Quantcast

Going to Boston, need some advice...

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Hey guys,

I am going to be in Boston for a few days on just a vacation. I'm in Vermont (not riding.......visiting family) in April but wanted to start looking now for things to do in Boston. It's sort of a "mini-trip".

We'd like to stay somewhere near where maybe the nightlife is, but old town Boston. I live close enough to big cities that they don't really wow me, but being from socal seeing the older parts of Boston would be cool. Just curious if anyone has Hotel ideas OR a decent district to stay in if we find a hotel? We aren't artsy fartsy type people (lol 24/25 year olds) so things to do and see would be great.

Also any great places to eat that you guys from the east would suggest? Things to see and do? We'd almost be tempted to get baseball tickets or something just because it's hard to not go all that way and not see a game. Just things to do and see basicly LOL...

Let me know! I have everything booked but hotels and such in Boston. We're only there for 2-3 nights but would like to try and make the most of it. Cali-boston is a loooonnnngggg way.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
you mention baseball, so i gather you are not coming next week or so.

hotels in boston are expensive. be forewarned.

personally, i would stay away from the hellhole known as faneiul hall.

i would look to stay near copley sq somewhere, and then there's plenty of stuff w/in walking distance, plus the T is right there and you can get to cambridge/etc very easily.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
If you're looking to stay in a B&B, I stayed in a great one last Feb. and I'm hoping to stay there again this year. PM me for info.

toby

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
lets see...

science museum and aquarium are always fun (gotta jump for whatever's playing at the omni theater), a redsox game if you can afford/acquire it (buy the tickets ASAP). if you're planning on being here during the spring/summer, just walking around some of the older parts of the city is really wonderful, especially the north end/little italy (haymarket stop on the green line, then walk over 90/construction to hanover street) on a friday or saturday night because there's generally a festival going on or something. anywhere in the north end is a good place to eat. if you consider yourself more of a brew/pub person, head over to sunset bar in allston...amazing food plus 120ish beers on tap and 450ish bottled (also on the green line i believe).

not really to savy on places to stay, so i'll let other people lead you on that one...

enjoy

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
for my $, i think the South End has better restaurants at better prices. i'm biased, because i lived there for several years.

check out the mother church (christian science), it's a neat building. there are some good record shops i can steer you to.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
(mudgrrl)

don't drive here....

it's like they've got their own little world...

a world where drivers don't need signs....

a world where there aren't any lanes painted.....

a world where they like to put you in a turn lane if there is suddenly a lane....without warning

a world where drivers seem to be on NYQUIL....all the time... they just pull out in front of you ....

Oh, yeah, have fun!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Friday evening hit harvard square ( I assume bands still play at the T stop), at least for a little while. Great freak show with all the young punks/skins, crazy people (no - literally), and yuppie hahvad kids...

And later in the evening (11 to midnight-ish) you may see a group of supermodified bicycles roll past.

At least that's how it used to be...

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
Where will you be in VT?
Probably around the Barre area. Both my mom and dad were born and rasied back there (hence all their families are back there) but they were the only smart ones to migrate to southern california. I use to get dragged back there every summer with my mom but my dad hasn't been back there since the early early 80's. So he figured it's time to go back and check things out/see relatives that he hasn't seen in 2 decades. It's just me and my girlfriend & dad going.....so he'll stay in VT while we go explore things in Boston hopefully.

The girlfriend and I just want to explore a little bit. We really wanted to go to New York City but that's a long drive from VT plus we're gone for 9 days and even in New York I don't think 9 days is enough time to go and do everything and see everything that you want to do. It's just too big of a busy city. We were hoping that Boston for as large as it is......had a more scaled down version vs. the giant busy city (like LA/San Fran etc...)

Thanks for the hints and tips guys! I'll have to read up on some of these places and things to do :)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
boston really is a good walking city. LA is just *way* too sprawled out for my tastes. you can't beat manhattan, but there are certainly plenty of things to see/eat/drink/do in boston.

what time of the year will you be out here?

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
boston really is a good walking city. LA is just *way* too sprawled out for my tastes. you can't beat manhattan, but there are certainly plenty of things to see/eat/drink/do in boston.

what time of the year will you be out here?
We're leaving here the last Thurs in March and comming back the first Sunday in April. Boston is on our agenda for 2-3 nights depending on what we can find (as far as hotel deals). We aren't rich, but have some coin to spend if need be to stay someplace where we can enjoy things.

I know it'll probably be cold. I imagine the winter is gonna be retarded this year. It sure is here so I can only guess back there it's gonna have a late start.