Quantcast

gold travis stantions?

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Word on the street is that some Manitou riders are testing a damping system that is not the Intrinsic damping that comes stock on the Travis. The only forks that I have seen that had that damping system had the standard gold colored anodizing and not the black. Other than that I do not know what is up.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Those are prototype forks for now and possibly what will be available to the public in 2007, some of the elite riders in the Canada Cup series are testing them now. As many of you know the Travis is a tall fork, especially the 8" version, apparently this has also been addressed on these prototypes.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
biker3 said:
Hmm, well someone should address the problem with them feeling like complete ****.

Well, that's funny our team "Team Intense Canada" are all rding the regular 7" Ti intrinsic version and everyone loves them so far.
Some of are team riders were on Fox 40's last year and have not missed them one bit when switching over to the Travis.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
DIRTWRKS said:
Well, that's funny our team "Team Intense Canada" are all rding the regular 7" Ti intrinsic version and everyone loves them so far.
well i dont have a Travis but have been running the Nixon Super Intrinsic (my first Manitou ever) and i have to say i'm pretty impressed. It runs a bit harsher than the Marzocchis i'm used to but seems to track really well and feels pretty solid. I'm guessing Manitou has improved the overall quality of their forks; no plastic knobs (a couple of fat burly knurled damping knobs), quality hardware and amazingly light for a 145mm fork. Curious to what they look like on the inside...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
It must really suck to work at Manitou right now.

Did they market the Travis at all? What the hell is Intrinsic damping?

I love my 03 Dorado.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
blue said:
It must really suck to work at Manitou right now.

Did they market the Travis at all? What the hell is Intrinsic damping?

I love my 03 Dorado.

Yeah, I rode an 03 Doardo for two years and liked it a lot, but I think the Travis is in another league all together, it's lighter, much stiffer and just as plush.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
gnurider1080 said:
manitou needs to bring back tpc+ on a solid dh fork. that damping system is the tits.
I'd have to agree...TPC+ is the tits, but all this talk of Intrinsic has me interested, cept it wasn't hyped before its release, so theres no holycrapetc stuff on forums.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
blue said:
I'd have to agree...TPC+ is the tits, but all this talk of Intrinsic has me interested, cept it wasn't hyped before its release, so theres no holycrapetc stuff on forums.
yeah kinda frustrating isnt it? there are still no service manuals on the new Intrinsic based forks, no info anywhere exept it has position sensitive (progressive) damping. I'll crack it open once my workshop is up and running....

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I considered one briefly when I was replacing my Boxxer, but the lack of info on them, and Manitous track record had me shying away.

Perhaps we should get Orven to open it up too? I'd like to know how these work. Is there or is there not a platform?

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
Black stanchions are out on 07 Travis and in is the "champagne" satin finish -just like the Dorado finish. Simple fact and simple reason is that the black ano finish just fades -ie: 888 black to purple syndrome.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
blue said:
Is there or is there not a platform?
no there isnt, they supposidly converted the SPV valving system so it provides bottom-out compression resistance instead of the platform damping (so not SPV at all). Sorta reminds me of the DHX; has the ProPedal like low speed compression feel and the Boost Valve type positional damping.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I think Manitou should try to make a fork that works before they get all schmarty pants about it. Just my .02.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Bicyclist said:
I think Manitou should try to make a fork that works before they get all schmarty pants about it. Just my .02.

Well the older Dorado did pretty well for itself and theTravis has been great so far . I can't say that for the older Boxxer and 888 I have had ! I didn't get a complete season on either of those before they completly died !

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I've ridden the Intrinsic and TPC+ cartridges in the same outer fork and the Intrinsic is way sicker than TPC+. Its so soft and plush, but the bottom-out control is the nice touch.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
profro said:
I've ridden the Intrinsic and TPC+ cartridges in the same outer fork and the Intrinsic is way sicker than TPC+. Its so soft and plush, but the bottom-out control is the nice touch.
I agree. I have a Travis Single 150 (w/ Intrinsic) that I rode for the first time this past weekend and was blown away with how plush it was right out of the box. You can almost bottom the fork just pushing down on it in the parking lot, but when motoring down the trail it never felt like it bottomed. On top of that I felt like there was less brake dive than my 7 inch Boxxer. Great fork so far. We'll see how it does this weekend at Bromont.

IronhorseCT

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
Trumbull,CT
We have both a 180 Ti intrinsic and a 180 TPC+ in our pits as well as some Boxxer WCs, a Fox 40 and a couple of Dorados. Honestly, both Travis' are sick. The Intrinsic is a bit softer in the initial stroke and more progressive through the travel, while the TPC+ is a bit linear feeling. They both run really well. I like the integrated clamp on the Ti. It is simple and it works. Those who bash manitou stuff need to swing a leg over a bike with a travis on it. It will change your impressions. With a pretty good cross section of the suspension market here on our team, I feel that the Travis can more than hold its own. I got to check out a 180 intrinsic SC last weekend and it was crazy! As stiff as the tripple and all the same dampening qualities.

Brennan

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
vitox said:
that apply to mud/rain riding too?
for sure, I was riding mine for the first time at the Canada Cup this past weekend in Bromont and it was an absolute ****show with flooding and all and the fork felt great the entire time and still does. I do wish it was alittle more linear but it is so smooth and supple that its worth it.
I had just thought those gold stanchions were old prototypes, i didnt know they were new ones. dooope.

Sep 9, 2004
Littleton, CO
biker3 said:
Hmm, well someone should address the problem with them feeling like complete ****.
Ha...that's funny Jesse. Mine is sick. Sooo nice. It is tall but on the M3 I dont really notice it. And what fork were you on at Angel Fire last weekend?

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
vitox said:
that apply to mud/rain riding too?

What we just had 100mm of rain during the three days of the Canada Cup at Bromont so, yes I think they held up well in the rain and mud. Can't say the same for brake pads though, most guys were lucky if they got three to four runs on a set !

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Maybe I will have to start saving for an 07 travis. I really like my sherman now that I got TPC+ carts in it. Hopefully the travis is even better.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
AusRottenVirus said:
Ha...that's funny Jesse. Mine is sick. Sooo nice. It is tall but on the M3 I dont really notice it. And what fork were you on at Angel Fire last weekend?
He was on a Boxxer Team, I was on the Travis.

I like it, except my axle won't tighten all the way and I need a softer spring.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Its sticky, and way stiff. If I drop the air pressure to make it supple, i blow through the travel. If I set the rebound any faster then it is, it tops out mightily.

Pike and Fox forks for me from here on.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Sherpa said:
He was on a Boxxer Team, I was on the Travis.

I like it, except my axle won't tighten all the way and I need a softer spring.
if you can get a buddy to push together your fork legs while your tightening it it will help.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
dropmachine.com said:
Its sticky, and way stiff. If I drop the air pressure to make it supple, i blow through the travel. If I set the rebound any faster then it is, it tops out mightily.

Pike and Fox forks for me from here on.
mines quite smooth. I do agree the rebound is on the fast side, but i'm guessing the stock oil weight is for lighter riders. Problem with air forks is volume is super critical; i'm wondering is that can be changed via oil height in the spring chamber.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
See, I have very little patience for that stuff. IT seems like mountain bikers are just willing to put up with **** like this, but not me. Especially not when I can get a Fox or Rockshox, and its stupidly smooth and perfect (cept maybe for springs) right out of the box.

Not impressed so far, in the least.