Quantcast

Going to moab tomorrow.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Yep, getting out of the denim life i lead, and heading to moab for a week of riding/drinking good beer. Couple buddies of mine are running the marathon on saturday out there, so i am going to take some shots of them suffering in the desert.

I put the bike in the travel case for the first time last night and damn is that thing nice....

This is my second trip to moab, does anyone have any "musts" while im there...I have ridden porcupine rim and slickrock and plan to ride both again this time. What about the portal and soveirgn trails? Im sorta torn over what tires to bring...lets talk everyone...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Yep, getting out of the denim life i lead, and heading to moab for a week of riding/drinking good beer. <snip>
So you must be bringing your own beer with you? :think:

This is my second trip to moab, does anyone have any "musts" while im there...I have ridden porcupine rim and slickrock and plan to ride both again this time. What about the portal and soveirgn trails? Im sorta torn over what tires to bring...lets talk everyone...
Do Amasa Back. That is a classic which I almost *always* hit when I'm out there. If you want to play, be sure to hit up Bartlett Wash NW of town. For a bit more seclusion, you might check out Tusher Canyon just north of there.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
SkaredShtles said:
So you must be bringing your own beer with you? :think:

Do Amasa Back. That is a classic which I almost *always* hit when I'm out there. If you want to play, be sure to hit up Bartlett Wash NW of town. For a bit more seclusion, you might check out Tusher Canyon just north of there.
Yeah that 3.2 crap sucks...Im sure we are gonna find something though...

I have heard Amasa Back is a good ride, where is that?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I'm really debating on tires right now...i think i am currently running a 2.3 minion super tacky on the front, and a 2.1 zmax on the back of my soveirgn. I am thinking i should run a light weight 2.3 on the back though...any thoughts? What is the dirt like right now?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
manhattanprjkt83 said:
I'm really debating on tires right now...i think i am currently running a 2.3 minion super tacky on the front, and a 2.1 zmax on the back of my soveirgn. I am thinking i should run a light weight 2.3 on the back though...any thoughts? What is the dirt like right now?
You'll be fine. I've ridden 1.9-2.1 Zmax'es in Moab for the last ~13 years. Almost any tire works just fine in Moab. As long as you're careful in the rocks. :D

manhattanprjkt83 said:
Pinch flat city. Run a heavy casing on the back - especially on a HT - unless you enjoy changing flats regularly.

Something with broader, flatter knobs has always worked butter for me in Moab. Blue Groove would be good. A personal favorite has been IRC Kujos: cheap, good sidewalls, and I can tear them to shreds on the slickrock and not get bummed about smoking an expensive tire. YMMV.

Have fun! Stop at a state liquor store to get >3.2 liquid fun. :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
don't bring SUPER TACKY tires unless you like throwing away money. any decent tire (even fairly worn) will be good. i'd look for a 2.2" or larger.

amasa back is a good ride, w/ great views. i also highly recommend getting out to Bartlett Wash. it's better than slickrock (though not quite the same spectacular views), isn't swarming w/ n00bs, and doesn't have a white brick road to follow.

that said, scope out lines before committing to stuff; you could snuff it pretty easily w/ a wrong decision.

have fun and bring lots of pictures back.

oh, flat pass is a good warmup ride too. the stuff in the La Sals is great, but will likely be under snow still.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
We will just miss each other, I'll be there the weekend of the 7-9th. Definitely to Sovereign. As for tires, run at least 2.3 they do better in the sand than narrower tires.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Thanks for all the advice guys i run a 2.2/2.1 combo on my soveirgn trailbike here in the woods of PA because it is such a lite nimble set up...I want to run some more cush on all that rock/sand...Last time i was there on an ASX and had a blast, im hoping my 36 talas is just as fun :evil:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
narlus said:
don't bring SUPER TACKY tires unless you like throwing away money. any decent tire (even fairly worn) will be good. i'd look for a 2.2" or larger.
Yeah i really dont care about running the super tacky down, its brand new and i only ride it on greasy east coast terrain (snowshoe) anyway...

I am more concerned with getting good traction and having fun...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Yeah i really dont care about running the super tacky down, its brand new and i only ride it on greasy east coast terrain (snowshoe) anyway...

I am more concerned with getting good traction and having fun...
you can get good traction w/ any tire (if you are talking slickrock, not much is gonna help w/ the pebbles/ball bearings stuff)...in fact, the harder the durometer is probably better, so you don't rip knobs off.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
you can get good traction w/ any tire (if you are talking slickrock, not much is gonna help w/ the pebbles/ball bearings stuff)...in fact, the harder the durometer is probably better, so you don't rip knobs off.
:stupid: On the sandstone any tire will work. In the sand, it's hell no matter what you do. :D

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
narlus said:
that is what i was thinking abou the super tacky, it may mash down in the rock and not steer as well...I guess there are 2 schools of thought.

