Quantcast

good spots to live in CO?

mtArider

Chimp
Sep 14, 2005
i am thinking of moving to colorado in a few years. for collage.. but i dont feel like living on campus.. what are some nice downs, where a mobile home isnt 150,000 bucks..:mumble:

i nice mountain town close to riding.. maybe even in boulder... anyone have any ideas?

also how big is the riding scene in colorado?

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
you want to live in Boulder, and a place that has mobile homes under 150k.........If you find stuff in Boulder that cheap, please, let me know.....

If you want to ride year round, live in a cheap place, and in Colorado......I would say the Grand Junction area.....

cfk

Chimp
Apr 7, 2005
Boulder, CO
And if you want to go to CU it is my understanding you must live in a dorm, at least for the first year.

Boulder is Damn Expensive and if your into DH, this is not the place for you.

mtArider

Chimp
Sep 14, 2005
hahah, ok, i cvant telll if you are being truthfull, or your like our town.. you dont want it being taken over by other people? if thats the case just say so.. and i would be going to colorado state, not cu... yeah well... colorado is sick... i am atleas to take a trip to look at the campus and ride... alot.. hows the freeride scene in co?

thanks,
adam

cfk

Chimp
Apr 7, 2005
Boulder, CO
mtArider said:
hahah, ok, i cvant telll if you are being truthfull, or your like our town.. you dont want it being taken over by other people? if thats the case just say so.. and i would be going to colorado state, not cu... yeah well... colorado is sick... i am atleas to take a trip to look at the campus and ride... alot.. hows the freeride scene in co?

thanks,
adam
Colorado State not CU, my bad. But really Boulder is pricey

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
mtArider said:

thanks,
adam

My understanding is that you'd have to live on campus at CSU too frosh year....to be honest I don't know why you wouldn't want to; it's cheaper, you're surrounded by peers and drinking all the time, what could be better?:rofl:

I don't know about any "freeride" scene in colorado...but there is a big number of us who race DH at regional, national, and some even at the worldwide level who live here in CO, esp. the front range/denver/boulder area as well as western CO in such places as Durango, ect.

Mar 9, 2006
denver (ish), CO
mtArider said:

thanks,
adam
CSU is in FT. collins, which is quite a bit farther from the mountains (where the vast majority of DH biking is) than other schools in CO.

for biking of any sort, and a good school, CU is youer best bet. you have to live on campus freshman year and boulder is very expensive. but get some roommates and rent a house near campus and it won't be that bad.

EATYOURFACE

Chimp
Mar 30, 2005
fort collins, colorado
fort collins is pretty rad, i moved out here from ny 3 years ago and never looked back. CSU has a great bike team and theres tons of good riding around the area. As far as DH, dont listen to anyone from colorado when they say youre to far from the mountains. They think having to drive over an hour is too far.

Mar 9, 2006
denver (ish), CO
EATYOURFACE said:
fort collins is pretty rad, i moved out here from ny 3 years ago and never looked back. CSU has a great bike team and theres tons of good riding around the area. As far as DH, dont listen to anyone from colorado when they say youre to far from the mountains. They think having to drive over an hour is too far.
well when you have to drive over an hour more than everyone else in denver, then yes. on a good day.

and CU in boulder, it's like 45 min. - 1 hr. to get to pretty much any resort on a good day.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I'm pretty sure that if you can't spell "college", they won't let you in. Since you can't get in, I'd suggest living on the Western slope around Grand Junction. Lots of riding and reasonable cost of living.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
mtArider said:
i am thinking of moving to colorado in a few years. for collage.. but i dont feel like living on campus.. what are some nice downs, where a mobile home isnt 150,000 bucks..:mumble:

i nice mountain town close to riding.. maybe even in boulder... anyone have any ideas?

also how big is the riding scene in colorado?
I remember a mobile home going for $350,000 in 98 in Boulder. Boulder is extremely expensive, period.

Boulder SUCKS for the mtn bike scene. The hard core liberals of the world don't like us mtn bikers... they only have like 2 places are are adequate for riding (and you still have to drive aways to get there).

Look into Jefferson County (Arvada, Golden, Lakewood). Golden has a 'mountain town' feel, plus 6 different mountain parks you can ride from Downtown Golden. Boulder is an easy drive to the north on HWY 93 (about 20 minutes to the campus from Golden). Golden is a tad expensive, but no where near what boulder is.

For the most part, all the boulderites come down and poach our trails :mumble: :) .

In my humble opinion, go west (to Grand Junction). the riding is better there, cheaper housing... although the parties aren't as hard.

Gunnison has a college, although they may spell it collage as well.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
EATYOURFACE said:
I shouldn't have to drive at all to get onto single track. This is why I live within a mile of 6 parks.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
mtArider said:

thanks,
adam
What's freeride?

If you can get a free ride to Utah, you're golden.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Ascentrek said:
Gunnison has a college, although they may spell it collage as well.
I have a hard time liking Gunnison. I'd rather go to collage in Durango for damn sure.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
There's a college somewhere along 160 in the middle, southern part of the state, I think. A friend's daughter just started there and lots of chicas for the taking for a young buck.

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
I think if you're going to college for mtn. biking, then you probably shouldn't be going to college. Ever hear of going to college to get an education? I know it's a hard concept to grasp, but you should look into it.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
fuzzynutz said:
I think if you're going to college for mtn. biking, then you probably shouldn't be going to college. Ever hear of going to college to get an education? I know it's a hard concept to grasp, but you should look into it.
Good point. The reason I didin't go to CU or CSU was because I was affraid I would drop out and become a climbing bum.

Although, I'd probably be a better climber/mtb biker, i'd be scrapping around for cash.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
fuzzynutz said:
Agreed, so, don't go to CSU :blah: