Quantcast

gonads of such weight....there is no element on the periodic table.....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This is exactly what your avarage couch patato says about downhillers.
Riding a normal bike is stupid enough but jumping off cliffs is downright stupid.

Were all retarded to someone.
Yes, but there's a good chance you won't die if you fall off the bike. ;)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
A lot of garbage talk here from a bunch of armchair wankers who probably couldn't climb a 5.8 if their life depended on it.

Agree with his approach/methods or not, this dude just upped the game and put his mark in the history of climbing. You're all here talking about him. Who's talking about you and your accomplishments?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My unroped solo climbing ended in the mid 70s in Yosemite. I was a couple of hundred feet up when a hold broke and I peeled off the face. I managed to grab and hold onto a ledge after only dropping 20' It took about twenty minutes for me to get my shit back together enough to climb back through that section and make it to the top. I never climbed without ropes and pro ever again..

Mad props for doing what he did. Lets hope he doesn't die too young
Knowing your history, I'm calling 50/50 you were climbing sober.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Agree with his approach/methods or not, this dude just upped the game and put his mark in the history of climbing. You're all here talking about him. Who's talking about you and your accomplishments?
Let's give him 10 years and see if he is still alive and feels the same.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
And what if hes not alive and died doing what he loved most in stead of rotting away in a nursing home waiting to get his diaper changed wishin he would have done something with his life like 90% of the people who waisted their lives talking about how retarded other people are for doing what they love?

:clapping:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I watched his documentary free soloing half dome. Being afraid of heights myself, sometimes I almost lost it only watching it on screen.
Honnold is a freak of nature. Congrats!

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Diarrhea kills over 2 million people annually, when it's your time, it's your time. Dude could quit climbing tomorrow and get killed driving back down to Sacramento. If he falls to his death on the next climb, oh well, we can all point and laugh and say "See, I told you dangerous things are dangerous", cool, yay us. I somehow doubt that if we met him in an afterlife he'd have a single regret, being able to live without regret is one of the most admirable things we can do in this life.

He did say he's taking some time off of free solo climbing, which leads me to believe that this was a life goal, and he may just throttle it back, not like there are that many walls left for him to free solo anyway. So maybe, just maybe, he's managed a "perfect" free solo career.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Diarrhea kills over 2 million people annually, when it's your time, it's your time. Dude could quit climbing tomorrow and get killed driving back down to Sacramento. If he falls to his death on the next climb, oh well, we can all point and laugh and say "See, I told you dangerous things are dangerous", cool, yay us. I somehow doubt that if we met him in an afterlife he'd have a single regret, being able to live without regret is one of the most admirable things we can do in this life.

He did say he's taking some time off of free solo climbing, which leads me to believe that this was a life goal, and he may just throttle it back, not like there are that many walls left for him to free solo anyway. So maybe, just maybe, he's managed a "perfect" free solo career.
And this wasn't something he did on whim. I read somewhere he's been planning and training for this for at least 5 or 6 years. Curious as to how many times total he climbed that route. Gotta be in the hundreds.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
We all die. It doesn't matter how you go dead is dead. Choose your path and live your life as you see fit. By sheer luck and some skill I am still here despite pushing myself right to and perhaps past my limits. As I have gotten older I have backed off a bit. In reality it will not matter when or how any of us go.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I have no issue with what he's doing if he's not putting others at risk, however that's not usually the case. My wife grew up in Yosemite, and my in-laws and brother-in-law still live there. It's a very small community and everyone knows each other; as such they're friends with some of the best climbers and wing-suit base jumpers in the world. Over the past decade a handful of them have died, and a few had small kids, kids that won't know their dad. Personally I think that's irresponsible, but I know there's other arguments. In addition to that, when there's an incident SAR has to go after them. Is it fair to put those people's lives at risk? To compare this to DH seems like a stretch - the mortality rates are no-where near the same.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
It was. He started this climb several times in the past without finishing it...
What did he do on those attempts? Climb down? That seems sketchy. Drone delivery of harness as bailout?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
What did he do on those attempts? Climb down? That seems sketchy. Drone delivery of harness as bailout?
Climbed down I'm sure. I watched an interview in which he stated he "knows" he could climb down nearly every ascent he's ever done.

Which, to me, is even more impressive than going up. Then again, I'm afraid of heights and would get semi-queasy working on the roof of my 1-story ranch, so what do I know....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Climbed down I'm sure. I watched an interview in which he stated he "knows" he could climb down nearly every ascent he's ever done.