1. The sticky rubber will stick to rocks better

2. the stick rubber will not hold its form that well...

I think i am going to go with some 2.3 hard durometer bontrager tires off of my bro's session.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
manhattanprjkt83 said:
This is my second trip to moab, does anyone have any "musts" while im there...
The local's stash that isn't on any maps...

Seriously though, Amasa is a good recommendation since you ahven't doen it. Don't go back down the jeep road though. You can either ride Rockstacker (known route now) or the Amasa singletrack back down. When you reach the pipeline on the way back down, head East (or check at Poison Spider for directions).

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
manhattanprjkt83 said:
1. The sticky rubber will stick to rocks better

2. the stick rubber will not hold its form that well...
3. The sticky rubber will stick so well that you'll be tearing knobs off.

That's my experience with Kendas.

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
Another thing you may want to consider is using wax based lube for your chain. Tri-flow and the like will cause the sand to stick and make for a very noisy ride.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
narlus said:
JSG, that's a cool pic, and definitely a 'do-or-die' climb...not many good bailing options at the point he is at.
hahah i never heard the term "do or die climb"...Usually its the otherway around...

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
narlus said:
JSG, that's a cool pic, and definitely a 'do-or-die' climb...not many good bailing options at the point he is at.
Can't take credit for the pic, I was in front of the lens for once and yes it was a fun move. The crux was just past the point at which the picture was taken when the rear wheel drops into the notch.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
narlus said:
To answer your question more effectively:

The wider the better, period. The best tire for the area is a 2.7 with a soft durometer. Sticks better to the rock, and will allow you cruise through sand easier.

The less knobs the better off you'll be for slickrock. The Hookworm is the bomb on slickrock.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
SkaredShtles said:
:stupid: On the sandstone any tire will work. In the sand, it's hell no matter what you do. :D
:stupid: Haa haa haa... you're the one that has a skinny tire inflated to 120 lbs! Any tire will work, but knobby tires are generally less effective. The wider the tire in sand, the better.

One of the locals says (wide and soft compound).

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Ascentrek said:
To answer your question more effectively:

The wider the better, period. The best tire for the area is a 2.7 with a soft durometer. Sticks better to the rock, and will allow you cruise through sand easier.

The less knobs the better off you'll be for slickrock. The Hookworm is the bomb on slickrock.
I Dunno about all that, the hookworm is a hard durometer, maxxis should make a "slickrock" edition hookworm or holy roller that is a 40, it would only last you 2 rides but you would have traction for DAYZ>....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Ascentrek said:
:<snip> Any tire will work, but knobby tires are generally less effective. The wider the tire in sand, the better.
The key to riding slickrock is to commit to the move. Tires will maintain grip even on stupid inclines, if you've got enough cajones to commit.

The worst injuries I've seen on slickrock were results of people freaking out and bailing. :D

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
SkaredShtles said:
The worst injuries I've seen on slickrock were results of people freaking out and bailing. :D
OR WALKING! your tires are much better than shoes, unless they're climbing shoes. Cleats don't do well either.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
SkaredShtles said:
The key to riding slickrock is to commit to the move. Tires will maintain grip even on stupid inclines, if you've got enough cajones to commit.

He wont have any probs committing to slickrock... there are some pretty sketchy steeps with drops and tons of roots in some of the local parks... he likes taking unsuspecting people on said trails for their first time during night rides:rolleyes: He just bombs them and then looks back to watch the carnage unfold behind...:dead:

I swear I took the right line I just got a huge pile of leaves stuck in my rear tire which cause me to loose breaking traction!!!

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Sov is good. And just as JSG said, if you do Amasa, take Rockstacker/the singletrack back down. Way more fun than the normal down route. Anything off the map that you can get a local to show you will/should be good.

A beefy tire in the 2.3-2.5" variety is my fav for out there. Preferably the beefier in the back for pinch protection, especially when on the hardtail. No super sticky tires needed. I like a fairly standard big knobby pattern. Works fine in the sand and rock stuff, loose or not.

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Go to Arches. No biking but worth the visit. While we were down there the only trail we rode was Soverign and it was a lot of fun. All singletrack and a lot of down. Porcupine Rim was too snowy when we were down, but I dont think you will have that problem. Have fun and post up the pictures.