Quantcast

~~Good Monday Morning!!~~

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Morning all. I haven't ridden my bike in like 2 weeks due to things I had to do plus crummy weather, plus toasting my bottom bracket :( At least it looks like the weather will be nicer by the time the bike is back up and running.

splat

Nam I am
Narlus.

I ahve been taiking Tons , then posting them on Photo bucket for hte Kids parents to see. Been having a lot of fun with it , and the kids parents have been loving it .

Here are a couple of Favorite

A foul tip

The next Nolan Ryan ?

Peter Sliding into 2nd I wish I d snapped the picture half a second later cause he took the kid standing on the Bag out.

and this one says so much!! My sons team had Just won the Game in the bottom of the 6th with a come from behind victory. ( note the kid on the other team in the background )

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Morning all.

Worked on Saturday. Not much to report, no crazy people attempting to shoplift 35 c tires or anything fun like that...

Went on an awesome ride turned tough on Sunday with Tigg, a friend of Tigg's whose name I forget, Maureen and fellow PT shop rat Jerry up at Spier Falls in S. Glens Falls, NY. Got there by 10 and decided that we would start "at the bottom" and climb up to where Tigg and friend would meet us. Of course it started drizzling on the good sized climb up. We get "up top", which is actually the 1/2 way point in the climb to meet Tigg and his buddy. I'm impressed that Tigg's bud is decidedly climbing on an Azonic DH bike! Yikes! Getting in training for the US Open, he tells me!

Of course it begins to rain harder and harder. The terrain is awesome there: some rocky double track in the climbs, some switchbacks and lots of techy rooty singletrack with large amounts of riding options on big granite spines. We do a LOT of riding and sliding as the rain gets worse. Somehow the granite stays pretty grippy, as Maureen shows me by riding more spines that I do. Tigg's friend is hauling on the dh sections just about over everything including uber rocky stream beds. Tigg spins away on the seemingly unending climbs. Spier Falls/Palmertown mountain range basically climbs quickly and steeply 1000 feet onto a ridge overlooking the Hudson River just north of the PCB contamination and has awesome views of the river, the falls and the lower ADK's. It just seems that you never really level out and then when the downhills come, you dump the elevation very, very quickly....

Anyway, Tigg and friend and us part ways at a trail juncture that I think will bring us back towards the cars. Of course I was wrong...the wind is now howling and everyone is soaked to the core. Somehow on the double back Jerry and I lose Maureen and then spend 30 minutes finding her...We get going and then she bonks, hitting the wall pretty hard, which is NEVER a fun time!

We finally arrive back to our car 4 hours later at 2:00 pm. At the end I am shivering like a mad man and we all can't feel our hands anymore...That was just about the best "endurance test" rides I'ver had so far this year, which I personally hope to keep to a minimum.

Let's just say that I am looking forward to a warm next weekend! Skipping the crowds at the US Open to hopefully ride Platty and Jiminy Peak!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Jim Mac said:
Morning all.

Worked on Saturday. Not much to report, no crazy people attempting to shoplift 35 c tires or anything fun like that...

Went on an awesome ride turned tough on Sunday with Tigg, a friend of Tigg's whose name I forget, Maureen and fellow PT shop rat Jerry up at Spier Falls in S. Glens Falls, NY. Got there by 10 and decided that we would start "at the bottom" and climb up to where Tigg and friend would meet us. Of course it started drizzling on the good sized climb up. We get "up top", which is actually the 1/2 way point in the climb to meet Tigg and his buddy. I'm impressed that Tigg's bud is decidedly climbing on an Azonic DH bike! Yikes! Getting in training for the US Open, he tells me!

Of course it begins to rain harder and harder. The terrain is awesome there: some rocky double track in the climbs, some switchbacks and lots of techy rooty singletrack with large amounts of riding options on big granite spines. We do a LOT of riding and sliding as the rain gets worse. Somehow the granite stays pretty grippy, as Maureen shows me by riding more spines that I do. Tigg's friend is hauling on the dh sections just about over everything including uber rocky stream beds. Tigg spins away on the seemingly unending climbs. Spier Falls/Palmertown mountain range basically climbs quickly and steeply 1000 feet onto a ridge overlooking the Hudson River just north of the PCB contamination and has awesome views of the river, the falls and the lower ADK's. It just seems that you never really level out and then when the downhills comes, you dump the elevation very, very quickly....

