Quantcast

Good all-around UST trail tires?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Who loves their general purpose UST trail tires?

Finally actually getting my butt back out on a bike and the last set of tires I bought were Michelin DH Comp 16s which are pretty weighty.

Looking for something lighter. I don't want to feel like I'm pedaling through mud but I tend to be happy accepting more rolling resistance for something with more bite that inspires a little confidence.

That said, the bike gets used around town a lot so I'd prefer rubber that isn't going to up and vanish after 15 miles on the pavement.

Thoughts?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Of course Im going to say Schwalbe Muddy marys UST are light and stupid traction. Absolutely one of the best Ive ran to date.

BUT apparently continental has some good offerings as does a few others now and they are getting better each year.

Now as far as alot of UST tires out there Im not really sold on the sidewalls as I tend to blow them out. They need to put a snakeskin or sidewall webbing to keep them from stretching and ballooning out. Thats not directed at Schwalbe rather at all of them. Ive ran alot of offerings and tried several and they all have too flexable of sidewalls for me. I find the freeride versions to be ample as well as work just fine and if Stans amonia worries you as to the longevity of the tire they have cafelatex out that has no amonia and foams up to eliminate sloshing.

Last edited:

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
I have been running the Specialized Eskar tires that came stock on my Enduro since November and they are holding up pretty well. Reasonably light, I have the S-Works Eskar up front and the Eskar Control in the rear. Overall grip isn't too bad for a 55/65a durometer tire, and the sidewall seems to be holding up alright.

I've run the Maxxis UST tires in the past on my DH bike and hated them, I found that the casing cut way too easy, I killed the front and rear tires within a few weeks and had to run tubes for the rest of their lives.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I've been loving Hutchinson Barracuda 2.3 UST's. They are badass as far as traction and flat resisitance. 950 grams per, kinda hefty.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I'm liking the Continental Rubber Queen 2.2's. (UST. Will be called Trail King from now on.) They roll pretty good, nice traction, but the rubber life is something I have yet to deal with. Only a few rides currently...

I.van

Monkey
Apr 15, 2007
Australia
I've been loving Hutchinson Barracuda 2.3 UST's. They are badass as far as traction and flat resisitance. 950 grams per, kinda hefty.
I have used these too, and they were a damn good tire. They do chew out on the road pretty quick though.

I have recently put a Continental Mountain King 2.4" UST on the front and this thing is overkill for General trail riding IMHO. They are very light for their size (710g), the side walls feel nice and strong, the have huge amounts of cornering grip but too much rolling resistance for me. I will be trying the 2.2" shortly to see if this is a good compromise. I can't provide any experience on the longevity of the sidewall as I have been lucky enough to not have ridden through lots of sharp rocks lately.

Attachments

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I find the freeride versions to be ample as well as work just fine and if Stans amonia worries you as to the longevity of the tire they have cafelatex out that has no amonia and foams up to eliminate sloshing.
Use Stan's or make a homemade ammonia-free sealant. Caffelatex is overpriced crap with poor sealing abilities. It takes forever if it does seal and most of the fluid leaks out. I am glad I bought a small bottle of that garbage and I have none left:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=571521

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Use Stan's or make a homemade ammonia-free sealant. Caffelatex is overpriced crap with poor sealing abilities. It takes forever if it does seal and most of the fluid leaks out. I am glad I bought a small bottle of that garbage and I have none left:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=571521
I use stans I prefer the bite of it vs others. I havent used the cafe latex because I swear by stans so thats good to know. Ive seen it and heard of it and thats about the extent of it....:thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Still would save almost 600g overall vs. the Comp 16s I'm running right now.

I'm not a weight freak by any stretch, I just don't have a good reason to be hauling around DH tires right now.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Of course Im going to say Schwalbe Muddy marys UST are light and stupid traction. Absolutely one of the best Ive ran to date.
How's the rolling resistance?

Mud tires so often feel like you're pedaling through... well... mud.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You can save at least 250 grams if you switch to Kenda Nevegal UST DTC tire (about the same weight as Muddy Mary UST only cheaper). Unlike a lot of AM UST tires, its dual compound with softer durometers. I don't like the Schwalbe triple compound in my Fat Albert UST in the wet - slips a lot more than those tires did (the Fats are great in dry conditions though). The UST Nevegals have an acceptable sidewall unlike the regular tubed variety.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
You can save at least 250 grams if you switch to Kenda Nevegal UST DTC tire (about the same weight as Muddy Mary UST only cheaper). Unlike a lot of AM UST tires, its dual compound with softer durometers. I don't like the Schwalbe triple compound in my Fat Albert UST in the wet - slips a lot more than those tires did (the Fats are great in dry conditions though). The UST Nevegals have an acceptable sidewall unlike the regular tubed variety.
Second the Nevegals for a great all around tire.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved

Ive rode em in 5 degrees to 105 degrees in snow, mud, socal inland, trail etc (alot of places between washington to Socal)... They are an intermediate tire so they arent a mud tire. They work in a BIG spectrum of situations and do VERY well.

Guey Gluey front tire and triple rear is the set up I run 90% of the time and if its alot of roots, rocks, dust and overall just nasty Ill run guey glueys front/rear.

I have my main wheelset id these and my other wheelset is Dirty dans for now with the snow and mud here.

Muddy mary has LOW rolling resistance and hooks up incredible, completely perdictable and does its job well.

The few times Id rock Guey Gluey front and rear are Bootleg, tunnel, schweitzer, (ALOT of dust and loose on alot of ROCKS) Just because I like to get fast and loose and need just a little extra handful of control but its mainly gravity shuttleable stuff and only the really nasty stuff.

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI

BUT apparently continental has some good offerings as does a few others now and they are getting better each year.

Now as far as alot of UST tires out there Im not really sold on the sidewalls as I tend to blow them out. They need to put a snakeskin or sidewall webbing to keep them from stretching and ballooning out. Thats not directed at Schwalbe rather at all of them. Ive ran alot of offerings and tried several and they all have too flexable of sidewalls for me. I find the freeride versions to be ample as well as work just fine and if Stans amonia worries you as to the longevity of the tire they have cafelatex out that has no amonia and foams up to eliminate sloshing.

I find that they roll like squares.

I have a gooey gluey front and rear for runs where I don't have to do much pedaling, but if significant pedaling is involved they ruin the day. I'm looking for a more pedaling friendly tire as well for all around riding on days where shuttling or lifts are not available.

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
Even though it is not UST, the 2.4" Black Chili Rubber Queens (Trail Kings now) can be converted tubeless pretty easily. These have thick sidewalls, and huge volume/width (same as 2.5" Minions). Only 850g, which is same as most other trail UST tires. The UST version is heavy, something like 1100g, and the 2.2" version I had trouble sealing up tubeless.

So far, 2.4" Black Chili non-UST version has been better than all other tires I have tried in its class (Nevegals, Mountain Kings, Alberts, etc.). Michelin is coming out with new UST tires (WildRock'r) soon, which I want to try next.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I run an Albert Front, and a 2.3 High Roller Rear. On Flow rims.

That combo has worked stellar for me up here in the Ottawa area. (typical northeastern stuff - gooey mud, rocks and roots).

I used to run Alberts front and rear, but had the aforementionned problems with traction on wet roots. For some reason that I can't explain, as a front front-only it rocks. It has worn down after two full seasons (2-3 hour rides 2-3x/week in season) so I siped the intermediate knobs and it has given the tire a new lease on life! The Maxxis High Roller in the rear is 60a I think, and it is a fantastic rear tire for xc. I'm very happy with the combo. I'm on a 2005 Endro.

Although, I have buddies that run 1.9 Larsen TT on single speed fully rigids, and kick my ass. They say that speed and momentum provide more traction than any rubber will! (I say %$! em! - those skinny little snot nose roadie wannabies!)

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Hey BV,
There is no sense in running some big heavy tire on your hardtail for where you live. You could try something like the Specialized Purgatory Controls in 2.2
They weigh 670 grams, and grip like mad. They use a tubeless bead, but the
they save weight by not using the UST casing. I could seat mine with floor pump. They are also dual compound, and the center knobs last forever. I have had the same set on my bike for about 7 months now, and the rear tire is now getting close to worn.
Also, Michelin has a whole new line of trail tires coming out that I will be trying to get my hands on this month. They look good on paper, but I don't want to give you an e-review.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Although, I have buddies that run 1.9 Larsen TT on single speed fully rigids, and kick my ass. They say that speed and momentum provide more traction than any rubber will!
Your friends are smart. It's a can of worms best left unopened in this place though.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Your friends are smart. It's a can of worms best left unopened in this place though.
IDK, nobody runs 3.0 Gazzis anymore, even 2.7 Minions are considered too big by most people.

I HATE slow rolling tires for trail riding, but they also need to be able to go dh, and light 1.9s aren't going to cut it on a rocky dh, nor do they necessarily have lower rolling resistance vs. wider tires.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
IDK, nobody runs 3.0 Gazzis anymore, even 2.7 Minions are considered too big by most people.

