Quantcast

~~Good Thursday Morning~~

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
We did the ride of silence last night in honor of bikers killed or injured on the road, they asked my friend to lead it, and she asked me to ride with her...it was pretty cool to be at the front of a 100 bikers with cops stopping traffic to let us ride thru redlights/intersections.

http://www.rideofsilence.com

splat

Nam I am
Good Job Doug !

Rained like a Mofo last night , s No ride , home which means No ride to work today . have a Dentist appointment at 4, but we are going to be doing our thursday Night ride after my dentist appointment , in Satan's Playground hopefully it doesn't rain.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Almost Friday.....work then bike shop work, then work on making wheels true from weekend race/attempt to mount my Nevegal on 6.1 rims (this is my hell).

The weekend is beginning to shape up - Friday post ride in Grafton, Saturday is chore day and birthing class pot luck, Sunday is Plattekill for a 1/2 day then more pre-baby chores!

Any monkies want to Platty with me on Sunday? There will also be a NYS XC race happening there, so it may be some fun watchin' on the downhills!

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial
Are they waking you up early Rob? Have you bought that motion sprinkler yet?

Well I had my two interviews yesterday, both went well I think. One interview lasted just over two hours. The other one lasted 3.5 hours. Anyone else ever had long interviews like that? One company said they will offer me 10-15% more then what I'm currently making. And I just got a job offer from the other company offering me 20% more with a package worth almost 40% more than what I'm currently making. Of course I don't clearly understand this package:banghead: I'm so confused.

How is everyone else doing today?

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Good Morning!

A beautiful Thursday morning here in central NC. A contrast to yesterday, when reports flooded into local emergency 911 centers about wildfires because people were reporting seeing and smelling smoke over much of the central part of the state. The cause? Smoke from the wildfires in Georgia and Florida had shifted on the strong southernly winds and made it all the way up here in a matter of hours!! Crazy.

Justine threw me a bone yesterday and got home early so I could hightail it out to Nice-Guy-Mikes house for some dirtjumping under the lights for a little while. The night quickly had a bad kharma laid upon it when Nice-Guy-Mike bodyboarded his bike down the lander of the 3rd set and made a sound somewhat similar to 3 heavy bags of wet sand hitting the ground. He got a Dangerboy bar end cap tattoo on his chest for his efforts and his bell was rung pretty hard. Done for the night 2 runs in. My moment of ineptitude came on--and some of you may have experienced this-- that last run of the night where you're pretty tired, but still wired enough to make a really sketchy run because you just don't want to quit riding even though you know you should have 3 runs ago.........It was really silly--I was just goofing around, trying to manual down the lander and the bike just got away from me. I hit the eject button, but when my left leg came down, it came down fully locked straight and just kind of augered into the ground--painful. That was enough for me.......I headed back up the hill and grabbed a tallboy from the cooler and called it a night. Today, the knee is super-sore and I'm doing the pimp-limp around the office. Looking forward to some couch-time today after work!!!

Edit: Forgot to add the obligatory night-jumping shot: Yours truly floating over the tabletop....

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Bryna stopped in the shop Tues to get race supplies for this one, so that gots me thinkin' about doing some dh'ing and xc watchin'. It should be especially good if it rains! (actually, platty is fun to ride in the wet).
being its now the NYS series I bet more people show up ... but Laszlo changed #2 & #3 to now conflict with two close root66 series races :banghead:

if I race I'll be on the SS...at platty :imstupid:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
A contrast to yesterday, when reports flooded into local emergency 911 centers about wildfires because people were reporting seeing and smelling smoke over much of the central part of the state. The cause? Smoke from the wildfires in Georgia and Florida had shifted on the strong southernly winds and made it all the way up here in a matter of hours!! Crazy.
We had one of these yesterday:

I can only imagine what kind of calls were received. The TV station said they were flooded with calls, and the wife had an *interesting* conversation on her way down in the elevator to check it out.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson

Well I had my two interviews yesterday, both went well I think. One interview lasted just over two hours. The other one lasted 3.5 hours. Anyone else ever had long interviews like that? One company said they will offer me 10-15% more then what I'm currently making. And I just got a job offer from the other company offering me 20% more with a package worth almost 40% more than what I'm currently making. Of course I don't clearly understand this package:banghead: I'm so confused.

When do you have to decide by? That's really great!

Personally I think you should take one of them so you can join the Vassar Farm post-work rides :thumb:

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
Morning, not much last night. Today is my Friday as I took tomorrow off the volunteer at my son's school. He also turns 7 tomorrow so I'll spend the rest of the day with him. This morning I dropped my car off for a plethora of things. Can't wait to get the call for the estimate. Tonight have some more yard work to do.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Rained like a Mofo last night
We did the ride of silence last night in honor of bikers killed or injured on the road,
i almost got killed on the ride home last night...horrible conditions, pouring, cold rain and winds as Splat mentions, and i had a couple thunder/lightning strikes at the very end; i didn't have a rain shell, just a long and a short sleeve jersey and baggies ...about 2 miles from home, i need to go about ~1/8 of a mile on rt 114, which is a fairly major road. it's a one lane road for each direction of traffic, w/ a center lane for left-hand turns. cars routinely go 50+ on it, though the actual speed limit is 45.

anyway, i come out of the side street onto 114 and look to my left. no cars for ~1/2 mile, so i immediately turn right onto 114 and get into the center lane, w/ my left arm out to signal my impending turn. as i near where my turn is, i see a BMW (must have heard about my x5 comment) start drifting towards the center lane, and he's not slowing down. at this point, his left wheels are over the road stripe, and there's no sign of correction. my options to go right and avoid him are limited, as the cars which were 1/2 mile behind me are now gaining fast, and i'd get run over. the other option of trying to cross in front of him would be suicidal as well, given his speed.

so, w/o any real options available, the hand of fate swoops in, and the driver suddenly realizes what he's doing, and swerves back into his lane.

goddamn. that was f'in scary.

on the plus side, Electrelane was pretty damned good last night. the guitar player is hot.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Morning all. Crappy weather last night meant indoor workout for me. I was hoping to go on the ride of silence, but I had Syd & riding with her in the rain didn't seem like a good option. At any rate, I am getting out for a nice road ride again tonight with Syd....we're hoping for a 30 mile loop but we'll see what kind of mood she's in. Lately, she's been taking a nap so I can ride for a while. Other than that, not too much else going on today. Weather's looking crappy for the weekend so I don't know what I'll be doing :(

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Yupper! I've gotta train somehow. We have SO much fun together too!

I'm going to be yelled at tomorrow for driving fast with her in the trailer. How fast is too fast anyway? ;)
Treesaw, Can you elaborate more on the burly infant carrier you mentioned in yesterday's GMT thread?

Just curious. Thanks.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
I got a 90 minute trail ride in last night. Crashed pretty good, the first time I've crashed in a long time. Guess I need to push myself more and stop being a pansy-ass

This week is flying by, I can't believe it's already Thursday.

ghettorigged

lawn dart extraordinare
Apr 8, 2002
Killadelphia
:stosh:

g'mornin'.... er, afternoon... just stopped by to post a post about some ****e, and now i have to get back to "work" :twitch:

hope y'all are enjoying this perfect weather! w00t

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
Got an update on the car. People from yesterdays thread were right. I have apower steering leak. That 's not all though. I also need front brakes, but the big pain is the EGR valve is gone. The problem is they are not sure they can get it off the manifold because of the amount of rust. If they can't I need a new manifold.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.

Nope. They start at 8, and I'm out of bed no later than 6:20. Works well for me.

So I'm guessing you may be moving your work to Po-po soon enough? Does this mean you'll be joining the after work ride club?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Treesaw, Can you elaborate more on the burly infant carrier you mentioned in yesterday's GMT thread?

Just curious. Thanks.
I have the burly solo trailer:

I know that chariot makes one that you can get an infant sling for, but I can't seem to find a picture of it. Ours is big enough that you could strap an infant carseat into though.

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial
Nope. They start at 8, and I'm out of bed no later than 6:20. Works well for me.

So I'm guessing you may be moving your work to Po-po soon enough? Does this mean you'll be joining the after work ride club?
I have no idea what to do yet. Another $5.00 an hour plus bonus and some times a pre-vailing wage job, does sound very nice. I have a lot to think about during the next few days :twitch: Of course all of this with a kid on the way.......:twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch:

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I have no idea what to do yet. Another $5.00 an hour plus bonus and some times a pre-vailing wage job, does sound very nice. I have a lot to think about during the next few days :twitch: Of course all of this with a kid on the way.......:twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch:
Change is good IMO. Making the job change I did last year was the best thing I did. It changed my entire sense of well-being. But,I didn't have a kid on the way (knock on wood). It's all about how much change you can take. Some people thrive on it, for others, it scares the crap out of them!