Which, to me, is even more impressive than going up. Then again, I'm afraid of heights and would get semi-queasy working on the roof of my 1-story ranch, so what do I know....
For sure. I try to downclimb as much as I can, but doing it at the same difficulty level is damn impressive. I can usually barely downclimb V4s/5.11s, which means nothing since every place is different.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
From what I've read he rappelled down a series of fixed ropes. Down climbing several pitches like that would be challenging to say the least.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have no issue with what he's doing if he's not putting others at risk, however that's not usually the case. My wife grew up in Yosemite, and my in-laws and brother-in-law still live there. It's a very small community and everyone knows each other; as such they're friends with some of the best climbers and wing-suit base jumpers in the world. Over the past decade a handful of them have died, and a few had small kids, kids that won't know their dad. Personally I think that's irresponsible, but I know there's other arguments. In addition to that, when there's an incident SAR has to go after them. Is it fair to put those people's lives at risk? To compare this to DH seems like a stretch - the mortality rates are no-where near the same.
The thing is that gets me about Yosemite is that the one thing that could make free soloing safer is illegal there.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
being able to live without regret is one of the most admirable things we can do in this life.
there are 2 kinds of people who live without regret.

those who have never made a single mistake in their entire lives.
those who are too dumb to accept their mistakes.

havent met many of the first kind.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Not base jumping per se but a parachute is about the only safety net for free soloing
But the weight and motion restriction would be a liability for the climber. You can't open a 'shute if you are bouncing off rocks on the cliff face. Would only work if the wall was beyond vertical or if the climber had the opportunity to push off and get into clean air.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
But the weight and motion restriction would be a liability for the climber. You can't open a 'shute if you are bouncing off rocks on the cliff face. Would only work if the wall was beyond vertical or if the climber had the opportunity to push off and get into clean air.
That's the general idea, it's called freebasing.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I would argue removing all safety measures makes it a LOT more challenging. Physically, maybe not, but mentally absolutely.

Analogy most of us could relate to: Ride your bike 40ft on a painted line on the street. Ride your bike 40ft on a 2" x 4" 20ft in the air.

Technical challenge is a bit different, eh?

This is exactly what your avarage couch patato says about downhillers.
Riding a normal bike is stupid enough but jumping off cliffs is downright stupid.

Were all retarded to someone.
I agree with the above assessments. And Kevin, you're retarded to me buddy :cheers:

You already risk death climbing. I see free-solo akin to showing up at the DH park with your DH bike and no armor or helmet, then going and rocking the hardest trails as fast and as hard as you can, setting record times. Sure, you can do it, but it doesn't serve any useful purpose and it's downright stupid. Wearing a helmet and some pads, you can STILL always find more challenging trails to ride. I'm sure this guy isn't maxed out on routes and problems, there's always something harder. I have more respect for people that put their talent to use wisely.
I don't personally feel that I'm risking death when I climb any more than when I ride a bike (and I'm such a a sissy that I don't even road bike for fear of getting hit like many of my friends). At a certain level climbing is much more controlled than riding. If you are smart and methodical and can tell your ego to STFU, climbing can be a very safe sport.

Your comparison isn't very accurate. He was on a climb that he had repeated without falling numerous times, a climb that he had memorized all the important details of, a climb that he had personally inspected for loose rock. This would be more like the dude who shows up at the dirt jumps by me on a 20" bike with no brakes and no helmet and floats big clean back flips over the biggest booters. To me it seems crazy, but he has it so dialed that it isn't really that dangerous.

Consider the following. What if you couldn't ride as fast with a helmet? What if a helmet detracted from your enjoyment of riding? Do you rock full armor and a full face on your day to day trail rides (that would clearly be the safest option)? How safe or unsafe do you think it would be to leave your helmet at home the next time you ride your favorite flowy mellow trail?

Yes, but there's a good chance you won't die if you fall off the bike. ;)
Unless you're riding carbon barz. Then you're gonna die. Every time, most of the time.

PS check out some cool coverage from the valley floor

http://elcapreport.com/content/elcap-report-6317-special-edition-honnold-free-solo-elcap

Looks pretty terrifying

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It's already being done.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Downright amazing. I'm sure there's not many single physical human accomplishments that can compare.
There are a bunch of people who live on little islands in the middle of the pacific thousands of miles from the mainland whose ancestors might disagree.

They didn't get practice runs with safety nets.