Quantcast

Good HipHop

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I recently got a huge hiphop kick and was looking for some suggestions of stuff to check out. Any free mixtapes online etc, and artists of course.

los jefes

Monkey
May 10, 2004
Asheville, NC
Blackalicious
Jurassic 5
Zion I
Prefuse 73
Living Legends
Common
The Roots
DJ Shadow
RJD2
Eye-dea
Haysoos
Quanuum MC's
DJ Crush

Some mainstream, some underground. All good.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
3Style from Edinburgh, UK. Don't know much about them but I like their track featured on iTunes last week.

Oh, and don't forget...Digable Planets is back together. They're playing at the 930 Club in DC tomorrow night! :thumb:

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
N8 said:
Good HipHop is an oximoron... or worse.

Jesus, You sound like my grandpa.

You've never actually heard any non-mainstream hiphop have you? I know you are an ignorant and stubborn old man set in his ways, but to Criticise something you have never heard is just LAME.

T0mo

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
nedtown, colorado
Lately I've been listening to a lot of Sage Francis or Eyedea & Abilities.

S.S. - I've never heard RATM refered to as hiphop.

Edit: Also for S.S. - Next time you're out skiin' some fresh pow (as we call it in "the industry"), listen to Eyedea - Even shadows have shadows. That's a cool skiing song that may change your mind about hip hop, or it might not, but I'd bet you'll like it. Also (I know you're not supposed to start sentences with Also, but I don't care), try listening to almost any Jurassic 5 before or during skiing.

rcoh

Chimp
Jun 2, 2005
dirtjumpP.1 said:
my bad... all i know is they sound funny :D

Here is more good aussie Hiphop (or 'SkipHop' as it is known here)

HilltopHoods
Bliss N Eso
The Herd
UrthBoy/Ozi Battla
MC Tre
Downside
The Cat Empire (hiphop/latin/folk/gypsy/jazz fusion)
TZU

Also check out the 'Culture Of Kings' Compilation Albums, there are 3 volumes.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
T0mo said:
Good choices. Add Atmosphere and Talib Kweli to this list and you have my 4 favorite hip-hop artists.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
dexterq20 said:
Good choices. Add Atmosphere and Talib Kweli to this list and you have my 4 favorite hip-hop artists.
And add Aesop Rock to that list as well.

Oh, and any old school Kool Keith album. Just don't listen to it with your mom around.....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
T0mo said:

S.S. - I've never heard RATM refered to as hiphop.

Edit: Also for S.S. - Next time you're out skiin' some fresh pow (as we call it in "the industry"), listen to Eyedea - Even shadows have shadows. That's a cool skiing song that may change your mind about hip hop, or it might not, but I'd bet you'll like it. Also (I know you're not supposed to start sentences with Also, but I don't care), try listening to almost any Jurassic 5 before or during skiing.
I'm going to listen to some of that when I get home tonight. If it sucks, I'm gonna blame *YOU* ;)

Oh - and I don't listen to music *whilst* skiing, but I do usually before I get on the slopes.

For me, though, appropriate fresh pow music is more along the lines of Comfortably Numb. :D

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
chicodude01 said:
Jesus, You sound like my grandpa.

You've never actually heard any non-mainstream hiphop have you? I know you are an ignorant and stubborn old man set in his ways, but to Criticise something you have never heard is just LAME.

suxors

silly_rabbit

Chimp
Jun 28, 2005
Brian HCM#1 said:
That's what I was thinking :think: I know for a fact there is no such thing as "good" hiphop.
Yes I agree "good" and "hip hop" Should not be used in the same sentence, its kind of like saying "Clean Dirt", it doesnt exist.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
N8 said:
I am surprised you are not a fan of hip hop.
Rappers like to pop pills, get high, and talk out of their azz on a microphone.

Much like Rush Limbaugh.

I am guessing the people that don't appreciate good hip hop still listen to hair metal, or maybe even Toby Keith.
But then again, if the only hip hop you have heard came from the radio.
I understand. Its bad.

T0mo

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
nedtown, colorado
dexterq20 said:
I "aquired" a copy of atmosphere - Sevens Travels, and thought most of it sucked. I heard that "god loves ugly" is better, but I haven't heard it so I don't know. I've never heard any talib kweli that I liked.

S.S. - did I ruin your life with terrible music recomendations? Or are you now willing to step away from the String Cheese and other hippy music that you probably listen to?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 said:
Don't forget, "good" country music too...!
good country music:

hank snow
johnny cash
neil young
charley patton
charlie feathers

edit - hank willams (NOT JR!!!!)

it's out there, just avoid the mainstream nashville crap.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Jurassic 5's "A Day at the Races" always gets me pumped to rip some trails. Very cool bass lines.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
T0mo said:
<snip>
S.S. - did I ruin your life with terrible music recomendations? Or are you now willing to step away from the String Cheese and other hippy music that you probably listen to?
You didn't ruin my life, but I did waste about an hour finding and listening to that crap. :p

String Cheese? Who the f**k are they?

I listen to classical, mostly. With some Metallica and RATM for variety. :D

Wassobe

Chimp
Feb 9, 2004
simsbury
I'm down with all the music everyone's mentioned already but...

Just so you all know, Guru just released a new album and it's pretty sick. A bit different than the classic 'jazzmatazz' but it's good.

For those who don't know, Guru is monotoned main MC from Gang Starr.