Quantcast

good downhill mtb stores in los angeles

bobbie

Chimp
Feb 23, 2005
going to be in the glendale area of LA for about 2 weeks pretty soon so can anybody tell me the best mtb stores that stock all the top downhill gear.thanks

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Glendale is far from Bike Company (but sure is worth the trip). H&S Bikes in Burbank is pretty DH/FR versed. Performance have DH parts too... thorn resistant inner tubes--the cheapest DH tube substitute.. :)

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
There's a SuperGo in Santa Monica, if you're looking for an Iron horse they're the best deal around. If you're headed east there's JensonUSA in Ontario, although their shop is really nothing too special, if it's not on their website it's not in the shop, the prices are the same either way, but you'll save shipping. I don't realy know if there are LBSs in the area that might have a good selection of high end downhill stuff, I guess Helen's bikes is where Mike D just got his Gemini, if it's the same as whatever store I remember stopping by in Upland or San Dimas or whatever it was, then it's a pretty nice shop.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
BSEVEER said:
Incycle in San Dimas is a great store.
That might be the place I stopped by, they had Cannondale, Santa Cruz, Intense all in the shop and more than just one of each model. It was in an old part of town not too far from the 210 on the south side of the street one or two buildings away from the corner if I remember correctly.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'm just naming names that haven't been named, so I can't say with authority where to go or give an endorsement, but there are BikeAttack and Atomic Bikes in the LA area, and Adrenaline bikes (supposedly somewhat sketchy) in Orange county.

BikeCo has an awesome rep, and I hear tell that The Path is good, too.

In San Diego we have a few more options, but I don't know how far you wanna drive. Beyond Bikes in Poway has a LOT of stuff in stock.

MD

Edit: Helen's Cycles does have some DH stuff, too...the Santa Monica store (near Supergo, too) has a little loft with DH stuff. I did indeed get my Gemini there, but they're not Go-Ride or anyone.

TYM

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Torrance CA
Don't waste your time with Helen's in SM. They are a bunch of stupid-yuppie- roadie-mother f*ckers. Jeff is the biggest sh*t head of them all.

Spend $1200 in their shop and you would think they'd give you a frame box (since I did buy a frame). Nope. Come back in a few days ... maybe we'll have one available then.

Also, promised to mail a small cable guide which I needed to run a front derailleur. 3 weeks and 3 phone calls later. Nothing.

Finally drove up there this past weekend to pick one up.

They had Synopsis in stock so I picked one up. One of the sales guy told me how it was so long that he had to turn it off. I should have put it back and said thanks for the heads up. Then order it online from someone else.

And their mechanics. What a joke. I needed some 1.5 headset spacers and they had no clue. He kept asking me you want 1" or 1 1/8". No 1 1/2 (onepointfive). Finally he got frustrated and said no we don't have any. You would think the so called "#1 Cannondale dealer" would know what onepointfive is.

Anyway, to make a long story short ... stay away from Helen's in SM.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
TYM said:
You would think the so called "#1 Cannondale dealer" would know what onepointfive is. .
I told you to just ask for the C'Dale headset bearing. It makes for a good, albeit heavy, 1.5 spacer...

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I gotta give a plug for my lbs. Coats Bicycles in Claremont. They kick @ss more than any other shop I have done business with, particularly if you deal with the manager/owner who is in the shop pretty often. They cut me deals on parts and special orders cause I'm a college student and have no money, they sold my cycle club 2 ht bikes for cost to get the club off the ground, and of the few screw ups that they have made in my experience with them, they have always been ready to step up and make it right. They sell Spec. Giant and Kona stuff, decent selection of high end parts, armor, etc. etc.

Chimp
Jan 10, 2002
CA
For DH, Wheel World in Culver City is much better than Supergo or Helen's.

I'm also voteing for The Path. It's a very small shop but they got everything for DH all crammed in there! .. also the guys that work there are really cool guys and all ride.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
spookydave said:
I'll toss another in for The Path. For such a small place they sure pack in the high end DH gear.

I as well am putting a word in for The Path as well. They have great service and do have a large selection of DH stuff. For those of you who haven't been there in a while, Tani just acquired the next door shop, tore down the wall and almost doubled the size of the store.

fr-rider

Monkey
Aug 14, 2004
Albuquerque, NM
That's why you should support your LBS :stosh:

TYM said:
Don't waste your time with Helen's in SM. They are a bunch of stupid-yuppie- roadie-mother f*ckers. Jeff is the biggest sh*t head of them all.

Spend $1200 in their shop and you would think they'd give you a frame box (since I did buy a frame). Nope. Come back in a few days ... maybe we'll have one available then.

Also, promised to mail a small cable guide which I needed to run a front derailleur. 3 weeks and 3 phone calls later. Nothing.

They had Synopsis in stock so I picked one up. One of the sales guy told me how it was so long that he had to turn it off. I should have put it back and said thanks for the heads up. Then order it online from someone else.

And their mechanics. What a joke. I needed some 1.5 headset spacers and they had no clue. He kept asking me you want 1" or 1 1/8". No 1 1/2 (onepointfive). Finally he got frustrated and said no we don't have any. You would think the so called "#1 Cannondale dealer" would know what onepointfive is.

TYM said:

HAha I was just in there a few weeks ago, I had the SAME experiance, that place is full of ass hats and WAYYYY overpriced.

I went down the street to super go, got 20% off and directions to a sick DJ spot :)

Helens sux ass. Oh, the funny part is I had my Kona Dawg with me, I layed it on the floor, out of the way... the lady at the counter is all, "you crazy guys with your big 'off road' bikes" than she moves my bike like 6 inches form where it was, as if it was in the way or something... :rolleyes:

I **** you not...

All I needed was a tube and some lights, I bailed and found Supergo...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yeah, both Helen's stores seemed pretty relieved to be rid of those stupid "downhill" frames I bought from them. Can't say I hung around for any longer than I had to. The one DH guy in the SM store (George? Also owned a green Gemini...) seemed nice enough, though.

They did, however, brush off my request to face the headtubes of the bikes, which kinda pissed me off. Sell a frame, you should prep it...isn't this why you GO to a bike shop instead of ordering something online?

MD

TYM

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Torrance CA
fr-rider said:
That's why you should support your LBS :stosh:
My local bike shop was bought out by Performance. So now I drive 20-30 minutes out of my way to visit South Bay Cycles. One of the better shops in the South Bay. Only reason I bought my frame from HELen's is because they were blowing out a $2000 frame for $1000.

Thanks for the advise though :stosh:

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
If yer going to be in Glendale...H&S Cycles in burbank, once city over from Glendale, is the way to go. Its on Victory Blvd basically from Glendale go west on the 134..North on the 5...exit off BUrbank BLVD and say to the left...it'll loope around and go west over the 5 freeway. ...You'll come up on a 5 way intersection...head slight right on to Victory BLVD so that you past the Costco on the right...the shop will be on your right after a couple of blocks. ..The head mechanic Jermaine is the $HIT!!!...and he also races Expert Class DH so he knows what's what.