Quantcast

Good Morning, Miami!

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Rode with my next door buddy on trails that we don't really hit that much / at all. Lots of rocky steeps up and down. Recorded my highest HR and avg HR ever, I think. 8.3 miles of classic NE chunk, Garmin is now telling me to stay on the sofa and drink beer for 3.5 days.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
View attachment 175795

Got the road master flat tow base plates to work with the new bumper, winch plate will need a significant amount of modifications to work. Too bad I don’t have a welder or plasma cutter handy any longer.
Like that bumper and winch setup. Looks clean.

I was going to ask earlier but forgot…what beadlocks do you have? We picked up a ‘runner with a mild lift a few weeks ago and the dealer put silly small tires on it before selling. Going to go with 285 70R17 BFG K02’s but I’d like to change wheels because…..well, because.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Going to be spending the evening working on a cart for my plasma cutter. Still learning about MIG welding but am getting better at setting the wire speed / voltage.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

I was going to ask earlier but forgot…what beadlocks do you have? We picked up a ‘runner with a mild lift a few weeks ago and the dealer put silly small tires on it before selling. Going to go with 285 70R17 BFG K02’s but I’d like to change wheels because…..well, because.
Looking for DOT approved? A lot of beadlocks on the market aren't, if that matters to you.

gonefirefightin

free wieners

I chose the dirty life roadkills since they had the thickest ring in the industry and are easy to clean/polish due to being raw aluminum. My KMC's held up ok but look like trash after a season of use and were very finicky.

If you are going to go DOT approved the only wheel I would recommend are the hutchinsons. Spendy and heavy but solid compared to all the new DOT legal options.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Looking for DOT approved? A lot of beadlocks on the market aren't, if that matters to you.
DOT absolutely matters. May not even need or go the beadlock route but just started looking at things. I’m new at this after a 30 year (or so) hiatus. Lots of things have changed.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
DOT absolutely matters. May not even need or go the beadlock route but just started looking at things. I’m new at this after a 30 year (or so) hiatus. Lots of things have changed.
Beadlocks are something you should KNOW you need before venturing into that territory, as there are quite a few drawbacks that shouldn't be overlooked. Price, tire shops often won't deal with true beadlocks, though more importantly for your 4runner, weight. Hutchinsons are probably going to weigh 25 lbs more per corner than a typical aluminum rim, which is a big deal for IFS with oversize tires. Be prepared to get your cam tabs reinforced and don't be surprised when steering and suspension components wear out prematurely or need to be replaced with beefier stuff.

It's a slippery slope, but unless you truly need a beadlock, I'd recommend sticking with traditional or a fake lock if that's your style.

Last edited: