Quantcast

Good riding in South America

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
SA riders. I'm thinking about moving to a low cost of living country for a few years to build my retirement. If you could work from a laptop. What country would you move to?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
In terms of decent pricing, great mountain biking, access to amenities as well as culture, a decently educated populace, I personally would look at Colombia. I will probably live in Perú at some point in my retirement, but that has more to do with my friends there. But it isn't 'cheap', anymore, but nowhere is, really.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
In terms of decent pricing, great mountain biking, access to amenities as well as culture, a decently educated populace, I personally would look at Colombia. I will probably live in Perú at some point in my retirement, but that has more to do with my friends there. But it isn't 'cheap', anymore, but nowhere is, really.
Nowhere is uber cheap but most places are still cheaper than US and western european cities. No experience with general cost of living in SA but in Poland for example the upper cut off for the middle class govt limit (there was some assistance during covid) is 2080 USD/Month. Without kids you can probably do pretty ok here on that even in Warsaw incuding having a mortgage on a home.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Nowhere is uber cheap but most places are still cheaper than US and western european cities. No experience with general cost of living in SA but in Poland for example the upper cut off for the middle class govt limit (there was some assistance during covid) is 2080 USD/Month. Without kids you can probably do pretty ok here on that even in Warsaw incuding having a mortgage on a home.
Don't you have to travel to another country to use your bike?

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
8p
Peru keeps hitting my radar. Im trying to live on 50-60k and save the rest. Is this feasible?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
8p

Peru keeps hitting my radar. Im trying to live on 50-60k and save the rest. Is this feasible?
Where do you live that you can't live with that budget?

Actually I guess the question would be, what kind of life style do you want to have for 60k?

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Where do you live that you can't live with that budget?

Actually I guess the question would be, what kind of life style do you want to have for 60k?
I live in the DC metro area. I should have mentioned 50-60k with my wife. One person can barely live comfortably for 75k now with inflation and housing.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Do you have any idea what is going on in Perú right now?
(Caveat, if you have a tolerance for inconvenience and potential street violence, Perú could be pretty cheap living soon!) :p

Doing that on under 60K is certainly feasable, but probably not advisable in terms of security. (Personal, house, car, bikes, etc)

@ALEXIS_DH , can you please chime in?

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Don't you have to travel to another country to use your bike?
Naah. 3-4h drive but it's still in Poland. If I lived in one of the cities near the mountains it would be easier but I have a jurb which exists only in 1 city per country (maybe 3 cities in US).

Also the costs are probably the same for Czech Republic which has amazing riding. Slovenia may be slightly more expensive and still amazing riding.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I live in the DC metro area. I should have mentioned 50-60k with my wife. One person can barely live comfortably for 75k now with inflation and housing.
Check Czech Republic or Slovenia. For 30k pp after taxes you would live a pretty comfortable life. Good riding in both places. Sure probably the nature is a bit more boring than SA but life in CEE is pretty good if you can ignore the batshit insane politics.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
My two cents:

Argentina has a developing riding scene, but it's still small. Plus you have the issue of getting your payments into our financial system, which entails a certain amount of steps and might be too troublesome if you have a family (this is exactly what prevents me from getting a direct contract with an US based company). Also, getting replacement parts or new bikes suck (rich assholes usually sell their 2+ year old bikes for the price of the new one they want to buy next).

Chile has a thriving riding scene, but I don't know that much about the cost of living there.

I have a friend in Colombia, the median salary there is 350 USD, and you can get to good riding spots in a matter of hours, but security might be an issue if you get too far from the big cities.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
i get it, but you know what I’m saying. In S.A, you gotta pay to stay secure.
That said, I’ll be in Bogotá and Manizales in March to check it out myself. Staying at Marcelo Gutierrez’ house for a week, he’s going to show me around. Pretty stoked!

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
True statement.

There are plenty of spots with good riding which aren’t known yet in between. I have a few friends who relax by the pool while renting out their Swiss properties in Spain, Portugal and Italy.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
There is some insane riding in Peru, particularly in the valleys around Cusco. I don't know if I'd live there permanently, but I'd sure do an extended riding vacation there, both for motorized bikes and non-motorized.

Give the turmoil some time to settle. The country is very tourist/expat friendly under normal circumstances. Enough of their economy is based around that they can't afford NOT to return to that ASAP.

Chile is reportedly more of a livable place for someone looking to maintain a western lifestyle.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
No no no, this isn't true. Life in Czechia sucks and our trails are all lame. :homer:

That said, Slovenia is nice.
Kouty is great, I've heard good stuff about Dolni Morava. I've heard Trutnov is getting some good trails. You get some old DH trails too. Plus you are close to Austria, Poland, Germany and Slovakia depending on the part of Czechia.

I mean I get it. Some Czech trail ideas make as much sense as Czech heavy metal or Czech TV but Polish builders are way dumber in that regard.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Spain and Italy could be options. Maribor could be an option too.

Those are in South America right.
Actually wanted to mention mid size Spanish cities but I only know people who are there 6 months in a year. If it's doable on a Polish budget it's cheap and the whole country is basically mountains so it should be easy to find good trails

Plus if thinking retirement I'd want a semi workable healthcare industry.

PS. Add La Palma on the Canary Islands. My aunt had a Bungalow Hotel kinda thing there for years and it's a great place for riding plus you get great weather and no local animals that are nasty.

Last edited:
They are probably going to discontinue the ‘Golden Passport’ program, so that should help keep some yanks away.

All of this shit drives lower income folks out of their homes. :rant:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I mean I get it. Some Czech trail ideas make as much sense as Czech heavy metal or Czech TV but Polish builders are way dumber in that regard.
I would take that as a compliment, but I am very protective of the Czech Black Metal scene, namely my fav band there Master's Hammer. ;)

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
There is some insane riding in Peru, particularly in the valleys around Cusco. I don't know if I'd live there permanently, but I'd sure do an extended riding vacation there, both for motorized bikes and non-motorized.

Give the turmoil some time to settle. The country is very tourist/expat friendly under normal circumstances. Enough of their economy is based around that they can't afford NOT to return to that ASAP.

Chile is reportedly more of a livable place for someone looking to maintain a western lifestyle.
I'm looking at 1-2 years from now. This is what I'm hoping.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Didn't Paul Aston buy a whole property in the Liguria region of Italy for peanuts?

A whole lot safer then than SA.