 216 lbs and this Commencal I'm looking at has a Boxxer. I wonder if the extra length of the fork and extra offset will make it feel like it's binding - as per a Pinkbike review of the Norco HSP.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
And here's the other thing... I'm 216 lbs and this Commencal I'm looking at has a Boxxer. I wonder if the extra length of the fork and extra offset will make it feel like it's binding - as per a Pinkbike review of the Norco HSP.
If I was a betting man I'd bet the house Amaury Pierron's world cup winning setup would not hold back any ridemonkey member from the same level of performance he would get from a shorter offset 27.5 or 26 inch fork?
The fact that the fastest racers in the world run these forks, but they somehow hinder the performance/riding experience for the average Joe's of the world is beyond laughable.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If I was a betting man I'd bet the house Amaury Pierron's world cup winning setup would not hold back any ridemonkey member from the same level of performance he would get from a shorter offset 27.5 or 26 inch fork?
The fact that the fastest racers in the world run these forks, but they somehow hinder the performance/riding experience for the average Joe's of the world is beyond laughable.
Pierron isn't 80lbs overweight

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Good point. I'm a hack rider. I suppose I won't feel anything out of the ordinary since I'm dead slow compared to these guys... although how many are over 200lbs. They're all skinny-girlie men.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Good point. I'm a hack rider. I suppose I won't feel anything out of the ordinary since I'm dead slow compared to these guys... although how many are over 200lbs. They're all skinny-girlie men.
We need Rennie back. Although I think he set back the development of sub -20kg DH bike by 5 years.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
But to think you can build a bike that performs better than the top WC bikes is moronic.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
But to think you can build a bike that performs better than the top WC bikes is moronic.

Careful now. I'm working at home right now. I WILL dig up close to a hundred posts I've made suggesting something be made a certain way that is now standard, with all the industry fellating racer boy dorks saying the same thing you're saying right now. Ask me about geometry. I dare you. I've been posting on this shit site for that long I'm I'm petty. :D

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm working at home right now fucker. I WILL dig up close to a hundred posts I've made suggesting something be made a certain way that is now standard, with all the industry fellating racer boy dorks saying the same thing you're saying right now. Ask me about geometry. I dare you. I've been posting on this shit site for that long I'm I'm petty. :D

Sing us the song of your people

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Careful now. I'm working at home right now. I WILL dig up close to a hundred posts I've made suggesting something be made a certain way that is now standard, with all the industry fellating racer boy dorks saying the same thing you're saying right now. Ask me about geometry. I dare you. I've been posting on this shit site for that long I'm I'm petty. :D
Not saying you are not knowledgeable and wasn't an attack,
IMO the pros ride they best equipment currently available and a random ridemonkey poster does not need a more capable rig than Amoury Pierron.

Its like if somebody said I'm questioning whether Eli Tomac's race Bike would be sufficient for my riding capabilities?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If you think Pierron (or whoever) wouldn't change a thing about their bike setup in absence of sponsor obligations, you're delusional. And you don't need to be at that level to notice differences.

The top racers go fast as fuck on the stuff they're paid to ride because they're absurdly talented. And, yes, their equipment is tuned and maintained exceptionally well. But the idea that lesser riders can't glean some advantage from better parts because the best in the world still manage to go fast on other stuff is insane.

Not to mention that personal preferences and riding style factor in here too. There's no single objective "best" for every rider out there.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Its like if somebody said I'm questioning whether Eli Tomac's race Bike would be sufficient for my riding capabilities?
It probably isn't considering it gets a full teardown every weekend. Like WC race bikes they're pretty much setup to perform really well.......... once..........then get an overhaul.

I'll use rims as an example. A while back, lots of WC teams were (probably still are) using what are essentially trailbike rims on race bikes. The caveat being they're going through 3-4 wheelsets per race week. In that case no, they're not sufficient for your or my use because they fail in a short timeframe, even though they can get a fast person through one or two fast runs.

So that's still an avenue that can be improved, even though 'stronger and lighter' is a progression that never stops.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If you think Pierron (or whoever) wouldn't change a thing about their bike setup in absence of sponsor obligations, you're delusional. And you don't need to be at that level to notice differences.

The top racers go fast as fuck on the stuff they're paid to ride because they're absurdly talented. And, yes, their equipment is tuned and maintained exceptionally well. But the idea that lesser riders can't glean some advantage from better parts because the best in the world still manage to go fast on other stuff is insane.

Not to mention that personal preferences and riding style factor in here too. There's no single objective "best" for every rider out there.
I am guessing an average joe would find the setup of a similarly sized pro to be nearly unrideable.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I am guessing an average joe would find the setup of a similarly sized pro to be nearly unrideable.

turman isn't really your average joe though. He's much slower