Good HipHop

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
sleepinggiant said:
Sweatshop Union
:thumb:

Anyone not familar with them might recognize their track "The Thing About It" on The Collective soundtrack during the Whistler bike park segment.

Tashi

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
Hypocritical post time:

To all the hip-hop haters: Critizing someone else's tast in music is stupid. It's kinda like getting on their case about what food they like. Almost every genre has some good artists and a buttload of horrible ones. Yes, classical, metal and classic rock included. If you aren't familliar with the good ones, that doesn't mean the genre sucks.

Hypocracy time:
Sweatshp Union? Blechh. Sounds like every other white-boy (even though they're not all white), sorry "concious" hip-hop group out these days.

Some of my current faves:
K-OS
MIA
DJ Krush
Anything from Del (Hiro., Del tha Funkee..., Delton 3030 etc.)
Wu-Tang (I can't stop listening to "Forever" these days, "W" can be a little raw at times)

Check out "the bassment" on Live365.com and you'll be pointed in the right (well, for my tastes) direction.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Tashi said:
Hypocritical post time:

To all the hip-hop haters: Critizing someone else's tast in music is stupid. It's kinda like getting on their case about what food they like.
DHG, is this you? :)

btw, i agree w/ you, but will also make the statement that as w/ food, one can certainly go to some effort to extend their palate. not liking it is one thing, but being ignorant and still not liking it (much like "christians" burning books they haven't actually read) doesn't cut it.

edit - actually, one could make the case that for something like opera, it's fairly cut and dried. either you like the vocal stylings, or you don't. there isn't much room in between.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
narlus said:
DHG, is this you? :)

btw, i agree w/ you, but will also make the statement that as w/ food, one can certainly go to some effort to extend their palate. not liking it is one thing, but being ignorant and still not liking it (much like "christians" burning books they haven't actually read) doesn't cut it.

edit - actually, one could make the case that for something like opera, it's fairly cut and dried. either you like the vocal stylings, or you don't. there isn't much room in between.
NO! It's not me...I would've pulled out my rum raisin ice cream analogy...

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
SkaredShtles said:
Sort of like hip-hop not really qualifying as music. :p
I second that! I can't stand rap, hip hop or whatever it's called. Nothing's worse than watching a bike video that has rap music in it...come on!

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
Brian HCM#1 said:
That's what I was thinking :think: I know for a fact there is no such thing as "good" hiphop.
wow Brian. what a brilliant comment. why don't you just go about your "OH SO COOL" ways and leave us newbies to oursevles?

you've obviously never listened to any good music in your life (no,crappy hair metal doesn't count). this post doesn't make much of a point,but your dumbass intervention in this thread just made me upset.

one and only: Del,Deltron,or Del the Funky Homosapien. he is also a part of the Gorillaz,whose new cd (Demon Days) is AWESOME!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
AlmostHeaven said:
wow Brian. what a brilliant comment. why don't you just go about your "OH SO COOL" ways and leave us newbies to oursevles?

you've obviously never listened to any good music in your life (no,crappy hair metal doesn't count). this post doesn't make much of a point,but your dumbass intervention in this thread just made me upset.
Is your sense of humor somewhat retarded? :think:

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
AlmostHeaven said:

one and only: Del,Deltron,or Del the Funky Homosapien. he is also a part of the Gorillaz,whose new cd (Demon Days) is AWESOME!

Those be fighting words. I got 2 del cd's for u when i get back tmrw.

hans2

Chimp
Jul 26, 2002
Boston
www.sandboxautomatic.com for new releases

Stuff I've been listening to lately -
Immortal Technique - Bin Laden (Remix w/ Chuck D & KRS)
Slug
Missy Elliot - The Cookbook has some great beats
Notorious BIG vs Frank Sinatra - Blue Eyes beets Bed Stuy -- no idea, but intrigued
j5 / chali 2na
mos def
vast aire
talib.
any of the wu tang members - ghostface, raekwon etc
edo g
aesop rock, of course,
buck 65

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
narlus said:
buck 65 is from nova scotia or newfoundland, some out-of-the-way place like that. that cracks me up.

actually, it's pretty cool.
I have that "Square" disc or his - with the 4 long ass tracks on it - Square 1, Square 2, etc..
Not too bad, but I like his producing/mixing more than his rhyme style.
Creative as hell though.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
hans2 said:
www.sandboxautomatic.com for new releases

Stuff I've been listening to lately -
Immortal Technique - Bin Laden (Remix w/ Chuck D & KRS)
Slug
Missy Elliot - The Cookbook has some great beats
Notorious BIG vs Frank Sinatra - Blue Eyes beets Bed Stuy -- no idea, but intrigued
j5 / chali 2na
mos def
vast aire
talib.
any of the wu tang members - ghostface, raekwon etc
edo g
aesop rock, of course,
buck 65

Ohhh I like the new Missy Elliot!