I HATE slow rolling tires for trail riding, but they also need to be able to go dh, and light 1.9s aren't going to cut it on a rocky dh, nor do they necessarily have lower rolling resistance vs. wider tires.
I wasn't suggesting that the 1.9's were right, but the idea that speed and momentum provide more traction than rubber for trail riding. It's entirely possible that peoples definition of trail riding is different from mine, but I generally find DHers have little-guy-syndrome when it comes to picking xc tires. Heavy duty soft tires are pretty great at riding slow and going down hills. Personally, I'm a proponent of light(er)weight hard compound tires for trail riding though. They roll signicantly (^10) faster, and momentum is the biggest factor in staying upright and getting hung up less in flat + uphill terrain. The lighter you ride and less you stick to (pun intended), the lower your dependence on soft compounds and faster you can ride. Unfortunately the OP is limited to UST tires, which I'd opt for a larsen/high roller combo for XC and AM in their respective sizes depending on location. (2.1 and 2.3) Just my 2 cents.

dsb18292

Chimp
Mar 24, 2009
All have tradeoffs. I have yet to find the fast rolling do-all ust tire that is still burly and has dh grip. The 60a 2.35 HR UST is pretty close though. The 2.1 HR ust is wicked fast, but is tiny and has a huge dead zone from ctr-side knobs.

Nevegals, they aren't all bad. Now that both sizes come in DTC they are better than the old 2.1 ust in the generic rubber comp. The 2.35 is over 1000g though. They roll like nevegals, good climbing traction but a bit slow on flats and uphills. FWIW the Excavator 2.35 will be out in DTC UST this summer. More grip, more mod options, but I bet it will be about 1000g and not really a fast roller.

The RQ 2.2 is a decent trail tire at about 850g, big volume, and decent rolling resistance. If they bring it out in the black chili I would likely buy another. In the standard compound I would pass though. The Muddy Mary has a very similar tread, but more/better rubber compounds. If I was buying this pattern now the MM would get my money.

The purgatory 2Bliss is a good tire, light and decent rolling characteristics. It does burp if you press it too hard though. If you corner hard you may be better off with the full ust "grid" version of the tire.

That's all I got in UST riding as of the last year or so. I have been on old stock 42a HR ust and Hutchinson Octopus low rebound ust all winter. They are great in the wet/slick, but wouldn't want to run them out back as things dry off. Actually the 42a HR UST 2.35 front and the RQ 2.2 ust rear was a decent winter tire combo for mixed wet/dry overy other ride :)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I find that they roll like squares.

I have a gooey gluey front and rear for runs where I don't have to do much pedaling, but if significant pedaling is involved they ruin the day. I'm looking for a more pedaling friendly tire as well for all around riding on days where shuttling or lifts are not available.
Put a big betty on the rear it has less resistance than the MM and can hammer it out pretty good. Thats a good combo especially for Socal, love it as a rear tire and a MM front! :thumb:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I was being serious......... As an all around tire in a 2.35, its fits the bill very well.... Good climbing, good cornering, decent on holding up for abuse.....Rolling resistance really isnt that bad on it.
Blew 5 up in a row, 2 DH casings, theres a void when cornering and even if you cut every other horizontial slit side lug out it still has a void on cornering.
Braking wasnt all that good as the rear got loose.

Overall I was never really happy with them, I ran them on various terrrain and didnt have much to compare them too so I dealt after trying other tires I wont be going back to them....

(eedited: actually blew up 2 more on the stadium drop in Lake Elsinores 7 dead)

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Blew 5 up in a row, 2 DH casings, theres a void when cornering and even if you cut every other horizontial slit side lug out it still has a void on cornering.
Braking wasnt all that good as the rear got loose.

Overall I was never really happy with them, I ran them on various terrrain and didnt have much to compare them too so I dealt after trying other tires I wont be going back to them....

(eedited: actually blew up 2 more on the stadium drop in Lake Elsinores 7 dead)
You dont count though, your abnormal anyways!!!

Ever try running them on true UST wheels?

Now dont get me wrong, Im not a huge Kenda fan, personally I go for the specialized linup myself.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
You dont count though, your abnormal anyways!!!

Ever try running them on true UST wheels?
LOL :thumb:

When it comes to true UST or ghetto I prefer Ghetto with using stans on the outside to let the bead slip in place. It actually bonds itself to the rubber rim strip and virtually eliminates burping and when I smash into the side of a rock it doesnt show leakage at the rim. I have had the best luck tthis way and this is how I started my tubeless setups and Im back too it...
I have 823s and also I9 with there hubs as well and I trust ghetto more so.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
LOL :thumb:

When it comes to true UST or ghetto I prefer Ghetto with using stans on the outside to let the bead slip in place. It actually bonds itself to the rubber rim strip and virtually eliminates burping and when I smash into the side of a rock it doesnt show leakage at the rim. I have had the best luck tthis way and this is how I started my tubeless setups and Im back too it...
I have 823s and also I9 with there hubs as well and I trust ghetto more so.
I will say, If I am running Stans or ghetto.... Ill take a regular tire over a UST......

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I will say, If I am running Stans or ghetto.... Ill take a regular tire over a UST......
Till they make the sidewalls tougher Ill take a regular tire period!!! Ghetto or otherwise... I blew the sidewalls so bad they had bulges and would blow off the rim everytime I tried to seat them... Basically they are useless to me at that point and thats alot of the USTs out there.
Kendas on the other hand didnt matter they all had issues and it sucked. Tire blows and your rim gets hammered flat!