Quantcast

Good Starter Bike

turbojames

Chimp
Nov 16, 2003
Lately I've gotten the tick to get a new bike. I got a mtn bike, but I want something to play around with on my college campus. I was thinking of looking into a hucker/freeride bike, but I don't want the hassle of suspension and gears. I'm pretty sure that I want to jump back on a freestyle bike.

I went to the local shops and checked out some bikes. They all felt so small. I was wondering if there are any good bikes that aren't too expensive and may have the size I'm looking for. Are there any outstanding bikes I should keep an eye on?

I saw the Haro Nyquist R24 in another thread and I thought it was pretty rad. What's the opinion on that bike? Also are there any other 24 inch freestyles out there worth looking at?

-James

turbojames

Chimp
Nov 16, 2003
One more ? ... Is the top tube length what determines how roomy the bike feels when sitting on the seat? I'm 5'11", so what is my prime top tube length?

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Top tube length and handlebar setup primarily affect how roomy it feels. Having larger wheels won't necessarily mean it has a larger cockpit. I think lower bars make it feel more stretched out. You can also tilt them forward a bit, but I don't much like how that feels when riding.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Mosh used to make a pretty sweet 24, I think it was tan. It would probably be hard to get your hands on one, though. I believe they stopped making bikes last year or the year before under the Giant name.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
turbojames said:
I'd like the bike to hold its own on dirt jumps too

that is usually determined more by the rider then the bike.

turbojames

Chimp
Nov 16, 2003
how good is the KHE Black Jack? It's got one of the longer top tubes I've found on a 20" wheeled bike, dirt tires, and a rear V-brake which is pretty much what I am looking for.

If you are looking for a 24'' BMX, I would say that Nyquist R24 is you best bike for your money. For a 20'', you can do better than the KHE, they have a goofy headtube/rotor setup and it looks like Black Jack has 1 piece cranks. The Mosh 4 star bikes that www.danscomp.com has on sale are very good deals at $250-$345 depending on the set up and have very good parts for the price. They have 20.75-21 inch top tubes which are good for your hight for a bmx bike. It will feel shorter but you will get used to it. There are a lot of other choices out there too if you want to spend more. Look for an all 4130 chromoly frame and fork and 3-piece cranks. Macneil has a street/trails frame with a 22 inch top tube that you could get if you want a longer top tube since you're used to mountain bikes. You would ave to build that up though. Personally, I would get the Mosh Lux 4 Star , its one of the best deals i've seen. Or find something used.

Fat Head

Chimp
Jun 13, 2004
dfw, tx
20 inchers are more fun to mess around on, and 24s have long wheel bases
you'd be fine with a 20.5in or higher size wise.
look at a volume blacksheep or others on the danscomp auction page.