Anyway, Tigg and friend and us part ways at a trail juncture that I think will bring us back towards the cars. Of course I was wrong...the wind is now howling and everyone is soaked to the core. Somehow on the double back Jerry and I lose Maureen and then spend 30 minutes finding her...We get going and then she bonks, hitting the wall pretty hard, which is NEVER a fun time!

We finally arrive back to our car 4 hours later at 2:00 pm. At the end I am shivering like a mad man and we all can't feel our hands anymore...That was just about the best "endurance test" rides I'ver had so far this year, which I personally hope to keep to a minimum.

Let's just say that I am looking forward to a warm next weekend! Skipping the crowds at the US Open to hopefully ride Platty and Jiminy Peak!
where is the US Open next this coming weekend?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Jim Mac said:
Diablo next weekend! That'll be the biggest DH race on the east coast, most likely.
Fawk, I'm going to watch!!

I go every year!!
Hopefully there won't be any inch worms this year.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
bluebug32 said:
G'morning

Had a great weekend. Rob pretty much summed it up. Hopefully next weekend will consist of a good ride or two in central NY. Any monkies want to show us the good spots?
central NY is a big area... where you looking?

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Jim Mac said:
Morning all.

Went on an awesome ride turned tough on Sunday with Tigg...
Nice ride report and it sounds like you caught some great views. I love this area. I was kicking myself for not bringing the camera to the Williams Lake race yesterday. That place was gorgeous!

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
splat said:
Narlus.

I ahve been taiking Tons , then posting them on Photo bucket for hte Kids parents to see. Been having a lot of fun with it , and the kids parents have been loving it .

Here are a couple of Favorite

A foul tip

Tell that boy to keep his hand behind his back. I caught for pretty much my whole baseball career, and that is the quickest way to end up with a broken and bloody finger. I would know.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
robdamanii said:
Would have loved to ride Blue, but between the weather and the clusterfvck with this custom wheel build pre-empted it....although I understand you cancelled it anyway?
It wasn't really me who cancelled it, but I didn't really complain either. Went back to sleep after talking to Stosh...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
bluebug32 said:
rob lives in Seneca Falls. So, I guess anything near Ithaca, like Shindagin...(sp?), or north toward Rochester. I don't really know the area too well
check out Cycle-CNY (link in my sig)... very active Ithica group there... and some good contacts for syracuse, binghamton, and rochester as well.

Shindagin, Hammond Hill, Dryer Rd, Highland Forest all come to mind as good places to ride.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Morning all!

Greyhound, congrats man! I know the shock suprise thing all too well!

My batchelor weekend came to a screaching halt yesterday when Bek and Emma came home from camp.

We had a huge retaining wall that collapsed behind our house, and one of the first things she said was something about me cleaning it up. :help:

I rode into town on Saturday for a Venture Outdoors festival. Our local MTB club had a booth there, and i was stopping down to deliver 2000 business cards that I just re-designed and printed for them.:thumb:

Went out to the park in the afternoon and worked on the trails for a while.
and that is about it for the weekend.

I took today off, cause I get 3 personal days a year and if I don't use them I loose them.:cool: so Emma and I are going to go have some fun shopping and hanging together. (I think its tooooo cold to head to the park)

Have a great day all!

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
jacksonpt said:
check out Cycle-CNY (link in my sig)... very active Ithica group there... and some good contacts for syracuse, binghamton, and rochester as well.

Shindagin, Hammond Hill, Dryer Rd, Highland Forest all come to mind as good places to ride.
Thanks!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Good morning! Crappy, rainy weekend at my house meant lots of cleaning! Syd had her 16 week check-up on Friday (she's 16 weeks today) and got her shots. She's 11 lbs. 15 oz. and 24" long. She ran a fever Friday night into Saturday morning so that meant very little sleep for me :( Today I am working on my kids final exams (photocopying) and then I have some lessons and a rehearsal for Thursday's concert. Other than that, hoping it warms up so I can head out for a ride afterwork & my private lessons.

MMcG - ggod luck with the van!
Stosh - Congrats on the first race...so, have you caught the bug and want to race more?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
TreeSaw said:
Good morning! Crappy, rainy weekend at my house meant lots of cleaning! Syd had her 16 week check-up on Friday (she's 16 weeks today) and got her shots. She's 11 lbs. 15 oz. and 24" long. She ran a fever Friday night into Saturday morning so that meant very little sleep for me :( Today I am working on my kids final exams (photocopying) and then I have some lessons and a rehearsal for Thursday's concert. Other than that, hoping it warms up so I can head out for a ride afterwork & my private lessons.

