Quantcast

Good Machine Shop- Ala Disco Volante

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
Hey Guys,
I thought that once apon a time there was a bay area machine shop thread, but I could not find it via a search. So here goes. Last night me and my buddy were wrenching on his Crapiel Disco Volante :stosh: , all we did was loosen the 2 pinch bolts that hold the shock bolt rotator thingy in place (mid point on the big plates). After a few minutes, we looked back at the linkage, and it was cracked, all the way through on one side! :mad: The metal is very thin in that section, but I still for the life of me cant figure out what would cause the cracks. Basically it LOOKS like it's isolated to just the pinch bolt area and is still kinda ridable, but I'm thinking that is where most of the stress is put on the suspension, so it won't last long. Does anyone know of a decent machine shop, preferably in, but not limited to the south bay, where we could get some linkage plates fabed?

El Santo

Chimp
Apr 14, 2002
the 'burbs of SF
I know the Stanford machine shop makes lots of one-of-a-kind doodads for the physicists there - they are reported to be bad ass at machinining things. I don't know if they'll do outside work, or how much it'll cost.

Here's the link.

Good luck.

Where is the crack? the little side webbing that fills in where there would be holes always cracks. The linkage plates on my buddies army have been cracked for years. I took care of that problem by ovalizing my headtube on my army and trading him the rest of the pieces. I had some cracked plates on my disco and replaced them when jan was still trying to kill his company. good luck finding that stuff, if it is just the "support webbing" ie thin resdiual metal betweeen the machined x braces it probably wont matter. I loved both my karpiel's but when you can't get parts and the maker owes the other companies necessary to build the frames things won't improve in time. Ride it until it is dead and get a modern bike eventually. good luck, boomer

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
boomerbaird said:
Where is the crack? the little side webbing that fills in where there would be holes always cracks. The linkage plates on my buddies army have been cracked for years. I took care of that problem by ovalizing my headtube on my army and trading him the rest of the pieces. I had some cracked plates on my disco and replaced them when jan was still trying to kill his company. good luck finding that stuff, if it is just the "support webbing" ie thin resdiual metal betweeen the machined x braces it probably wont matter. I loved both my karpiel's but when you can't get parts and the maker owes the other companies necessary to build the frames things won't improve in time. Ride it until it is dead and get a modern bike eventually. good luck, boomer
Ok, If you are looking down at the linkage plate it has 3 pivot points. One on the frame, one on the shock mount and one on the rear triangle, each with pinch bolts. The cracks are bascially on both sides of the pinch bolts (left and right sides). It almost looks like someone may have over torqued them and just split the aluminum. There is plenty of meat left on the linkage, so yea, he can probably ride it for a while, but I know that eccentric shock bolt is going to work itself loose sooner or later with no support around the pinch. Other than that, the bike seems to be bombproof. I've seen the thing doing cartwheels down hills, like ones that would kill any other bike, and this one just keeps going. Too bad about the lack of support from Jan these days. :(

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
Brian HCM#1 said:
Is it the bearing pinch bolts? If so they are probably the ones that are flush with the link. Am I correct?

Well, your description is right on, but I dont think they are pinching bearings. These are the ones in the middle. You know how on Disco's (and Army's, I think), you can adjust the travel and bb height by turning that eccentric shock mount in the middle of the linkage? That's what we were going for, after loosening them up, we spotted the cracks.

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
Lexx D said:
pictures!
Yeah, I guess that would be best. To tell the truth, I think he's going to have to replace the whole plate on each side though. I'll see what I can do in the way of a dig. camera to get some pics up.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Brian HCM#1 said:
It's the longer links then.
Ahhhh but which one's there were three. Call Karl Rogne at Olympic Bike Shop in Tahoe City and ask him. Last I heard he has a stockpile. Send him the bad link and he will match it up for you or something. I don't know talk to him.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
dhtahoe said:
Ahhhh but which one's there were three. Call Karl Rogne at Olympic Bike Shop in Tahoe City and ask him. Last I heard he has a stockpile. Send him the bad link and he will match it up for you or something. I don't know talk to him.
3? I knew there were 2. Is that the one for the 8 3/4" shock?

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Brian HCM#1 said:
3? I knew there were 2. Is that the one for the 8 3/4" shock?
1 had a different bearing size because Jan got a great deal on bearing didn't get the right size so he made links to fit. Another one of his better business ideas. Save a little on bearings and spend a ton on new links. Ding - Dong!!!

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
El Santo said:
I know the Stanford machine shop makes lots of one-of-a-kind doodads for the physicists there - they are reported to be bad ass at machinining things. I don't know if they'll do outside work, or how much it'll cost.

Here's the link.

Good luck.

Thanks. It looks like even if they don't do outside work, they have a ton of links, so that should set us in the right direction.

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
Brian HCM#1 said:
The ones that are flush tend to crack but still work. Get some pics, plus I maybe able to help you out. PM me for more details.
Ok, thanks. I'm gonna get some pics tonight, then I'll post 'em and pm you.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
dhtahoe said:
1 had a different bearing size because Jan got a great deal on bearing didn't get the right size so he made links to fit. Another one of his better business ideas. Save a little on bearings and spend a ton on new links. Ding - Dong!!!

Now that's funny. Don't send the bearings back for the right size, just make different links, that'll keep 'em guessing!! :stosh:

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Personally I think he owed the local bearing guy money and that's all he could get at the time. Never would fess up to it. Perfect example of what drug/alcolhol does to someone. Karl went to his house awhile back to TRY and get some of the money owed to him and he said that his trash can was "spilling over" with empty vodka bottles. Now I really don't feel sorry for him. Sorry to keep bashing the guy, but it has taken me two years to recover from all the work I did and NEVER got paid for. Not to mention the $1300 I never got back for a frame I ordered thinking I was helping a friend out. Had to go buy another USED Disco just to have a bike for the season that ended up costing me twice it was worth. I lost friends covering up his lies too. So F the guy at this point. It's all going to come out now, and I have filed a complaint with the fair labor board AND the IRS.