Quantcast

gold rims

nickaziz

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
Does anyone know of any good gold colored rims available? Or can anyone think of a good place to get a set of new arrow dhx's painted or anodized?

Norco is using an Alex rim, but ive heard its a pretty light duty item, and i dont see gold available aftermarket option either.

mmm.... gold rims....

BigHit-Maniac

Monkey
Jul 5, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Gold rims are sex.

Excel's been making em for Moto's for a loooooong time now.

I'm assuming that if your current hoops are aluminum, you could just tear down your wheelset... and have the hoops ano'd gold. It probably wouldn't cost too much, considering the amount of metal to be ano'd isn't that great. You could probably call up local metal-working places, and such and ask around.

You might want to also considering having them powder-coated gold. Ano scratches rather easy in comparison to powder-coating. A good heavy-duty gold powder-coating would probably keep it's deep luster for a LONG time, and be well worth your money.

Hope that helps!

-Matt

nickaziz

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
Can you achieve the same sort of gold with powder as you can with ano? I've never seen a gold powdercoat before

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
unrealcycles.com once had gold halo rims. i checked the website and cannot find them today. send an email and see if they can give you any help.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
nickaziz said:
Can you achieve the same sort of gold with powder as you can with ano? I've never seen a gold powdercoat before

NO, metallic powder can look decent but in no way does it resemble they sparkle of gold ano.

Tearing down the wheels is a dumb idea. Rebuilding wheels with used spokes and rims is a bad idea in itself.

Call unreal cycles and buy some gold halos.

Personally, form follows function. Pick a strong light rim and then figure out colors

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
make sure you get the welded halo rims, and not the pinned. they are ****e... a friend of mine had a pair, the pinned surface gave way and showed a scary "crack" or whatever you wanna call it.

should say the guy is quite heavy and rides hard, but still a pinned rim is never better than a welded rim.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Talk to Scott Stuart at his shop 425-334-7812

Bike Works of Lake Stevens
2010 Grade Road
Lake Stevens, WA 98258

He has built up some of the Halo Gold rims. His son and one of his team riders uses/used them. He can give you an idea of how they perform and he build wheels like no ones business. Like crazy numbers of wheel sets. Give him a call.

He built up some white Halo Combat rims for me and they have not given me any trouble. But I haven't really put them through a ton of stuff.....cause I suck....:D But I am fat and will work over a week wheel in short time.

Rhino

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
buildyourown said:
NO, metallic powder can look decent but in no way does it resemble they sparkle of gold ano.
Hate to interrupt, but gold ano doesn't really sparkle, but it shouldn't be very hard to find a powdercoater who can do metalflake paint. With a heavy metalflake under a gold clearcoat you should be able to get some serious metallic out of any set of rims. However, Excels are anodized, so if you're looking for something to compliment your red Hadley hubs (with laser-etched "4" a la RC), you'll probably want to go ano with the rims.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Why on earth would you want gold rims? How dare you get another color than black.?!!?

i think this would work :monkey:

nickaziz

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
lol I need a complete rear wheel and a front rim anyway, so I might as well get them in the color I want to begin with. :)

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
James | Go-Ride said:
Hate to interrupt, but gold ano doesn't really sparkle, but it shouldn't be very hard to find a powdercoater who can do metalflake paint. With a heavy metalflake under a gold clearcoat you should be able to get some serious metallic out of any set of rims. However, Excels are anodized, so if you're looking for something to compliment your red Hadley hubs (with laser-etched "4" a la RC), you'll probably want to go ano with the rims.

The "metallic" from ano comes from the aluminum itself. The metallic in powder comes from flakes of sparkly crap in the powder.

Kinda like silver polish and silver powder. The powder just looks cheesy next to the real thing IMO.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
buildyourown said:
The "metallic" from ano comes from the aluminum itself. The metallic in powder comes from flakes of sparkly crap in the powder.

Kinda like silver polish and silver powder. The powder just looks cheesy next to the real thing IMO.
If you think bass fishing boats are cheesy, I suppose you're right.

So, yes, you're right.

BigHit-Maniac

Monkey
Jul 5, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Well, if the aluminum is polished to a really shiny finish before it is powdercoated... they don't havet to use sparkles in the powder.

Doesn't anyone remember the Black Widow bike that was on American Chopper?

They used heavily polished chrome rims, then powdercoated them red.

Why couldn't the same thing be done... just with gold?

:blah:

It'd be shiny, & durable.

I must admit, I DO love the look of Ano.... I only mentioned powdercoat because it's so damned durable... and rims get pretty banged up from rock gardens, and everything else.

-Matt

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
BigHit-Maniac said:
Well, if the aluminum is polished to a really shiny finish before it is powdercoated... they don't havet to use sparkles in the powder.

Doesn't anyone remember the Black Widow bike that was on American Chopper?

They used heavily polished chrome rims, then powdercoated them red.

Why couldn't the same thing be done... just with gold?

:blah:

It'd be shiny, & durable.

I must admit, I DO love the look of Ano.... I only mentioned powdercoat because it's so damned durable... and rims get pretty banged up from rock gardens, and everything else.

-Matt

Good ano is more durable than powder.
In order to get the metal to shine through, you have to use transparent powder. This is usually going to be a custom mix which is $$$$.
I had a trans gold Super 8 and it was bling

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I just sent my Rhyno Lites in for a white powder coat job. Can't wait to get 'em built back up. Gonna look sweet on the white Bullit. When it comes to customizing your ride, don't let anyone dissuade you from doing what you want in acheiving the look you want. That's what custom is.......enjoy it when they all go 'Damn......where'd you get those rims, yo?" :)

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
personally I don't see why everything AL is just hard ano'ed, but that's just me and I'm a fuctionalist in the art threory/school sense. I like to see the true nature of the materials worked with. Covering stuff up equals cheap materials not to be proud of in my book or just the cheap way to do it.

Unreal

Chimp
Sep 26, 2001
Seattle, WA
nickaziz said:
Does anyone know of any good gold colored rims available? Or can anyone think of a good place to get a set of new arrow dhx's painted or anodized?

Norco is using an Alex rim, but ive heard its a pretty light duty item, and i dont see gold available aftermarket option either.

mmm.... gold rims....
I have still have a limited supply of gold Halo Combat SAS rims in stock, it depends on the size and drilling you want. And the new Halo Tornado rims will also be available in gold as soon as they show up as well.

As for people talking about the rim pulling apart at the seam… if a wheel is built right then tension in the wheel only serves to keep the seem nice and tight. If you beat the crap out of them then yes, you might see a small gap. Welded rims by their nature can’t really “pull apart”, but I wouldn’t consider them inherently stronger. When people destroy a wheel, and see that it pulled apart at the seam and conclude that it’s because the pinned joint failed, I think they’re wrong. That would be like coming upon a car wreck and seeing that the airbags went on and figuring “of course they crashed; the air bags went off in their face!”

All you got to do is look at the Trailpimp to know that pinned joints can be plenty tough.

Gold paint finishes usually look like crap, they just don’t shine. A Gold Krylon rattle can job is about as ghetto as warm Bud Light. A gold flake finish is pure pimp if you ask me, but a gold flake Powdercoat job will cost you a first born child, and a gold wet paint finish might not be all that durable for use on a rim. Either way, the paintjob is going to cost more then the rims.

Hope I could help…

nickaziz

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
Hey man I called you today about this. You didnt mention the new Tornado rims to me on the phone. What will those be like? How soon will they be available?

Unreal

Chimp
Sep 26, 2001
Seattle, WA
nickaziz said:
Hey man I called you today about this. You didnt mention the new Tornado rims to me on the phone. What will those be like? How soon will they be available?
I don't technically stock the Tornado's yet... but they are available. I e-mailed ya about them. 32mm wide, lighter then the Combat, I'll have more details tomarow.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
nickaziz said:
I'd be going for strength not lightness. So SAS is a better choice?
Get the gold SAS Halo's they're PIMP :thumb:

I bought a Halo combat/woodman s/s hub combo built up by Ben at unreal, and its super strong, its taken a beating! and keeps running smooth his builder is really good :)

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I think you should do on of those Finishes on the cheesey them park rides. that nasty sparly stuff.... like this.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
aw, thought ud like that color. I think you might run into some trouble around the spoke areas on your new rims. as they have those things to protect the holes, dunno what their called. Just dont get to carried away. ;)