MMcG - ggod luck with the van!
Stosh - Congrats on the first race...so, have you caught the bug and want to race more?
Actually I'll probably do the HtoH race at Stewart this year.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
bluebug I may be going riding somewhere else this weekend, but if I am around roch I'll be riding somewhere in the rochester area on sat depending on how wet it is.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
Good morning,

Had a good weekend. Saturday did a solo ride and worked on some climbing. Sunday I went riding for the first time with someone I met through a mutual friend and got my butt kicked by the guy who was riding with toe clips! The pool is finally warm enough to jump in without fear of cardiac arrest so all in all a very good weekend.

Have a nice day.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
GumbaFish said:
bluebug I may be going riding somewhere else this weekend, but if I am around roch I'll be riding somewhere in the rochester area on sat depending on how wet it is.
Sounds good! I'll check with Rob.

Stosh, are you and Aubrey riding tomorrow? I sent you an email

J

JRB

Congrats, Greyhound.

Awesome on the kid, Teresa. Syd is about Caroline's size. This kid rocks so much. I can only hope that Syd is half as fun, so you can enjoy her as much as we do Caroline.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Congrats Greyhound!! :thumb:

Had a great ride on Sunday, despite the rain. See Jim Mac's report for details. :)

Pulled the trigger on a road bike this morning. :o:

Going in for surgery at 4pm today. :eek:

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
splat said:
WHich Road bike did you decidie on ??

FRAME Kinesis 7005 double-butted aluminum with carbon fiber seat stays,
sloping top tube frame design, replaceable derailleur hanger.
FORK Carbon fiber straight blade unicrown with alloy steerer, forged dropouts.
HEADSET Aheadset, internal cup type, alloy, 1 1/8”
WHEELSET Formula XR6 wheelset, 25mm profile rim with CNC sidewalls, 20/24H, 2X front & rear.
TIRES Hutchinson Flash, 700 x 23C.
DERAILLEURS Shimano Tiagra rear, Tiagra 31.8mm band clamp front.
SHIFTERS Shimano Tiagra Dual Control STI, 18-speed
CHAIN KMC Z9000.
FREEWHEEL Shimano HG50, 9-speed, 12-25.
CRANKSET TruVativ Touro Compact, 50-36,
170mm (51 - 54).
BOTTOM BRACKET TruVativ Powerspline, 68 x 108mm.
PEDALS N/A.
BRAKESET Tektro dual pivot calipers, with Shimano Tiagra STI levers.
HANDLEBAR Easton EA30 Road,
420mm (54 - 56),
STEM Easton EA30 Road (±6°),
90mm (48 – 54 M & L)
GRIPS Jamis gel tape.
SEATPOST Easton EA30 Road, 300mm x 27.2mm with alloy clamp.
SADDLE Jamis Road SL top and satin steel rails.
SIZES Men: 54cm
COLORS Ano Red/Ano Black
WEIGHT 20.50 lbs

splat said:
And Surgury ? Youy getting that Frontal Labotomy ?
Let's just say that after today there will will be no more little Tigg's brought into the world. ;)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Jim Mac said:
Morning all.

Of course it begins to rain harder and harder. The terrain is awesome there: some rocky double track in the climbs, some switchbacks and lots of techy rooty singletrack with large amounts of riding options on big granite spines. We do a LOT of riding and sliding as the rain gets worse. Somehow the granite stays pretty grippy, as Maureen shows me by riding more spines that I do. Tigg's friend is hauling on the dh sections just about over everything including uber rocky stream beds. Tigg spins away on the seemingly unending climbs. Spier Falls/Palmertown mountain range basically climbs quickly and steeply 1000 feet onto a ridge overlooking the Hudson River just north of the PCB contamination and has awesome views of the river, the falls and the lower ADK's. It just seems that you never really level out and then when the downhills come, you dump the elevation very, very quickly....

Great ride report :thumb: I love Spier Falls. Such challenging climbs coupled with excellent DH sections :drool:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
loco said:
Congrats, Greyhound.

Awesome on the kid, Teresa. Syd is about Caroline's size. This kid rocks so much. I can only hope that Syd is half as fun, so you can enjoy her as much as we do Caroline.
Yeah, we are loving every minute of her...even when she decides at 12 am that she wants to play ;)

J

JRB

TreeSaw said:
Yeah, we are loving every minute of her...even when she decides at 12 am that she wants to play ;)
Caroline, of course, just baby talks, but sometimes in the wee hours, she gets pretty fired up.